× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10200 slot 2 not recognizing disks?

hexnut4
Aspirant

RN10200 slot 2 not recognizing disks?

My ReadNAS 102 has been running fine for some time with a matched set of 250GB drives in an X-Raid configuration.  I wanted to expand capacity so I purchased two WD Red 2TB drives to replace the old drives.  I pulled drive #2 from service and hot-swapped in a virgin 2TB drive.  The ReadyNAS did not show drive 2 as active and the power LED then went into a repeated sequence of flashing twice, then pause.  I let it sit overnight even though the drive bay showed empty in my browser on the admin page.  I pulled the new drive and hot-swapped the original drive back in with the same result.  I also tried the new drive from  fresh power-up sequence with the same results other than the drive 2 LED lighting for a few secoind then turning off.  It seems that the 2nd bay is no longer recognizing drives?  I updated the firmware to 6.9 after the drive swap failed to see if the results changed.  I am still getting the same response from the ReadyNAS.  It only shows a drive in slot 1 no matter what I have tried.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

-Steve

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN10200 slot 2 not recognizing disks?

@hexnut4 wrote:

It sounds like it might be time to start the return authorization process...

Yes.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

So if you power down the NAS, reinsert the original 250 GB drive into slot 2, and then power up - does the NAS boot normally, but shows slot 2 as empty?

Message 2 of 8
hexnut4
Aspirant

Yep, slot 2 shows up as empty.  I have not tried putting the drive from slot 1 into slot 2 since that is my only working drive right now.  

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@hexnut4 wrote:

Yep, slot 2 shows up as empty.  I have not tried putting the drive from slot 1 into slot 2 since that is my only working drive right now.  

If two different drives both fail to be detected, then that suggests something is wrong with the chassis.  You might try powering down and disconnecting the power brick from the main power for a few minutes (10-15), and then power up.  The driver might have detected an issue and marked the slot as "down".  The idea on the power disconnect is to ensure that any bios state is cleared before you reboot.

If the drive(s) still aren't detected after the power disconnect test, then something is definitely wrong with the chassis.  The warranty is 3 years for the original purchaser, so you might also want to check your warranty status on my.netgear.com.  If you are still covered, you might want to make sure your proof-of-purchase is uploaded.

Message 4 of 8
hexnut4
Aspirant

I left the unit unplugged for a lng time then, with both of the 230GB drives installed, powered back up.  Both drive LEDs were on while the power LED flashed rapidly then the slot 2 LED turned off and the power LED slowed to a "flash twice and pause" repeating loop like before.

It's hard to call that an enclosure failure when both slot LEDs were lit up during the initial power up sequence.  I am definately within my warranty period if I need to return the unit.

Thanks.

-Steve

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try powering down, and then do a factory reset via the boot menu with slot 1 holding a WDC Red and slot 2 empty.

If the reset works, then try powering down, moving the WDC red to slot 2 and see if it boots.  That will tell if you if the slot is responding with no risk to the real data disks.

Message 6 of 8
hexnut4
Aspirant

A factory reset with a new WD Red drive in slot 1 and slot 2 empty worked.  Powered down the unit and moved the drive to slot 2, leaving slot 1 empty.  Powered up and after the initial fast flash of the power LED the system went into the steady flashing power LED mode with the slot 2 LED off and no other LEDs lit.

-Steve

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@hexnut4 wrote:

Yes.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements