× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104: Best way to transfer data between disks?

Deano1
Aspirant

RN104: Best way to transfer data between disks?

After upgrading a disk I need to transfer almost 4TB of data from an existing disk to this new disk. My configuration is JBOD

I can do this from my PC via two mapped drives to the shares on both disks getting about 60MB/s. I was hoping to do this internally on the NAS, expecting it was quicker than going across the network. When I do this in the Shares->Browse, there is no indication of speed but it doesn't seem to be that quick.

Does anyone know which is the best method?
Thanks!!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104: Best way to transfer data between disks?

@Deano1 wrote:

I can do this from my PC via two mapped drives to the shares on both disks getting about 60MB/s. I was hoping to do this internally on the NAS, expecting it was quicker than going across the network. When I do this in the Shares->Browse, there is no indication of speed but it doesn't seem to be that quick.

FWIW, the RN104 is limited by the processor speed, and not the gigabit network.  Still, I think it might be a bit quicker doing it internally on the NAS.

Use a backup job.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Deano1 wrote:

FWIW, the RN104 is limited by the processor speed, and not the gigabit network.  Still, I think it might be a bit quicker doing it internally on the NAS.

Use a backup job.

Message 2 of 3
Deano1
Aspirant

Good info - thanks!!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements