× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104: Defrag freezes NAS

wiscobez
Aspirant

RN104: Defrag freezes NAS

I initiated a defrag 3 days ago now. Very shortly after (within minutes) frontview would no longer connect, the lcd panel on the device stopped displaying, and the unit won't respond to buttons. Raidar doesn't see the NAS on the network. Meanwhile, the device's activity light is on continuously. Rather than just pull the plug, I've let the unit run... but it seems to just be locked.

Truth be told, this is the third time I've attempted a defrag, with the same result. The first 2 times I waited for only a few hours, then pulled the plug. The unit came back up just fine each time, but I think I"m tempting the fates here... I have data backed up to the cloud, but not locally.

All of this comes on the heels of having just deleted all my snapshots and having turned off just about all services. Running 6.2.4 Plenty of space available; unit is only about 1/3 full of data.

Would appreciate help/suggestions, though from reading prior forum posts, I'm anticipating the answer to be: back up the data, do factory reset, start over. Hoping that isn't my only option...

thx
Bez
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104: Defrag freezes NAS

Can you send me a fresh set of logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 2 of 11
techieng
Aspirant

hmm ...having the same problem
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Wiscobez can you try disabling your apps then running a defrag and seeing if you still have the same issue?

techieng, can you also send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 4 of 11
BrianM1950
Aspirant

Am having the same problem :evil: . I have an RN104 with two WD Red 3GB drives in X-RAID. It is currently showing 992.24GB remaining of 2.72TB.
I have several VM backups on there, of which the largest is 40GB, so I shall watch this thread with interest. I intend to add another drive shortly, maybe a 4TB this time. So far I am not terribly impressed by the Netgear. I have had to do a factory reset on it once, with all the time-wastage involved in copying and re-copying the data on it.
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Brian can you send me a set of logs?

How are you backing up your VMs to the NAS? Using NFS?
Message 6 of 11
wiscobez
Aspirant

mdgm -

With only 1 hour left before July and the transition to the new forum... I wanted to report that even after turning off all apps, Defrag still causes a freeze.

I guess we'll need to continue this discussion in our soon-to-be new home.

thanks
Bez
Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When we have specific dates in July for the forums move the announcement will be updated.

Sent you a PM
Message 8 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

wiscobez one of your disks looks bad looking at the logs.

This could be what is causing the problem on your system.
Message 9 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Turns out the freezing was due to a bad disk. Replacing the bad disk resolved the problem.
Message 10 of 11
wiscobez
Aspirant

As mdmg postulated, the bad disk was the reason for the freeze. After replacing that disk, defrag worked perfectly.

Thanks to mdmg for the assistance.

To the netgear firmware team: please consider adding a fix for this problem into your next release. There's no reason that defrag should freeze the NAS, even with a bad disk.

peace out.
Bez
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements