× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 suddenly not visible on the network, but OK on PC

Notle
Aspirant

RN102 suddenly not visible on the network, but OK on PC

Hello all. My RN102 NAS OS6 fitted with 2 x 2TB WD drives has performed fine for over 4 years. However a week ago I noticed that my windows 10 PC culd not access the device, tho it worked fine the day before.

I discovered that none of the computers on the network can find the NAS, nor can RAIDar, nor can READYCloud nor can any browser (Firefox, Explorer, etc) locate it. Nor can I ping its fixed address 192.168.1.2.

When I disconnect the network, and connect the NAS via its Ethernet directly into my Win10 PC, all is OK. RAIDar finds it, as do all the browsers. Of course I cannot be on the Internet in that configuration, so I cannot check if READYcloud can see it.

My attempts to solve the problem have included:

• Reinstalling the operating system,
  • Updating Windows10 in case a recent upgrade had caused the problem,
  • Changing the NAS IP address from fixed to DCHP - which caused no end of dramas till I found it again, and gave it back its old address,
  • Reading about every post on this forum, and trying many of the suggested fixes all to no avail.

I noticed that a warning in the log file warns there is "only" 20% spare capacity on the disks, however I do not consider that should be a cause of the issue I have. I will upgrade to 2 x 4GB disks, but I want to get the box working properly before I spend that extra money.

Having now played around for over a week, I am now at my wits end. Any assistance will be received with enormous graditude! 

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Notle
Aspirant

Re: RN102 suddenly not visible on the network, but OK on PC

Thanks StephenB for your quick response. To answer your questions, I reply as follows:-

Are the LAN LEDs on the NAS and the router (or switch) both lit? Yes - All the functions of the device are operating normally. i.e. the device boots up normally: all lights operate as they should: I can access the different boot menus via the reset button: etc, etc

Have you tried a different LAN cable? Yes, ........

WELL, I got about halfway through answering this question, and turned the box around so that I could see the Ethernet socket lights and explain that they were not blinking when connected to the network (as opposed to just the PC) when I noticed the green light blinking. I clicked on the browser tab which was still on the NAS front page, and had been showing the "not available" message, when PRESTO, there was the front page, fully functioning. (I HAD changed the network cable because the one I was using was too long, and so swapped it foe a shorter one. To confirm if that was the problem I have in the meantime replaced it with the long cable, and of course it works fine too).

Of course in the meantime I have wiggled all the various connectors, gently pulled the cables to make sure there are no dodgy connections, etc, etc, etc.

I graduated in 1965 as an Electronics Engineer, and have grown up with all aspects of electronics and computers for the last 50 or so years.

It never fails to amaze and annoy me when seemingly intractable and problematic issues just suddenly disappear without any apparent rhyme or reason.

My great friend, a software engineer whom I worked with for many years, used to say "show me" when we complained about a software bug. Of course the problem would NEVER appear when we tried to show him.

When my box suddenly decided to come alive, it prompted me to install the latest firmware v6.9.4 which I did very nervously, but successfully.

So it has fixed itself withour explanation.

Thanks StephenB for your help, and fingers crossed, it will stay fixed. Cheers, Peter.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Notle wrote:

Hello all. My RN102 NAS OS6 fitted with 2 x 2TB WD drives has performed fine for over 4 years. However a week ago I noticed that my windows 10 PC culd not access the device, tho it worked fine the day before.

I discovered that none of the computers on the network can find the NAS, nor can RAIDar, nor can READYCloud nor can any browser (Firefox, Explorer, etc) locate it. Nor can I ping its fixed address 192.168.1.2.

Are the LAN LEDs on the NAS and the router (or switch) both lit? 

Have you tried a different LAN cable?

Have you tried a different switch port (connecting directly to the router)?

Has something changed on your home network?

Maybe do the direct connect again, and download the log zip file.  There might be some clues in there.

@Notle wrote:

I noticed that a warning in the log file warns there is "only" 20% spare capacity on the disks, however I do not consider that should be a cause of the issue I have. 

I agree.

Message 2 of 3
Notle
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB for your quick response. To answer your questions, I reply as follows:-

Are the LAN LEDs on the NAS and the router (or switch) both lit? Yes - All the functions of the device are operating normally. i.e. the device boots up normally: all lights operate as they should: I can access the different boot menus via the reset button: etc, etc

Have you tried a different LAN cable? Yes, ........

WELL, I got about halfway through answering this question, and turned the box around so that I could see the Ethernet socket lights and explain that they were not blinking when connected to the network (as opposed to just the PC) when I noticed the green light blinking. I clicked on the browser tab which was still on the NAS front page, and had been showing the "not available" message, when PRESTO, there was the front page, fully functioning. (I HAD changed the network cable because the one I was using was too long, and so swapped it foe a shorter one. To confirm if that was the problem I have in the meantime replaced it with the long cable, and of course it works fine too).

Of course in the meantime I have wiggled all the various connectors, gently pulled the cables to make sure there are no dodgy connections, etc, etc, etc.

I graduated in 1965 as an Electronics Engineer, and have grown up with all aspects of electronics and computers for the last 50 or so years.

It never fails to amaze and annoy me when seemingly intractable and problematic issues just suddenly disappear without any apparent rhyme or reason.

My great friend, a software engineer whom I worked with for many years, used to say "show me" when we complained about a software bug. Of course the problem would NEVER appear when we tried to show him.

When my box suddenly decided to come alive, it prompted me to install the latest firmware v6.9.4 which I did very nervously, but successfully.

So it has fixed itself withour explanation.

Thanks StephenB for your help, and fingers crossed, it will stay fixed. Cheers, Peter.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements