× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 slow blinking power light after 6.6.0 update - can't access admin page

sc101hell
Tutor

RN102 slow blinking power light after 6.6.0 update - can't access admin page

Hi all,

Just did the latest update but have a problem. 

• Admin page is uvavailable, it does start loading but comes up with the "ReadyNas Admin Page is unavailable"
  • I can access shares and copy back and copy to/ from it.
  • Power light is slowly blinking. Pressing it once makes it speed up but the 2nd press doesn't turn it off
  • Two LEDs are constant for disks
  • I stupidly haven't setup ssh to it yet.

So, just wondered what my best course of action was. Was going to try pulling the power whilst making sure nothing was accessing it but thought I best check first... Is there some way to gracefully shut it down to see if it boots properly next time? Just wondering whether I should get everything off it first?

Tanks in advance for any help. 

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

Re: RN102 slow blinking power light after 6.6.0 update - can't access admin page

Don't know if this is helpful but just to say Raidar 6.2 won't deted the NAS. 

Message 2 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

Is there any other way to get to the logs?

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

No, I think you will need to try your forcible power-down idea.

Message 4 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

Well, the good thing is raidar is now detecting it. It seems that the update didn't take as it's still on 6.5.2

The disks... not so much. Still no access to the webpage

On the disks.... 

When I pulled the power I did pull the disks at first but got the same result as now. So this is currently with the power pulled again and with the disks added.

Now I thought I should be able to get logs from Raidar by clicking on the NAS image 5 times as per (http://kb.netgear.com/27391/ReadyNAS-RAIDar-6-0?cid=wmt_netgear_organic) but that doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas?

Capture.PNG
(Edited to include the link to the netgear support page for raidar that I omitted)

Message 5 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

It also seems to have lost it's Name - was NETNAS beforehand

Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@sc101hell wrote:

It also seems to have lost it's Name - was NETNAS beforehand

If the unit isn't seeing the disks, it will use the default hostname.

Message 7 of 17
bedlam1
Prodigy

Click "Download Logs"

Message 8 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

thanks gents. I am idiot. Seem I didn't put the disks back properly!

We're back up - thanks for all the help. I'll send the logs to mdgm anyway in case they're useful.

bedlam- where did you see the download logs part? 

Message 9 of 17
bedlam1
Prodigy

5 posts up

"Now I thought I should be able to get logs from Raidar by clicking on the NAS image 5 times as per (http://kb.netgear.com/27391/ReadyNAS-RAIDar-6-0?cid=wmt_netgear_organic) but that doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas?"

Message 10 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

Ah, I thought that should bring up the download logs part but it doesn't. Perhaps because no disks were there or they've just changed the behaviour and that page is out of date. 

It now shows as standard now it's all working. As you could see in the image it wasn't there beforehand. 

Message 11 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

Thanks StephenB - I think I need to understand this device a s little better. I thought all that info was on firmware but I'm assuming it uses the disk for the OS somehow?

Also, I'm below the 20% free disk percentage for certain. Wondering what effect that will have?

Have you come across any decent links for that kind of informaion?

Message 12 of 17
bedlam1
Prodigy

I could not see the image at the time I posted.......was just an icon

Message 13 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have two data volumes and one of them is very full. It could be worthwhile seeing if updating your backup and freeing a bit of space makes any difference.

Message 14 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

Thanks mgdm. Clearing some space now. 

I've actually another question about the file sizes as the NAS is misreporting a folder, although it was doing this before the update so I've put that in another post (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/RN102-Mis-reporting-share-size/m-p/1184614#M121...

On the disk usage - I'm trying to find the logic behind 20% free space. i.e. how much that's an ideal vs necessary. A lot of my data is static once on there, Have you come across anything on this?

Message 15 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's not essential to have that much free space, but filling a volume nearly 100% full isn't ideal either.

Message 16 of 17
sc101hell
Tutor

Cheers and understood.

I'd assume that, with fairly static data, no snapshots etc then I could have a small amount of free space - 5% is still nearly 200GB on a 4TB disk. I'd see that as reasoable on another system I was running. I'm not really worried about fragmentation etc. 

BUT I don't want to be that person that ignores the warnings just to find out that the NAS is doing something clever that needs it. Hence wanting to read up on it if possible. 

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements