× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 trying to update from 6.2.5 to 6.4.0 but fails every time...

kpurcell
Tutor

I have a lot of web development work on the NAS. I pretty much left the system with default confugurations other than initially setting up shares. Not sure why it woudl be making so many snapshots after the firmware update. I now seems to do nothign but snapshots and really keeping the unit CPU/Memory bound.

Been trying to get in via the admin to update the settings but completly leaves me on the admin splashscreen.

Message 26 of 32
kpurcell
Tutor

My system is now so busy that It does not display status in the LCD window when you press the power button. But the activity light is flashign and I can hear the drives doing something.

I guess it is making snapshots so often they are overlapping and slowing down the system.

Cannot get in via the web admin, just times out after displaying the splash screen. So frustrating!

Message 27 of 32
pulmark
Aspirant

After upgrading my RN102 from 6.2.5 to 6.4.0, RN102 is stuck with the boot (power light blinking). I cannot access the admin panel. The disk shares comes available every now and then for a short time, but most of the time I cannot browse them either.

I tried to fix the problem by doing the OS reinstall via boot menu, but no success. After that I prepared USB stick for USB recovery of firmware. I tried firmware update for both images 6.4.0 and 6.4.1.T29 but no success either. RAIDar can display information of the NAS and it looks like the USB recovery succeeded because it shows that firmware version is 6.4.1-T29.

Anyway the firmware update of 6.4.1-T29 beta release didn't fix the stuck with the boot problem.

Questions:

1. Is there any possibility to revert back to 6.2.5 and how ?

2. 6.4.0 release notes says that the quota management can take a long time during the boot, does it mean it takes several days or weeks to complete or what does long time means ?

3. After firmware update via USB stick, is it necessary to do OS reinstall via boot menu ?

Factory reset is not an option for me. The NAS has been working well for 2 years, no problems with firmware updates until now. 

Message 28 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@pulmark wrote:

Anyway the firmware update of 6.4.1-T29 beta release didn't fix the stuck with the boot problem.

Questions:

1. Is there any possibility to revert back to 6.2.5 and how ?

I suggest contacting support.

ifixdevices posted a way to revert, but it requires a factory reset.

Message 29 of 32
pulmark
Aspirant

Based on fxmail experience, I rebooted into volume read-only mode and NAS booted properly so I can run the backup now. Does read-only mode boot success indicate, that the stuck with the boot- problem is related to quota management ?

Questions about factory default boot mode:

1. What firmware version does it use, the current, installed one or some other previous version ?

2. Do I need to start from the very beginning, create shares/users/groups, install apps, ssh access, certificates etc... ?

Message 30 of 32
gabriels
Tutor

same for me with RN104... i was prompted to upgrade firmware and unlucky me i did

when i first upgraded the firmware, right after purchasing the RN104, it went smooth, so because of that i really did not think about doing research this time before upgrade

now i hate even buying this netgear, it's Friday evening, i have to go home, and the NAS is not working... if my boss finds out i am dead

i opened a ticket, got some questions from netgear support, and no answer since i sent reply.... pffff....

Message 31 of 32
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello gabriels,

If there is no important data stored yet to the NAS volume then you can try factory reset with the disks inserted. This formats all the disks and use the current firmware version.

For support, I suggest you call support center instead.

@pulmark, factory reset will use the current firmware version the NAS is running before you pushed the reset. It is like fresh install that you will have to start from scratch (create volume, password, users and shares) because it will format the disks inserted so all data will be deleted along with its current settings.

Regards,

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements