× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 Disks upgrade from 16 TB (unformatted) to 40 TB (unformatted).

RN104 Disks upgrade from 16 TB (unformatted) to 40 TB (unformatted).

Operating system 6.10.1.

Now I have four 4TB hdds in my nas and I would like to get four 10TB (Seagate Iron Wolf). What is the best procedure to perform? I thought of replacing one disk at a time, waiting for the resync and then replacing another one until they were all replaced.

But then how do I expand the capacity until it reaches the maximum allowed by the four new hdds?

Thank you.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

As @Marc_V suggests, you can replace one disk at a time (waiting for each resync to complete before replacing the next).  The advantage of that method is that you'll continue to have access to all your data during the process.   The disadvantage is that the process will be very slow (days to weeks), and the NAS will be sluggish while it's proceeding.  Note that the volume will begin expanding when you add the second disk (it doesn't all happen at the end).

But it will be much faster overall if you

1. back up the data
  2. power down the disks
  3. insert all the new disks
  4. power up the NAS
  5. reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from the backup.

The disadvantage is that the data won't be available for a few days.

Either way, it's important to make a backup before you expand.  Your data isn't protected during the resyncs in the first method, and if there is a disk failure during that process you will lose all your data.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@sergio_fucchi

Replacing the disks one by one and waiting it to finish resyncing would be the advised procedure to go to. The volume will complete it's expansion once you have replaced all disks.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

As @Marc_V suggests, you can replace one disk at a time (waiting for each resync to complete before replacing the next).  The advantage of that method is that you'll continue to have access to all your data during the process.   The disadvantage is that the process will be very slow (days to weeks), and the NAS will be sluggish while it's proceeding.  Note that the volume will begin expanding when you add the second disk (it doesn't all happen at the end).

But it will be much faster overall if you

1. back up the data
  2. power down the disks
  3. insert all the new disks
  4. power up the NAS
  5. reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from the backup.

The disadvantage is that the data won't be available for a few days.

Either way, it's important to make a backup before you expand.  Your data isn't protected during the resyncs in the first method, and if there is a disk failure during that process you will lose all your data.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements