× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 New Volume

martyn20
Aspirant

RN104 New Volume

Could not see this particular problem, forgive me if I have missed it and started another thread for nothing.
I have a new RN104, I started it for the first time with a new 4TB disk and followed the instructions on the little set up guide. including registering online. Having realised it was not simple to add more disks I decided to buy another disk and add it before I put anything on the memory. I loaded the second disk 4TB again, new and identical to the first, did the factory reset, and waited 'several' hours until the volume was rebuilt. The machine shows I have 2 disks (2x4TB) but only lists available space as 3.63TB, same as before I added the 2nd disk. I have done the factory reset again and waited the 12 hours or so but it still says the same. I have included a screenshot

I know a bit about computers but nothing about NAS and I am using this forum as my guide.
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 New Volume

With RAID-1 the two disks are mirrored, so adding the second drive does not add capacity - it adds redundancy. If you hot-insert a third 4 TB drive the space will increase to 7.2 TiB, and the NAS will switch to RAID-5. You still have redundancy which protects against a single drive failure.

If you wanted jbod (no RAID) then you should start over with another factory reset (with only one drive installed), switch to FLEXRAID/JBOD, and hot-insert the second drive.

Adding a new disk to the RN104 is easy, I am puzzled by your comment on "not simple to add more disks".

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 33

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

With RAID-1 the two disks are mirrored, so adding the second drive does not add capacity - it adds redundancy. If you hot-insert a third 4 TB drive the space will increase to 7.2 TiB, and the NAS will switch to RAID-5. You still have redundancy which protects against a single drive failure.

If you wanted jbod (no RAID) then you should start over with another factory reset (with only one drive installed), switch to FLEXRAID/JBOD, and hot-insert the second drive.

Adding a new disk to the RN104 is easy, I am puzzled by your comment on "not simple to add more disks".
Message 2 of 33
martyn20
Aspirant

Thanks I will do as you say. I thought just adding new disks would change the volume and expand the capacity instantly, I did not think it out, with some of the operating system using the disks.
I will take out both disks, do a factory reset, switch from RAID. Where can I find the exact procedure for hot-insert, I want to get it right, power on or off etc.
Message 3 of 33
martyn20
Aspirant

Ok, I have done as you said and the volume has now gone up to 7.27GB, thanks very much sir
Message 4 of 33
StephenB
Guru

martyn20 wrote:
Thanks I will do as you say. I thought just adding new disks would change the volume and expand the capacity instantly, I did not think it out, with some of the operating system using the disks
Well, to be clear, it did change the volume. Capacity didn't expand, but that was not related to the operating system at all. If you want to understand it better, you need to do some research on RAID.
Message 5 of 33
manavjs
Aspirant

I have been looking for some help on the same lines -

I have a ReadyNas 104 which had the default XRaid setup with 2X3TB and a 4TB HDD Disks installed. My intial setup was 2X3TB and then I hot added a 4 TB drive. It seemed to increase the space as I remember. However after a few weeks of adding the 4TB, the unit developed minor power supply issue (not related to the additional storage in any case) and I received a new RN104 unit (replacement). The device arrives in a day, I have my old HDD with me (with all data) however now I am confused on how to setup this new device so that I do not lose any of my data and this volume can be rebuild the way it was with the previous setup I was running.

Anyone who has ever tried this ? Can someone give me some steps / guidance on how to go about setting this up ?

Much appreciate if anyone can help!!

Thanks
Manav
Message 6 of 33
StephenB
Guru

manavjs wrote:
I have been looking for some help on the same lines -

I have a ReadyNas 104 which had the default XRaid setup with 2X3TB and a 4TB HDD Disks installed. My intial setup was 2X3TB and then I hot added a 4 TB drive. It seemed to increase the space as I remember. However after a few weeks of adding the 4TB, the unit developed minor power supply issue (not related to the additional storage in any case) and I received a new RN104 unit (replacement). The device arrives in a day, I have my old HDD with me (with all data) however now I am confused on how to setup this new device so that I do not lose any of my data and this volume can be rebuild the way it was with the previous setup I was running.

Anyone who has ever tried this ? Can someone give me some steps / guidance on how to go about setting this up ?

Much appreciate if anyone can help!!

Thanks
Manav
If you mean that you have all the hard drives, then the best procedure is
(a) install a scratch disk in the new RN104, and install the same firmware you had on the old.
(b) shut down the RN104, and insert all the old hard drives (ideally in the same slots as the original, but that is not strictly necessary).
(c) turn on the RN104, and it should come back up with the original volume and settings.
Message 7 of 33
manavjs
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB for the revert - I see your awesome work / knowledge all over the forums and THANK YOU for getting back to me -

Yes I have all the Hard Drives - the data has not been lost as it was the RN104 Unit which had developed power issues. Thankfully I could get a replacement unit soon enough.
(a) - What is a scratch disk ? I do not remember the exact firmware, however I see 6.1.7 from the recently visited tabs - not sure if that is valid. I have other info (i.e. configuration, IP etc.) still on my PC - would this help ?
Message 8 of 33
StephenB
Guru

manavjs wrote:
What is a scratch disk ? I do not remember the exact firmware, however I see 6.1.7 from the recently visited tabs - not sure if that is valid. I have other info (i.e. configuration, IP etc.) still on my PC - would this help ?
If you were running 6.1.7 before, and the new NAS has 6.1.4 in its flash, then when you power up the NAS will try to downgrade what's on your disks to 6.1.4.

A scratch disk is any old SATA disk you aren't using. The idea is that you install on that first, then install 6.1.7 on the NAS (assuming its not there already). Then when you insert your old drives, the NAS won't attempt to downgrade or upgrade your software.

Make sure you insert the old drives with the NAS powered down.
Message 9 of 33
manavjs
Aspirant

Hey thanks! I will look for a Scratch Disk - I guess one of my old laptops can be useful.

So basically I setup the NAS with this Scratch Disk and then downgrade / upgrade firmware based on this disk in the Unit. And then insert my original disks and they should be able to create the same old volume that I had. I guess this should sum up what you have suggested.

Will try this and will get back in a few days.

Once again - much appreciated.

Manav S
Message 10 of 33
StephenB
Guru

manavjs wrote:
And then insert my original disks and they should be able to create the same old volume that I had. I guess this should sum up what you have suggested.
Close, but its actually simpler than that. The new RN104 just boots up from the old disks. Nothing is being re-created.
Message 11 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

Hello Stephen, sorry for jumping into this post (which I found as I was searching about "scratch" disks) but it is somewhat related.
I had issues with my NV+ v2 - it "hung" after showing one HD (slot3) having problems, and even when I removed that disk, it "hung" again. I checked all the HDs, the one in Slot 3 failed the Seatools Diags and it should soon be on its way to Seagate as it was under Warranty.
Meanwhile I borrowed a 104.
What happens if I put all my disks (from the NV+) in the 104 (before switching it on, of course)? Will the 104 read my (unprotected) Volume? I can see your advice to manavjs to downgrade the firmware to the one which was in his NAS before he had issues. But in my case, it' s much more than firmware.... different hardware, different OS. What will happen then? Many Thanks, berillio
Message 12 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 104 can be used as a last resort to recover data from the NV+ v2, but this needs to be done via tech support mode. There may be charges for this and there definitely would be if there is a problem with the array such as in this case.

The warranty is valid for the original purchaser only, so support wouldn't be able to help you with a borrowed unit.
Message 13 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

OK, if I wasn't confused before, then I am now. Are you are saying that the problem is not with my NV+, but with the array that it created, or maybe / probably both?
The only thing I know is that, until I upgraded to 5.3.11, everything was fine... and that disks in Slot 1, 2, 4 are absolutely fine (meaning the hardare; the content seemed OK until the NV+ hung the second time)
Message 14 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you could have a hardware and/or a software issue. Disk 3 failing is certainly a hardware issue.

Have you run a few passes of the memory test boot menu option?

If there is a hardware issue with the chassis then recovery using another unit is the way to go.
Message 15 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

I took the disks out of NAS and fitted to this PC, then run WD and Seatool Diags, SMART test, Self test, Short test, Long test. Disk 3 failed the long test on both diags. Incidentally, he clearest read for SMART came actually from Acronis Disk Monitor.
Sorry, I am not sure what you mean.
Unless you are asking if I run the long tests more than once, in which case no, I didn't
Message 16 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

Sorry, I should have said, Seatools for windows, WD Lifeguard for Wndows
Message 17 of 33
StephenB
Guru

berillio wrote:
mdgm wrote:
Sorry, I am not sure what you mean....
He means the memory test that you can select from the NAS boot menu. How to do that is described in your NAS hardware manual.
Message 18 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

Hi Stephen - No, the NV+ was switched off and never re-powered again until a couple of days ago when I powered it with no disks, to see if I could at least download the logs (now that I have Safari installed on this pc and I can download them). But without a disk, NV+ does not boot. I do not have a scratch disk, I am thinking of shuffling data around to free one HD, but I am not sure I can do that.
Nobody had suggested the memory test, I just read about it, I'll do it few times and report
Message 19 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

can I do the memory test without the disks?
Message 20 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The memory test tests the RAM. You don't need the disks installed to run it.
Message 21 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

thanks mdgm. give me few minutes, I need to move it from where it is, I can't access both front and back simultaneously
Message 22 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

??? I thought that it would be like the RAM check when a pc boot up.... 9 minutes and continuing.... 11.. 13... how long does it normally take? More important, will any message STAY until I go out of the menu, or I have to stay and catch it before it disappears? 16:30..
Message 23 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think the test runs for about 4 hours. This is an extended memory test.
Message 24 of 33
berillio
Aspirant

thanks mdgm. it has just done 1h now, I did put a camcorder on it . . I'll report tomorrow, it's 2:30am in the UK
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements