× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 Automatic login credentials possible?

schwizer
Aspirant

RN104 Automatic login credentials possible?

I frequenty use an Edge browser in W10 (don't hate me) to login to the admin page of the readynas and it asks me for login credentials each time even though i check "save login".  Any way to make it so that it saves login credentials?

Schwizer

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
schwizer
Aspirant

Re: RN104 Automatic login credentials possible?

So i was not able to get that clear command to work but i did go back into the NAS and added another user with my windows login credentials and it has now started working.  Meaning i am logged into the admin page automatically without a popup asking for username.  Seems like i just didn't wait long enough the first time for the windows credentials to update.

Thanks for the help

Schwizer

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 20

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @schwizer, nobody should hate you because of you utilizing a specific browser. As long as Edge suites your needs and you are fine with its way of dealing with your data, you have an acceptable solution.

However, in your case Edge seems to not being capable of keeping in mind the credentials for your nas. And that makes this question to my opinion a clear Windows/Edge question about how credentials are managed on your pc.

Why not looking into the (advanced) settings of Edge to find out how it currently treats credentials. It could very well be, that for security reasons you are wiping out certain information after each browser session. Of course, that would explain the "forgotten" credentials, though.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards.

Message 2 of 20
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @schwizer

You may want to check if Password saving and Form fill is enabled.

You may check this link Enable and Manage Passwords & Form-fill in Edge browser.

Regards

Message 3 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick replies.  Let me give a few more details.

Check passwords are on (When i click Manage Passwords, there is a long list of websites & passwords.  The readynas 192.168.etc.etc is not there though.)

Capture2.PNG

The browser does kind of remember the entries.  For example, when i log in for the first time in a day, I go to My Computer and right click the readynas in the explorer window and use "View device web page" (Step 1)

Untitled.png

Today, I got a blank login screen and I provide my credentials.

Login 1.PNG

This seems to work for as long as the computer is on.  For example, if i close the browser and then repeat Step 1, it takes me straight to the admin page (great).  But then it'll look like this with some kind of Domain inserted before my email.  I then have to delete the domain part or it won't take the credentials.

Capture3.PNG

Alternatively, sometimes the window comes up with "admin" prepopulated.  It seems kind of random.

capture 2.PNG

I want to find a way to make the browser remember my email and password for all eternity so i can always click "view device webpage" or log in some how else to the admin page without ever having to give my credentials again. The browser does remember a lot of other logins so i know the functionality is generally working.  Example gmail, facebook etc.

Schwizer 

Message 4 of 20
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried using the IP address of the NAS on Edge browser instead of Right clicking the NAS Icon on your Explorer?

It seems that the method of accessing the NAS admin page is the one causing it. When on the Edge browser after logging in it should ask you if you want to save the password.

Message 5 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

The same thing happens when i make a favorite and set it to 192.168.8.122/admin.  It asks me for the login but the "save password" popup doesn't come up (no addblockers or extensions in edge).  Then when i close edge and open it up again and repeat the process, the same thing happens (the Domain login window comes up and i have to delete the domain part).

The reason i like my method for getting access to the NAS is that i don't have to worry about the changing IP addresses.  I could lock down the IP address of the NAS but that's another topic i guess.  Either way, the problem is the same.

Schwizer

Message 6 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Is your gmail address used both as your windows username and as a NAS username?  If it is a NAS username, is it in the administrator group?

Since you aren't reserving 192.168.8.22 for the NAS - is there another server on your network that uses your gmail address as the username?

Message 7 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

Is your gmail address used both as your windows username and as a NAS username? (Yes) If it is a NAS username, is it in the administrator group? (Yes)

Since you aren't reserving 192.168.8.22 for the NAS - is there another server on your network that uses your gmail address as the username? (No)

Schwizer
Message 8 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@schwizer wrote:
Is your gmail address used both as your windows username and as a NAS username? (Yes) 

Is the NAS password the same as the Windows password?

Message 9 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

Is the NAS password the same as the Windows password? (No).

Here is what the setup looks like.

Capture.PNG

And here is my main login under Cloud Users.

Untitled.png

Note:  I tried adding another user with the same email as my windows computer login (also same email as the cloud user) and setting the account as an admin and setting the password to match the windows login password but it didn't change anything.

Schwizer

Message 10 of 20
StephenB
Guru

If Windows doesn't have a saved credential for the NAS, then it will give the NAS the credentials used to log into Windows.  That will fail in cases where the username matches a NAS account but the password does not.

You might find it easier to test this out with the Windows Command Prompt (CMD).  You can use net use * /delete to clear out any existing sessions, and then use net use t: \\nas-name\share-name /user:username userpassword to test your credentials.   If that works, the share be mounted as drive letter t.

Message 11 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

But then why did it not work when i created a second user account in the NAS that matched the windows logon credentials?  Is it because there are then 2 accounts on the NAS using the same email but different passwords?

Schwizer

Message 12 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@schwizer wrote:

But then why did it not work when i created a second user account in the NAS that matched the windows logon credentials?  Is it because there are then 2 accounts on the NAS using the same email but different passwords?

I don't actually use ReadyCloud, so this isn't something I've tried. But I suspect it will misbehave if you have two accounts with the same username.

Also, it can get confusing on the windows side if you don't clear out sessions with net use * /delete between attempts.  Windows will only let you use one credential with the NAS at a time.

Message 13 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

Sorry i'm sure i'm doing something stuipd here, but like this?

Capture.PNG

Message 14 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

So i was not able to get that clear command to work but i did go back into the NAS and added another user with my windows login credentials and it has now started working.  Meaning i am logged into the admin page automatically without a popup asking for username.  Seems like i just didn't wait long enough the first time for the windows credentials to update.

Thanks for the help

Schwizer

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@schwizer wrote:

Sorry i'm sure i'm doing something stuipd here, but like this?

Capture.PNG

You left out the space between * and /delete.

You need to be very careful on spaces and slash directions (/ and \) when you are using net use

Message 16 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

Well i guess that one time it worked was a fluke. This morning after restarting the computer i'm back to square one.

Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

Schwizer

Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@schwizer wrote:

Capture.PNG 

That status is not an error, and you will see it whenever there are no open sessions.  If there are open sessions, it will prompt you (asking for confirmation before it terminates them).

Did the second net use ( net use t: \\nas-name\share-name /user:username userpassword ) fail?

Message 18 of 20
schwizer
Aspirant

Untitled.png

I'm assuming it's complaining about my duplicate accounts (one regular user and one readycloud account).

I tried to delete the regular user account because i want to keep the readycloud account but still got the same error.

Bruno

Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

It looks like there is another session open to the NAS (using either guest or some other account).  You could try the net use * /delete again. 

But sometimes net use * /delete doesn't see all the sessions. So if it doesn't solve it, try going into the Windows Credential Manager (the windows search bar will find it).  Find all the credentials stored there for the NAS and delete them all.  Then reboot, and try to connect again.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements