× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [RN104] No access and locking since update

GwenGhen
Aspirant

[RN104] No access and locking since update

Hello,

Like many users, I see...

I upgrade my firmware from the 6.0 with no problems.

But with the 6.2.2, sometimes (once a week), the Nas was not visisible with my PC on Win 8.1
It was not a real problem, because, a quick reboot of the PC, and all was OK again.
Just before, when it was under 6.2.1 and Win7, I was not noticed this kind of problem.

I red that an upgrade form 6.2.2 will be able to fix that issue, so I decided to upgrade, to the latest version (6.2.4 proposed by the NAS).

Since this upgrade, and after a while, the NAS disapears from my network (like my old issue...). But also from others PC and TVBox connected at home ! (not like my old issue)
It also not responding anymore (no http access to the main console at its IP), and no actions of any buttons (really freezed !).

I see that some users had fixed the same problem with a downgrade, so I will do this too. And post here about this solution for me.

After rebboting, I will send datas (to help finding a solution). Then, I will downdrade to 6.2.2

Bye
Message 1 of 19
GwenGhen
Aspirant

Datas of Logs had been sent.
Version 6.2.2 installed instead of 6.2.4
Wait and see ...
Message 2 of 19
GwenGhen
Aspirant

Hello,

2 weeks Later : 0 freeze / 0 issue with downgrade to 6.2.2

Hope that 6.2.5 or 6.3 will solve the problem

Bye
Message 3 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs.

I have replied to the new PM you sent today.
Message 4 of 19
a_damn
Aspirant

GwenGhen wrote:
Hello,

2 weeks Later : 0 freeze / 0 issue with downgrade to 6.2.2

Hope that 6.2.5 or 6.3 will solve the problem

Bye

Great news, I´m having the same problem. How did you go about downgrading? 🙂
Message 5 of 19
logster_99
Aspirant

Same problem here as well. Full backup and factory reset to 6.2.4 and it rebuilt for close to a day and crashed again. mdgm, I have sent you the logs. Help!
Message 6 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

logster_99, I see support has reviewed your logs and noticed one of your disks has an ATA error. If you could check if the system still locks up with this disk removed it would be helpful.
Message 7 of 19
logster_99
Aspirant

Hi. I updated my support ticket with the new logs. Removed that drive and factory reset, resync everything, restore from backup took 3 days and starting using; crashed 4 times in 1 hr 😞 this is just depressing.
Message 8 of 19
GwenGhen
Aspirant

a-damn

To downgading, you have to download before the soft you need.

For the 6.2.2, I found it here : http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26257/related/1
and click on link corresponding to you hardware (for me and my RN104 => 1st link 'arm')

To downgrade, you have to go in your console mode (http),
in the Système/paramètres : System / Settings
section Installation manuelle du micrologiciel : Manual Install Firmware
click on installer : Install
and give the pathname of your file (.img unzipped before)
Then Wait for the rebooting.
And Ignore all further update request.

Don't forget to sent before your logs to mdgm, the "howto" is in his signature.
May-be that will help them to identify a "soft" solution to fix the problem.

Hope this will helps you.
Message 9 of 19
GwenGhen
Aspirant

logster_99

try to downgrade to 6.2.2
For me, no crash no more ...
I can wait with no stress
Message 10 of 19
logster_99
Aspirant

GwenGhen wrote:
logster_99

try to downgrade to 6.2.2
For me, no crash no more ...
I can wait with no stress

Thanks, GwenGhen. I used to have 6.2.2 and had frequent crashes (but I did not try a factory reset at that version). I uploaded 6.2.0 (which also crashed occasionally but not as much as those that followed) and it crashed on "Booting ...". After 2 power cycles, it successfully updated it and I am testing it now.

I have asked NetGear for a 6.1.x model that ran ext4 I think not btrfs. I don't run any apps, AV, DLNA, nothing. I just need SMB to be rock solid; I don't even care about speed, which it was for almost a year before I went to 6.2.x. What a mistake ...

I purchased a WD NAS and am copying everything over to it now ... will wash my hands of NetGear soon.
Message 11 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All ReadyNAS OS 6 firmware versions use BTRFS. This problem has got nothing to do with the choice of filesystem. Anyway BTRFS is a much better filesystem than EXT4.

logster_99 your NAS was diagnosed as having a hardware issue. Unfortunately some units will fail under warranty and a system with a hardware problem can lockup.

We cannot guarantee what firmware the replacement unit would come with. I expect the replacement would run fine on 6.2.x.
Message 12 of 19
logster_99
Aspirant

Thanks, mdgm. Looks like Netgear just received my damaged unit. Please let me know when the replacement has shipped; I have updated the case with my tracking #.
Message 13 of 19
logster_99
Aspirant

Hi. Quick update. Got my replacement unit and restored my data on just one drive; did a number of tests and no crashes for a week (6.2.4). Deleted volume and added other 3 drives (2x3TB + 2x2TB) and doing a resync now on a new X-RAID volume. Will take ~50h to resync and restore from backup. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help! But no crash with regular access for 1 week!
Message 14 of 19
logster_99
Aspirant

Thanks for your help, mdgm. 1 week and no crashes so far with all my data restored. I will close the case at the end of the week.
Message 15 of 19
philipGood
Aspirant

Has anyone had a software fix for this, or are we still looking at downgrading to 6.2.2? 

Message 16 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the system i still locking up after updating to 6.2.5 then there would be either:

1. A separate (e.g. software) issue causing the lockups

2. Defective hardware

Message 17 of 19
philipGood
Aspirant

I understand why you would think that this is a hardware issue, but the issue started after 6.2.5. It did not lock up before that update. 

Message 18 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have a scratch disk you can use for testing you can easily verify if there is a software issue or not.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements