× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 - New Setup

whyshouldI
Aspirant

RN104 - New Setup

Hi, I have a 4 bay with a 2TB-1TB-2TB-3TB disc setup - bay 1 and 3 are Raid 1 bays 2 & 3 are JBOD.

The NAS is use as backup for everyday stuff on the raid and multimedia for house access on the JBOD.  Approx 2.5 TB of data across all 4 disks.

Yesterday the system failed with code (cannot remember but when I looked it indicated problem with a disk)  I rebooted the system and it started to resync the Raid discs.  The log shows the 2TB in bay 3 has 23 ATA errors.  The Raid was successfully rebuilt and all seems to be ok.

Given this I will replace the disc that is starting to show errors.

My question now I need to mess about with the cofig I will take the opportunity to upgrade the storage and likely buy 3 3TB discs.

Questions:

1, What is the best arrangment for the system.  Should I simply add the three and use X-RAID, use Raid 10, or another optio would be to have 2 Raid 1 arrays?

2. When I remove the JBOD discs will I be able to simply plug them into a Win PC and access the data?

3. Lastly - I am considering WD RED drives - thought on these or alternative recommendations.

Thoughts and rationale would be appreciated, Thanks, Simon

Aplogies ifthis is duplicated

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@whyshouldI wrote:

In the scheme of things in probably makes sense to buy 4 bay rather than 2.

Yes.  I'd still consolidate onto two disks, just because the larger drives are more cost effective over the long run, and the price increase is modest.  When I checked pricing, 2x8 was cheaper than 3x6.  

This also would allow you to rebuild your RN104 and use it as a backup.

@whyshouldI wrote:

Leading question time - which 4 bay would you recommend - this is for general backups and media streaming - the RN 104 was capable so it does not need to be an expensive purchase.

This is tricky right now.  Normally I'd go with the RN214.  But there is little ReadyNAS inventory out there, and the prices have skyrocketed.  I suspect that's related to production/distribution problems due to the pandemic.  

The RN626 and RN628 are the only desktop models that are still around their usual price - and they are far more capable than you need.  Since your current NAS is working, you might want to hold off on upgrading until the RN214 prices come back down.

Local prices for you will vary of course, but this what I am seeing on Amazon US for diskless NAS:

Desktop

• RN214: $850
  • RN424: $1350
  • RN626: $1000
  • RN628: $1100

Rackmount

• 2304: $620
  • 3138: $900

The RN214 is typically $300-$400, the RN424 is typically $400-$500. They just aren't worth the current prices.

If I had to buy now, I'd personally get the RN628 - actually below it's usual price, and $100 over the RN626 gets you two more bays. But it's much more capable than what you need.

The 2304 is worth a look if you are ok with a rackmount.  It should perform about the same as the RN214 and outperform the RN104.  It is priced a bit higher than usual (it was $400 a few months ago).  The rackmount doesn't need to be in a rack - but it will likely be noisier than a desktop NAS, so you'd need a place for it where the noise doesn't matter.

The 3138 is actually a fair price, but personally I'd go with the RN626 or RN628 instead - significantly higher performance, and similar in price.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Before you do anything, consider that you have a bottom of the line NAS, which has a limited CPU and less memory than current models.  If you currently have no backup, your best solution may be to buy a new NAS for those three new drives, copy everything over from your old NAS, then relegate the old one to backup duties.

But if you choose to continue using the 104 and expand it with three new 3TB drives, here is how I would go about it, assuming your RAID array is the primary one (usually data😞

Replace one of the 2TB with a 3TB with power on and let is sync.  Once that is complete, do the same with the other 2TB.  Note that the sync for the second drive will be two-step.  One to sync the original 2TB, and a second to expand to 3TB.

Then, copy the contents of the 1TB over to the new 3TB array.  Once you have competed that, do an EXPORT from tthe volume menu for the 1TB drive, and then remove it.  Now, put the last 3TB in bay 2 in place of the 1TB, and allow another 2-step sync process.

Now you can copy the content of the 3TB volume to the new 6TB volume, and again do an EXPORT of drive 4 and remove it.

At this point, you have a 6TB RAID5 array and one empty bay.  You can insert either of the old drives with power off and re-boot, and that volume will re-join the NAS.  This is just in case you find you forgot something and need to copy it to the RAID volume.  You can then export it again.  You should not count on doing this often.  At some point, you may want to put the 3TB in with power on (to keep the volume from mounting) and then do a FORMAT, after which XRAID will add it as another 3TB of RAID.

While there are drivers available to allow you to access the NAS drives from a Windows PC, they are still in beta release, and are best used only when there is no other means of data recovery from a NAS volume.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark is giving you a reasonable way forward (note you will remain in flexraid mode if you use it).

@whyshouldI wrote:

1, What is the best arrangment for the system.  Should I simply add the three and use X-RAID, use Raid 10, or another optio would be to have 2 Raid 1 arrays?

Personally I think XRAID is best for most users (and based on your info above, I think that's true for you as well).

@whyshouldI wrote:

2. When I remove the JBOD discs will I be able to simply plug them into a Win PC and access the data?

Not easily.  The file system isn't understood by Windows.  As @Sandshark says, there are some software packages you could use to try and read them though.  If you attempt this, power down the NAS and connect the drives to the PC.  Leave the NAS powered down until you confirm that you have access to the files in Windows.  If that fails, then you can put the drives back into the NAS (while it's powered down).  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Data-recovery-on-Raid-5-array-in-Re...

The best path is to back up your system to a USB drive before you upgrade the disks.  Or purchase a new NAS, and re-purpose the RN104 as a backup device.

@whyshouldI wrote:

3. Lastly - I am considering WD RED drives - thought on these or alternative recommendations.

WD Reds are a good choice for your NAS, as are Seagate Ironwolf drives.

Personally I'd get two larger disks, and consolidate everything onto a single volume.  For instance, two WD80EFAX would cost about $400 USD.  You should have good free space (since your current volumes total up to 6 TB), and you'd have two slots for future expansion.  If you take this path, you can upgraded your RAID-1 volume to 2x8TB, copy over the files in the two jbod volumes, and then destroy them.

3 WD30EFRX would cost about $300, but I think that long term 2x8TB is worth the cost.

Message 3 of 7
whyshouldI
Aspirant

Thank you both - lots of food for thought and good suggestions.  I have backed up the drives to USB disks so have saved everything (it took a while)

Given the idea to get larger disks - 8TB I may well go down the route of a 2 disc NAS - then as you say use the RN104 as only backup.

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

A few things to consider with a 2-drive NAS:

In oder to expand beyond the initial drive size, you have to replace both drives, where you only need add an additional drive when there is an open slot.

RAID overhead is the greatest.  You lose 50% of the combined size of th drives to redundancy.  while 2 x 8TB gives you an 8TB RAID, 3 x 6TB gives you 12, with room for another 6 in a 4-drive chassis.

BUT, recovery from a single drive is often possible with RAID1 where you need at least 2 still undamaged to recover from a 3-drive RAID5 and 3 to recover from a 4-drive RAID5.  That can sometimes be of help when the volume gets damaged in some way (not always due to hardware).

Message 5 of 7
whyshouldI
Aspirant

Leading question time - which 4 bay would you recommend - this is for general backups and media streaming - the RN 104 was capable so it does not need to be an expensive purchase.

Thanks for your help

Simon

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@whyshouldI wrote:

Yes.  I'd still consolidate onto two disks, just because the larger drives are more cost effective over the long run, and the price increase is modest.  When I checked pricing, 2x8 was cheaper than 3x6.  

This also would allow you to rebuild your RN104 and use it as a backup.

@whyshouldI wrote:

This is tricky right now.  Normally I'd go with the RN214.  But there is little ReadyNAS inventory out there, and the prices have skyrocketed.  I suspect that's related to production/distribution problems due to the pandemic.  

The RN626 and RN628 are the only desktop models that are still around their usual price - and they are far more capable than you need.  Since your current NAS is working, you might want to hold off on upgrading until the RN214 prices come back down.

Local prices for you will vary of course, but this what I am seeing on Amazon US for diskless NAS:

Desktop

• RN214: $850
  • RN424: $1350
  • RN626: $1000
  • RN628: $1100

Rackmount

• 2304: $620
  • 3138: $900

The RN214 is typically $300-$400, the RN424 is typically $400-$500. They just aren't worth the current prices.

If I had to buy now, I'd personally get the RN628 - actually below it's usual price, and $100 over the RN626 gets you two more bays. But it's much more capable than what you need.

The 2304 is worth a look if you are ok with a rackmount.  It should perform about the same as the RN214 and outperform the RN104.  It is priced a bit higher than usual (it was $400 a few months ago).  The rackmount doesn't need to be in a rack - but it will likely be noisier than a desktop NAS, so you'd need a place for it where the noise doesn't matter.

The 3138 is actually a fair price, but personally I'd go with the RN626 or RN628 instead - significantly higher performance, and similar in price.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements