× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 will not accept SMB/CIFS network map requests from any Windows 8.1 machine

Zonker
Apprentice

RN102 will not accept SMB/CIFS network map requests from any Windows 8.1 machine

After the recent upgrades to 6.5x, I have not been able to map the shares on my RN102.  I made sure that the shares have SMB enabled and anonymous access checked.  This did not happen before the upgrade.  Since this is happening on multiple Windows 8.1 machines on my network, I have to assume the problem is on the ReadyNAS side.

I am able to access the NAS through its IP address on a the web browser and I am able to access it through a DNLA only share I have.

Any Ideas?  Using the Windows Diagnose wizard does not reveal any solution on the error code: 0x80070035

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN102 will not accept SMB/CIFS network map requests from any Windows 8.1 machine

@Zonker wrote:

yes I'm on 6.5.1 and can access using ReadyCLOUD.  The problem is mapping the shares using Windows File Explorer.

I've seen a few of these now, and so far the solution is to add/replace credentials for the NAS in the windows credentials manager.

Try this as a test.  Open CMD and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin nasadminpassword

using the real ip address and admin password of course.  If you aren't using the default xraid, use the real volume name instead of "data".

First command terminates any open network sessions, and if it prompts let it proceed.  The second attempts to mount the NAS data volume as PC drive letter t.  Let us know if that works (or how it fails).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 16

All Replies
Zonker
Apprentice

I'm also noting that LAN access to the NFS shares has come to a complete crawl.. the transfer rates is about 5Mbps whereas my other non-ReadyNAS device is getting 90Mbps on the same switch.

Message 2 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Zonker,

Are you using ReadyCLOUD? If you will use or upgrade to 6.5.1, tell us if you will get the same behavior.

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 16
Zonker
Apprentice

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi Zonker,

Are you using ReadyCLOUD? If you will use or upgrade to 6.5.1, tell us if you will get the same behavior.

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Hi Brian,

yes I'm on 6.5.1 and can access using ReadyCLOUD.  The problem is mapping the shares using Windows File Explorer.

Z

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Zonker wrote:

I've seen a few of these now, and so far the solution is to add/replace credentials for the NAS in the windows credentials manager.

Try this as a test.  Open CMD and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin nasadminpassword

using the real ip address and admin password of course.  If you aren't using the default xraid, use the real volume name instead of "data".

First command terminates any open network sessions, and if it prompts let it proceed.  The second attempts to mount the NAS data volume as PC drive letter t.  Let us know if that works (or how it fails).

Message 5 of 16
Zonker
Apprentice

Hi Stephen,

Unfortunately no luck.  Here is the results:

C:\Windows\system32>net use * /delete
There are no entries in the list.

C:\Windows\system32>net use n: \\192.168.0.94\data /user:admin password
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

Z

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Did you ever set the NAS admin password?

I believe the mounting of the data volume is only enabled if you do change the admin password from the default.  So maybe do that, and try the net use again.

Message 7 of 16
Zonker
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

Yes I changed the password to one of my own choosing.  I just put "password" in the result above to hide the real password. 

Thanks,

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Zonker wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Yes I changed the password to one of my own choosing.  I just put "password" in the result above to hide the real password. 

Good.  And "data" is the volume name?

Message 9 of 16
Zonker
Apprentice

ok missed that on the volume name and corrected it.  I successfully connected to the volume, however when I disconnect and try reconnecting through file explorer it still gives me the same error.  Why do I have to use the command line interface to connect to the NAS volume?

Thanks,

Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Zonker wrote:

Why do I have to use the command line interface to connect to the NAS volume?

You don't.  It was a test to confirm that you have a credentials problem.  Since using the admin credentials from the command line works, that does confirm that putting in the correct credentials in the windows credentials manager will fix it.

Credentials manager is in the control panel - open it, and delete all credentials for the NAS name and NAS IP address.  Then create a new windows credential for the NAS name. You can use the admin credentials you just used for testing, or you can use another local account on the NAS.

After that is entered, confirm that it works, and create a second windows credential using the NAS  IP address.  That can use the same NAS username as the first credential.

Message 11 of 16
Zonker
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

Credentials manager is in the control panel - open it, and delete all credentials for the NAS name and NAS IP address.  Then create a new windows credential for the NAS name. You can use the admin credentials you just used for testing, or you can use another local account on the NAS.

OK, so I did not have any entries or references to the ReadyNAS in the Windows Credential Manager.  There was only references to one of my other NAS and oddly enough no reference to my WD Mybook which maps without any problems.  Don't remember manually creating this entry when I set up the RN102 when it was working, so not sure how it got removed.

Anyway thanks for the help getting this sorted out.

Z

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Zonker wrote:

OK, so I did not have any entries or references to the ReadyNAS in the Windows Credential Manager.  

I'm glad its working now.

If there are no stored credentials, then windows uses the windows username/pass.  I think something must have changed in the NAS so that the windows username/pass is now being rejected - at least that explains the change in behavior. It might be related to the new ReadyCloud accounts.

Message 13 of 16
Zonker
Apprentice

Stephen,

Thanks again for all the help.  What I think is happening is that Windows is not presenting a dialog box to initially log into the volume.  So without the initial login prompt, no credentials are being created for the ReadyNAS.  Not sure why that would happen.

Z

Message 14 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Zonker wrote:

Thanks again for all the help.  What I think is happening is that Windows is not presenting a dialog box to initially log into the volume.  So without the initial login prompt, no credentials are being created for the ReadyNAS.  Not sure why that would happen.

Again, if there are no stored credentials, windows first presents the user's windows credentials to the NAS.  If that is rejected, then Windows is supposed to give the dialog box you are talking about.

That would suggest that the NAS isn't actually rejecting the user credentials, but instead is accepting them, but isn't giving the user the access they were getting before.  Is the local windows account username also a local username on the NAS?  Is it also a ReadyCloud account?

Message 15 of 16
Zonker
Apprentice

Is the local windows account username also a local username on the NAS?  Is it also a ReadyCloud account?

Yes my Windows Login is my email address and (after the switchover to ReadyCloud in 6.5) that is the same as my ReadyCloud account.  The passwords are different.  Prior to this, the usernames were not the same.  So I think you are on to something.  Nice catch.

Z

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements