× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 - a really slow deleting of files

Tom_Must
Aspirant

RN104 - a really slow deleting of files

I got RN104 (soft v.6.9.3) that is running on 4x4Tb drives in x-raid (as raid 5) to get 11TB volune space. Now the volume is 90% used. I need to make some space simply deleting files. Mostly multimedia - quite large ones - 2-5 GB each.

However the system does it very slow. 1 file per minute or more (10-20mins sometimes). It happens via windows connection as a remove drive or directly from web GUI file brawser in internal network.

I can't empty the space as it takes too long. Is there any method to make it faster. It is just delete and can be permanent.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi

Given the size of your volume and the CPU and RAM in the 104, I suspect that quotas are probably holding you back.

As a test, turn off quotas and then delete the files. Is that faster? You can find it under volume settings (click on the little cog wheel under your raid volume and you will find it in here).

You can re-enable quotas after deletion.

Cheers
Message 2 of 8
Tom_Must
Aspirant

Thx, it bit helped. It deletes the files now but still far too slow to make any significant progres.

16 files (in 3 directories) - 16GB total - took over 10 mins to remove.

I am thniking that I forgotten to mention that this RN104 got an volume extender with one drive EDA500 connected. However I am not moving there by now. I try to simply remove files from the RN104. 

Any other idea to make it full speed as it was?

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Tom_Must , if antivirus is running I would try disabling that first. Antivirus will go away anyways for RN10X with firmware 6.10.

To improve performance and stability of RN104 in general you might want to look at some suggestions behind the link below.

Kind regards

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Improving-performance-and-stability-of-RN104...

Message 4 of 8
Tom_Must
Aspirant

Thx

Definytly not antivirus as it was disabled for more than a year. It was seriously harming RN performance.

I'll try to go throgh the links. Thx.

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Does the volume span both the main chassis and the EDA500, or does the EDA have a separate volume.  If it spans, then you aren't deleting files "just from the 104", even if they were present before the EDA was added.  The EDA500 can be quite slow for such things, even on my 516.

Message 6 of 8
Tom_Must
Aspirant

The EDA500 drive is a separate volume. Deleting files from DEA500 is super fast. I don't think it is related to EDA500.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Have you checked the disk health on the RN104 drives?  You can see the SMART status in disk_info.log.

Also, check the share settings and see if "strict sync" is enabled. If it is, try disabling it, and see if that helps.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements