× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 iTunes Server connects but is empty

RN_Dan
Aspirant

RN102 iTunes Server connects but is empty

Hello,

I am a complete NAS newbie so please bear with me. The main reason I purchased a NAS was media file backup (precious pictures and videos of wedding, honeymoon, new born baby etc!

I was also attracted to the 102 because of the stated native iTunes Server support, but I cannot get this to work.

I can open and view files and folders in Windows explorer, including the same Music folder set as the iTunes Server folder
I can view photographs on a PS3 using DNLA, but not music
I can connect itunes client to a shared library, but its appears to be empty

I'm guessing this is a permissions issue or some kind of iTunes specific file is missing.
I've searched these forums but cannot find any relevent hits.

RN102 is running the latest firmware 6.0.4

Any ideas?

-- Dan
Message 1 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What directory did you set as the path for the iTunes Server?
Message 2 of 18
StephenB
Guru

It does no harm to reset the folder permssions, so maybe try that.

The path name for Itunes needs to include the volume (\volume\folder)
Message 3 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should be /volume/folder not \volume\folder
Message 4 of 18
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
It should be /volume/folder not \volume\folder
:slap: Yes, forward slash, not back slash.

I hate the slash stuff. I am always reversing unix/linux and windows conventions. In ssh (and cmd) I usually cd one folder at a time...
Message 5 of 18
RN_Dan
Aspirant

Hello again,

I have a single disk installed (Samsung HD204UI) and the volume name is "data" because this is the default from the factory reset & format.
The iTunes server directory is set to "/data/music". I've tried the rebuild permissions feature with no avail 😞

I've learned since my post that my HDD (Samsung spinpoint F4 2TB) is not officially supported on the RN102
It gets worse I have a second identical disk that I intended to install, but this has data I need to migrate (using an icybox to PC and then back to NAS with estata cable).

This NAS was a poorly researched buy and that's my fault. I wanted to buy a NAS and avoid the expense of new HDDs because the pair I have are barely used.
The same drive is officially supported for the DUO range, so I'm not sure what the risks of a non supported drive might be.

This non supported disk could be the root cause, if you guys think it is, I'll try and return my 102 in exchange for a DUO...
-- Dan
Message 6 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The disks wouldn't be the cause of this issue. Anyway the iTunes Server on the older models is inferior.
Message 7 of 18
RN_Dan
Aspirant

I can now browse and stream all forms of media using DNLA, but still got the itunes server problem. Is there any I can switch some kind of detailed logging on the PC or NAS to trace the problem? Thanks, -- Dan
Message 8 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Just to be clear on the problem - you are seeing the library in iTunes, but you are not seeing any music?
Message 9 of 18
RN_Dan
Aspirant

Hello, yes that is correct. Images below show the library is visible, when I open, it appears empty

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12051581/itunes1.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12051581/itunes2.png

Thanks for the help
Message 10 of 18
Chewbacca
Aspirant

RN_Dan: What file extensions are in the music folder? Can you try it with just one file with a mp3 extension?

Its possible its having a issue with one of the files and itunes server is unable to show any of the songs.
Message 11 of 18
RN_Dan
Aspirant

Chewbacca: a breakthrough thanks to your tip. I've now created a share called "test" (good use of imagination) and renamed a single known good mp3 file to test.mp3. The iTunes server now works... for this single file!

My music folder contains 11.5gb over 2,000 files in 294 folders. Any suggestions how I can track down the rouge files?

I don't have console access to the NAS or access to any kind of Genie apps or tools.
Genie Marketplace is the other thing that is not working on my RN102!

Thanks for the advice that has got me this far
Message 12 of 18
Chewbacca
Aspirant

RN_Dan: Are all the files mp3? Ive seen some issues with a weird file name that would cause a issue. Is it music and podcasts?

What is the issue with Genie?
Message 13 of 18
RN_Dan
Aspirant

On the RN102 admin I click on "Apps" and my genie credentials are apparently accepted (I see the spinning progress icon).
It spins for several minutes and then seems timeout, the outcome is a blank area on the screen where I would expect to see a list of available apps.

I have tried to login at https://genie.netgear.com on a web browser this frequently times out at login, at best see a post login page that reads "no devices detected" or similar.

To test further I've created a separate account generated as part of netgear product registration (specified my RN102 serial number etc during registration). I get the same behaviour and outcome when I try this as an alterate Genie login, (alternate as in a different email account to the one I specified during the NAS first time install setup wizard)

My internet connection is ADSL via a Netgear DGN2200. (16mb down 1mb up).
This router is defect free and performs well, I see no dropped packets in the log.

If I need to setup specific firewall rules for Genie, they are not currently in place. I didn't see anything in the documentation to say firewall rules or port forwarding was necessary... I do not see the cloud icon under system overview, but I do see Internet connection and online as green under the Cloud settings. Perhaps this a clue, but I don't know what to try next...

This bug and the itunes issue kind of taking the joy away from my first and new NAS!

-- Dan
Message 14 of 18
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

Please check that the path is correct? "/data/music" or "/data/Music"?
Just now I tested with "/data/music", iTunes Server connects but the folder is empty.
I don't know whether you meet this kind of situation?
Message 15 of 18
RN_Dan
Aspirant

Amidala: now I feel very foolish! Yes changing music for Music has fixed the problem! After lots of disk activity the entire library is now visible!
One for the FAQ, I didn't realise the NAS OS was case sensitive!

Thanks again, -- Dan
Message 16 of 18
RN_Dan
Aspirant

Genie Marketplace now working! I upgraded to 6.0.5 earlier in the week and disabled Genie because it still was not working.

I saw in another thread the tip to enter HTTPS and disable the 2nd port. This fixed the pop-up error message problems that arrived with 6.0.5.

This evening I have re-enabled Genie and it now appears to be working. Now just need to test buying and installing an App!
Message 17 of 18
KenBennett
Guide

Go to Shares, Music, Settings. Select Network Access. Make sure iTunes is turned on here as well. That fixed the issue for me. I don't know what turned it off, but it works now.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements