× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 - Wakes up every month

robmash
Aspirant

RN102 - Wakes up every month

Hi all,

I have encountered a strange behaviour with my NAS.  This is my backup NAS which spends most of its life powered off, but I have Wake on LAN enabled.  Looking back through the log, I can see a pretty strong pattern where the NAS will turn itself on exactly one month after it was shut down.  This is not a scheduled event - it is always a month after it was powered off, regardless of when that was.  The log below demonstrates this - shutdown on March 18, started on April 18.  Shutdown April 22, started May 22.  Shutdown May 24. started June 24.

This behaviour has been noted in earlier forum posts (now closed).  In the earlier post this was noted on firmware 6.8, but it still appears to be present in 6.9.5 (Hotfix 1).  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  The previous post suggested this was related to WoL, which I would prefer to keep enabled.  There are no scheduled power events.

Until this is fixed, I will treat it as a 'feature' to remind me to perform my manual monthly backup!

Jun 24, 2019 12:33:35 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

May 24, 2019 12:31:39 System: The system is shutting down.

May 22, 2019 03:10:58 System: A hotfix was applied to your system (6.9.5 Hotfix 1).

May 22, 2019 03:08:02 System: A new firmware version (6.10.0) is available.

May 22, 2019 03:07:55 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

Apr 22, 2019 03:06:36 System: The system is shutting down.

Apr 22, 2019 03:05:59 System: The system is shutting down.

Apr 18, 2019 12:45:25 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

Mar 18, 2019 13:43:42 System: The system is shutting down.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RN102 - Wakes up every month

Hi @robmash, you could disable WOL lets say for about 5 weeks to see, whether "somebody" is waking up your nas on a regular base. If it continues with WOL disabled you would know, that the WOL-hypothesis is not true and could safely consider something else.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi @robmash, you could disable WOL lets say for about 5 weeks to see, whether "somebody" is waking up your nas on a regular base.

Or just disconnect the NAS from your network on July 23rd, and reconnect it on the 25th.

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenBwrote: "Or just disconnect the NAS from your network on July 23rd, and reconnect it on the 25th."

If @robmash would follow this suggestion and the nas will not be woken up, one would know, that something on the network is waking it up, not necessarily WOL, to be a bit pedantic :-). But Stephen's suggestion can be used to improve my initial one in the following way:

Disable WOL on July 23rd and enable it again on the 25th. After excluding, that WOL is the issue, next step could be to disconnect the nas from the network completely for the concerned timeframe in August.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements