× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 setting Raid 0 to get 1+1 or 1&1

JabbaTheCat
Guide

RN102 setting Raid 0 to get 1+1 or 1&1

Just got a RN102 and would like to set up the two disks as either Raid 0 across both or two seperate network drives.

Currently RN102 is building some Raid 1 setup with a few hours to go. Can I stop this process without corrupting anything, if so how?

How do I then go about initiating the Raid 0 process ?

Regards

JTC

Message 1 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

Re: RN102 setting Raid 0 to get 1+1 or 1&1

You can interrupt it, as long as you haven't put any data on it it will be OK.  If you switch off Xraid and setup the volume you want as below, it will interrupt the build anyway.

To set up anything other than Xraid you need to switch off Xraid in the GUI, it's on the Volume tab.

Then select new volume to set up whatever you want.

I would definitely go for 1 volume on each drive.  If you have a spanned volume then a single disk failure causes the whole volume's data to be lost.

Remember to consider how you are going to backup these volumes.

Message 2 of 8
JabbaTheCat
Guide

Thank you for your reply.

The RN102 is set in Raid 1 and I cannot get the  syncing to stop even after switching from X-Raid to Flex-raid. What do I do next?

I'm running Raidar under OSX10.8.5 and Safari.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Switch to flexraid and destroy the volume.

Then create a new one in the mode that you want.  Ideally call one of the volumes data.

Like Vandermerwe, I don't recommend creating a single RAID-0 volume that spans more than one disk.  It is too fragile.

Message 4 of 8
JabbaTheCat
Guide

Found the hidden settings button on the left hand graphic, ran the destroy function and have setup two seperate drives.

Will try getting the shares etc organised...

Message 5 of 8
JabbaTheCat
Guide

Thanks for your input.

I've setup two seperate drives but I will add that I'm running an old NAS Duo in Raid 0 across both drives 24/7/365 for the last six years without a problem...

Message 6 of 8
JabbaTheCat
Guide

Just to say thank you to you both for your help, the drives are now visible to all machines on the network.

Regards

JTC

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@JabbaTheCat wrote:

...I'm running an old NAS Duo in Raid 0 across both drives 24/7/365 for the last six years without a problem...

My duo v1 ended up in that mode also some years ago, and I decided to leave it.  Earlier this year a drive failed, and of course I lost all my data. Since it was one of two backups, it was not a problem to lose it.

I installed another disk, and set the unit up again as jbod.  Now if a disk fails I'll lose half the data, but the other half will still be there.

If the odds of a failing disk are 10% per year (just picking a number to make the point), then on average:

-With jbod, on average you lose 100% of your data every 10 years (1/2 your data every 10 years, but on both disks).

-With spanning RAID-0, on average the volume fails every 5 years, so you lose 100% of your data every 5 years.  

So the data loss rate approximately doubles.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements