× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3,4 after Firmware upgrade

Jumanji2
Aspirant

RN104 Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3,4 after Firmware upgrade

Hi,

After upgrading the firmware on my ReadyNAS 104 the Volume are being displayed as Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3,4 this use to have a RAID configuration and has years of data on it, any suggestions on how I can recover the data?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Jumanji2
Aspirant

Re: RN104 Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3,4 after Firmware upgrade

Quick FYI - never got any feedback from @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ened up deleting the volume ( losing all my data), replaced the hard drive that was flagging as being faulty and started from scratch.  Device is going to be used for nonessential data going forward due to this issue.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Jumanji2 wrote:

After upgrading the firmware on my ReadyNAS 104 the Volume are being displayed as Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk 1,2,3,4 this use to have a RAID configuration and has years of data on it, any suggestions on how I can recover the data?

The safest way is to use paid Netgear support via my.netgear.com.  You don't want the gearhead support - it doesn't cover this.

@JohnCM_S and @Marc_V can facilitate this - if they don't reply here, try sending them a PM (private message) using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

@Jumanji2 wrote:

Disk 1,2,3,4 this use to have a RAID configuration and has years of data on it, any suggestions on how I can recover the data?

Though RAID redundancy is a good thing, it is not enough to keep your data safe (your current problem is a case in point).  Devices fail - and RAID recovery is both expensive and not guaranteed to get your data back.

The only way I know of that will keep your data safe is to back it up on at least one other device.  One affordable option is to get a USB disk (preferrably two, so you have two independent backups), and use them to back up your files.

In addition to device failure, there is the possibility of malware, or fire/theft/flood.  If you want to protect against such disasters, the best approach is to keep a backup of at least your critical (not replaceable) files off-site.  Cloud backup is one way to do that. 

Message 2 of 9
Jumanji2
Aspirant

@StephenB contacted both John and Marc got no reply so far, I was hoping it was something quite simply to resolve this as it looks like the RAID is still there just not operational.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

One cause is that the disks are out of sync.  You can force the RAID assembly in that situation, but there can be file system corruption as a result.

You can try prod @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V with a follow-up private message, or just engage paid support directly.  In general you don't want the gearhead support for ReadyNAS.

Message 4 of 9
Jumanji2
Aspirant

I will follow Marc and John up @StephenB .

Seems odd that there is not more support for this as it seems to be a common problem with ReadyNAS device though with little in the way of adocumentation.

Message 5 of 9
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @Jumanji2 

I can take a look at the logs if you need. Download the logs zip file from the web admin page: System > Logs > Dowload Logs

Upload the zip file to Google drive, Dropbox or similar and make a link where I can download the log zip file. PM me this link, don't post it publicly here.

Cheers

Message 6 of 9
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @Jumanji2 

Thanks for sending the logs over. I took a look at them

Your data raid assembled fine, so it is not a "raid failure" causing this problem.

[Mon Mar 8 19:33:26 2021] md/raid:md127: raid level 5 active with 4 out of 4 devices, algorithm 2.
[Mon Mar 8 19:33:26 2021] md127: detected capacity change from 0 to 11987456360448.

However, the BTRFS filesystem is unable to mount mount due to a ctree failure. This is the reason you see that cryptic message in the ReadyNAS web admin page and the reason you cannot access you data. The below ctree error typically refers to the fact that the filesystem cannot use the superblocks which are needed in order to mount the filesystem. I don't see any signs of actual filesystem corruption but BTRFS cannot mount. This is generally painless to fix because BTRFS saves extra copies of the superblocks at different locations and thus you might be able to mount using a copy of a superblock, or even run btrfs rescue super-recover to try to fix it. Honestly, even a manual mount with recovery option might fix it.

[Mon Mar 8 19:33:27 2021] BTRFS info (device md127): setting nodatasum.
[Mon Mar 8 19:33:39 2021] BTRFS info (device md127): creating UUID tree.
[Mon Mar 8 19:33:39 2021] BTRFS warning (device md127): failed to create the UUID tree: -28.
[Mon Mar 8 19:33:40 2021] BTRFS error (device md127): open_ctree failed.

However, this still requires some knowledge of BTRFS and Linux and isn't something to attempt over a forum 🙂
Contacting Netgear for some paid support or pay some people that really know what they are doing, is your best course of action. @StephenB might know if data recovery contracts are still a thing in Netgear.

Prior to this, you did an upgrade from really old code and thus the filesystem was created years ago when BTRFS was in its infancy. I wonder if this might have something to do with it... Not sure but I feel it does.

[2014/12/22 12:15:22] Defaulting to X-RAID2 mode, RAID level 5
[2014/12/22 12:15:51] Factory default initiated on ReadyNASOS 6.1.8.
[2021/03/08 01:30:52] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.1.8 () to 6.2.5 (ReadyNASOS).
[2021/03/08 01:41:41] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.2.5 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.5.2 (ReadyNASOS).
[2021/03/08 08:51:02 UTC] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.5.2 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.10.4 (ReadyNASOS).

As a side note, disk 1 is failing in your NAS and you should replace it whenever your are out of this situation.

[21/03/05 11:24:33 GMT] notice:disk:LOGMSG_SMART_UNCORR_ERR_WARN Detected increasing uncorrectable error count: [32] on disk 1 (Internal) [ST4000DM000-1F2168, Z3013XS7]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

[21/03/05 11:24:37 GMT] notice:disk:LOGMSG_SMART_ATA_ERR_30DAYS_WARN Detected increasing ATA error count: [773] on disk 1 (Internal) [ST4000DM000-1F2168, Z3013XS7] 39 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Long story short, I don't believe the filesystem is corrupt but rather that there is a problem with the superblocks. This should be recoverable but you need someone who knows what they are doing. And replace the bad disk once you have the data back.

Cheers

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@rn_enthusiast wrote:

@StephenB might know if data recovery contracts are still a thing in Netgear.

I have no special info here.  The kb article offering the service is still up:  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

If it is fairly simple to fix, perhaps per-incident support would cover the attempt (escalating to data recovery only if needed)?  Hopefully @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V will chime in.

Message 8 of 9
Jumanji2
Aspirant

Quick FYI - never got any feedback from @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ened up deleting the volume ( losing all my data), replaced the hard drive that was flagging as being faulty and started from scratch.  Device is going to be used for nonessential data going forward due to this issue.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements