× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 trying to update from 6.2.5 to 6.4.0 but fails every time...

StigB38
Star

RN102 trying to update from 6.2.5 to 6.4.0 but fails every time...

No matter what I try - auto update or manual my RN102 won't install 6.4.0 and despite saying it has uploaded and then re-booted it re-starts on 6.2.5  I've reset to factory defaults a few times and it makes no difference - that was the only way I got to 6.2.5 but it now won't load 6.4.0.  Any ideas? Since resetting to factory defaults I've not re-installed any of my files so at the moment there is loads of space!

Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
StigB38
Star

OK solved by checking other 6.4.0 posts and using the ReadyNAS OS 6: USB Recovery Tool at the link below - it took me 5 different USB sticks before one worked, but when it did it was quick and easy.  Note that I held the Backup button down for about 15 seconds whilst booting - both the power and LED light just above the Backup botton were flashing together rapidly, then after about another 10-15 seconds the power light went solid on, followed by the other LED on solidly.  It shut down after only a couple of minutes (which I thought was a bit quick), but I removed the USB stick and booted normally and I now have 6.4.0 installed 🙂  Now to restore my files...

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 32

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

probably the web browser still having the page in cache. 

try refresh the page.

alternatively verify the firmware version thru raidar and hit admin page

Message 2 of 32
StigB38
Star

Tried that I'm afraid - Firefox clears cache when it's closed & tried IE as well with same result.

Raidar says 6.2.5 and so does the Admin screen when logged in, which also tries to Auto Update.

Having done a Factory Reset only a few weeks ago to update to 6.2.5 (I was a bit slow noticing it) I don't want to copy all my files again from the backup only to have to do another factory reset.
Message 3 of 32
StephenB
Guru

What apps do you have installed?  Have you done anything with ssh?

Message 4 of 32
xupaaki
Tutor

I'm exacltly with the same problem.

Already tried everything, appart from, factory reset...

I even tried manual instalation and disable all the apps... It starts transfering the firmware, restarts to install it, but when back on stills with the 6.2.5 and prompts me again to install the 6.4....

Message 5 of 32
StephenB
Guru

The failure is a sign that something isn't right (it probably isn't specific to 6.4 itself).  So you shouldn't neglect it.

One potential cause of a failed update or a failed app install is a filling OS partition.  If you are reasonably good with ssh, you can diagnose that and probably even fix it yourself.

If it isn't a filling OS partition (or you don't know ssh) then contact support.  

Message 6 of 32
StigB38
Star

StephenB - I did a factory reset so there are no apps installed and I understand the process also reformats the disks which is why the data needs backing up first

Message 7 of 32
ahambou
Initiate

Having the same issue with my ReadyNas and firmware 6.4.0.

I have already contacted Netgear support and waiting for their reply.

Message 8 of 32
StigB38
Star

StephenB - No idea about SSH but will read up and see what I can do!  Support usually unsupportiive...

Message 9 of 32
StephenB
Guru

I haven't needed Netgear support often, but my experiences have been positive.

From the sound of it, quite a few people are having problems.   Support could have a handle on it already - if not they likely will soon.

Perhaps just stay with 6.2.5 for a little while.

Message 10 of 32
StigB38
Star

Great ahambou lets hope there's a simple solution 🙂

I'm just not keen to reinstall my backed up files if I have to do a Factory Reset again so will stick with 6.2.5 for a bit longer as you suggest StephenB. Thanks
Message 11 of 32
StigB38
Star

Hi StephenB

Got SSH set up and checked the OS partition which appears to have plenty of space as only 15% used

ReadyNAS df -h.jpg

I'm guessing that as I did a Factory Reset when trying to install 6.2.5 this also clears the OS partition? Not sure what to try next, but keen to find a solution soon as I want to get my data back on it having backed it all up before doing the Factory Reset.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@StigB38 wrote:

I'm guessing that as I did a Factory Reset when trying to install 6.2.5 this also clears the OS partition? 

Yes, it formats the drives, installs the OS onto them from the flash memory, and kicks off the setup wizard.

Message 13 of 32
StigB38
Star

OK solved by checking other 6.4.0 posts and using the ReadyNAS OS 6: USB Recovery Tool at the link below - it took me 5 different USB sticks before one worked, but when it did it was quick and easy.  Note that I held the Backup button down for about 15 seconds whilst booting - both the power and LED light just above the Backup botton were flashing together rapidly, then after about another 10-15 seconds the power light went solid on, followed by the other LED on solidly.  It shut down after only a couple of minutes (which I thought was a bit quick), but I removed the USB stick and booted normally and I now have 6.4.0 installed 🙂  Now to restore my files...

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952

Message 14 of 32
ahambou
Initiate

This worked for me also. This was the solution provided by Netgear Level 2 support.

Message 15 of 32
xupaaki
Tutor

didn't worked for me, even with the recovery tool.

I tried severla usb stick but wasn,t able to install 6.4... with the same usb sticks I was able to reinstall 6.2.5, so I guess the problem aren't the usb sticks... I'm gonna give up...

Message 16 of 32
fxmail
Guide

stick with 6.2.5 until 6.4.1 comes out.  6.4.0 is extremely slow and then now my unit is bricked.  I dont think they tested it.  It scans the file system and is a pig and now my NAS is stuck at booting....

Message 17 of 32
StigB38
Star

Mine has been working fine since upgrading to 6.4.0 so I don't think it wil be the sotware that's a problem.  I don't run many Apps which may help, but it's certainly not slow.

Message 18 of 32
fxmail
Guide

Sorry I have a RN104(arm based) and I have had nothing but issues with 6.4.0 firmware update

Message 19 of 32
ifixidevices
Luminary

Can confirm (or at least agree with those who have experienced issues) that if you're on 6.2.5 keep it. There's no game-changer in 6.4.0 to risk a stable unit.

Message 20 of 32
kpurcell
Tutor

Adding to the conversation. I have a unit that that updated to 6.4.0 and it is now practically worthless. Stuck on a blinking activity light, the admin page is rarely available. I don't run any apps and only have a couple of shares via AFP & NFS. Also my 16TB of drives are 84% empty!

Seems they did not even test this update in any real world situation.

Message 21 of 32
fxmail
Guide

As mentioned I have a RN104 arm based unit and updated the firmware and was stuck on booting and the power light was at continuous flashing.  I was held hostage by Netgear tech support until I paid them to fix it.  They actually blamed it on a hardware issue, issued an RMA # and was going to make me pay more money to get it fixed.  Plus they didnt know how I would get my data off.  I learned through other posts about other people issues with this update and was convinced that it was not a hardware issue but their firmware update.  I got a second opinion and tech support blamed the issue on my data needing to be balanced before I upgraded the firmware.  I am not sure how I was supposed to know to do that.  The firmware update should have automatically checked to see if this needed to be done and provided a message or SOMETHING!! 

Anyways I found out myself through other posts that if you boot into readyonly mode you can copy the data off.  Then I did a factory reset which wipes everything and ALL your data and copied all my data back onto the NAS.  Make sure you get your data off before you try this!!!  It seems to be stable now, I have restored all my data, and all my other issues I was having previously with backups seem ok now.

I spent 2 weeks of my time trying to recover and all they said was it was because I DIDNT DO a BALANCE OF THE DATA before I updated the firmware.  I bought this NAS because I thought it would be more reliable than a PC with raid and sharing turning on but NOT.

I was trying to fix other issues I was having by doing the firmware update. 

If if is not broken dont fix it.

Anyways.....Good luck and hope helps.

Message 22 of 32
StigB38
Star

Doesn't the RN102 only support up to 8TB? Therefore is part of the problem the fact that you say you have 16TB installed...
Message 23 of 32
kpurcell
Tutor

Actually my unit is a RN104. The topic title was for a RN102 but those got conflated.

Message 24 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

kpurcell, I can see from your logs that you have a very large number of snapshots. You might benefit from changes in 6.4.1 beta: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-4-1-T21-Beta-1/m-p/999457#U99945...

Furthermore I see no evidence of volume maintenance being run on this system. It would be advisable to schedule regular volume maintenance (defrag & balance).

What kind of data are you storing on your system?

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements