× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 automatically powering on (you are not alone)

nasnc
Aspirant

RN104 automatically powering on (you are not alone)

RN104-Gumboe also reported this problem as posted here on 2020-5-23 however was never resolved. I've had this same problem for many years, I think I noticed it soon after purchasing the RN104 in Dec 2014. I am reposting here so people realise:

1. It's NOT an isolated case (several of us are experiencing this problem).
  2. Has nothing to do with having a scheduled startup job (I have double checked there are NO scheduled jobs).
  3. Has nothing to do with WOL packets as it happens even if ethernet is disconnected.

Yes I am running the latest FW.
NAS is rarely used or on however every ~month it AUTOMATICALLY (all by itself) turns on for no known reason.

Please post here if you also have this problem or know how to solve it.

Thanks Nigel

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 21
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

I don't remember the settings but could it be a case of BIOS settings being "upon power returning, power on" rather than "remember last state".

What happens if you unplug the power cable and plug it back in? Does the device power on? If so, I would suspect that the reason for the device to power on by itself is because power is lost/restored... If not, no idea 🙂 

Message 2 of 21
nasnc
Aspirant

RE: What happens if you unplug the power cable and plug it back in?

Just unplugged from mains (left unplugged for 30 seconds to ensure all capacitive power had disspated) then plugged back in and the RN104 did not power on. This proves the automatic power ons are not due any "Resume state after power failure" BIOS type setting.

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@nasnc wrote:

NAS is rarely used or on however every ~month it AUTOMATICALLY (all by itself) turns on for no known reason.

Please post here if you also have this problem or know how to solve it.

My RN102 turns on about once a month on its own - the last two times were 2 May and 1 April this year.  Its running 6.10.4 firmware.

There's no obvious cause, but I haven't looked that extensively into it either.  I just power it down again.  I think it must be something scheduled in the bios/uefi, and I don't know of any way to query that in a booted system.

A workaround is to schedule power down (as an event) regularly, so it doesn't stay up too long when it does occur.

Message 4 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

A "brown out" may be more likely to cause this than full power loss. There is a separate power source (3.3VSB) in the NAS that powers the NIC and power-on circuits.  If it were to drop below some threshold but not low enough for a proper reset of the circuit and return to full level, it might cause the power on to falsely trigger.  If the NAS is on an UPS, then that's likely not it unless the power brick itself is misbehaving.  I have a 102 and 212 that do not exhibit this behavior.  They are on an UPS.

Message 5 of 21
nasnc
Aspirant

Unlikely due to brown out as it sits under the TV and I saw it turn on once but there wasn't a noticable brown out.

Message 6 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

One other thing I can think of is overheating.  The 3.3VSB is always on unless the NAS power supply is unplugged (or rear switch is off  on units with an internal supply), so the voltage conversion, power on-off, and NIC circuits are always on but the fan is not.  If under the TV means on a carpet, where heat from another device can raise the temperature, or just where there is poor air circulation without the fan, relocation may help.  If that is the problem, then any of those cirrcuits may eventually fail from repeated overheating, so it's a bit more than an inconvenience.

Message 7 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

A "brown out" may be more likely to cause this than full power loss. 

FWIW, my RN102 isn't on an UPS.  I don't think power is a likely cause though - the pattern seems much too regular for that.

Does your RN102 have a maintenance schedule set? 

Message 8 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

Does automatic OS updating include periodic power on to check for one?  I don't use it, so I just don't know.

Message 9 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Does automatic OS updating include periodic power on to check for one?  I don't use it, so I just don't know.

Automatic updates aren't set on mine either.

Message 10 of 21
nasnc
Aspirant

Not on carpet, on a glass shelf open on all sides so very well ventilated. Thanks for suggestions however no there is absolutely no chance problem is caused by heat.

Message 11 of 21
nasnc
Aspirant

I couldn't find any scheduled power on tasks for anything including SW updates.

Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@nasnc wrote:

I couldn't find any scheduled power on tasks for anything including SW updates.

There is poweron_timer in /etc/frontview.  That holds the power on times. However, it is empty on my RN102 (though it has entries on my ReadyNAS that are on power schedules).

Normally the actual power-on would be scheduled via the bios.

One thing that might be worth a try is creating a power schedule and then deleting it.

Message 13 of 21
nasnc
Aspirant

I did as you suggested & created a power on job then deleted it... here are the details:
It happened to be 17th at 9:30pm and my RN104 had just unexpectedly powered on again so I looked at logs and noticed auto power on was happening regularly on the 17th of each month ~9->9:30pm however I checked and there were NO Power Timer jobs scheduled. So I (see pics):

1. Created an power on job for 10pm then shutdown via GUI at 9:57pm.
  2. The NAS then auto powered on at 10pm as expected.
  3. I then removed all scheduled jobs, clicked Apply then UNticked Power Timer.

Have to wait till 17th of June to see if this fixes it.

RN104AutoPowerOnProblem.jpg

Message 14 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@nasnc wrote:

Have to wait till 17th of June to see if this fixes it.

My own un-scheduled power-ons aren't quite that regular.  They tend to happen on the 26th, but that did not happen in April.

Message 15 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you have automatic OS updates enabled?  Maybe that starts up the NAS to look for one.

Message 16 of 21
nasnc
Aspirant

No Auto update firmware is UNticked/Off.
Message 17 of 21
nasnc
Aspirant

Just checked my settings and I did have "Automatic hotfix updates" ticked however no days have been selected (see pic - days turn blue if selected) so this should not cause auto power on however to be sure I have now UNticked "Automatic hotfix updates" so we'll see what happens next month on the 17th.

SettingsAutoUpdates.jpg

Message 18 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

The ability to select automatic updates and when they occur is a relatively new feature, introduced in 6.10.0, I think..  I run 6.9.6 on my main NAS, and it's not there.  My 102 and 212 were on 6.10.3 and don't do the power-on; but I did just update to 6.10.5 to see if it makes any difference.

Message 19 of 21
nasnc
Aspirant

Sadly I have to report that even after turning update checks OFF my NAS still started up automatically exactly 1 month after I shut it down as can be seen in the log screenshot:NASLog.png

Message 20 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@nasnc wrote:

Sadly I have to report that even after turning update checks OFF my NAS still started up automatically exactly 1 month after I shut it down as can be seen in the log screenshot:NASLog.png

I'm guessing that mine will power up in a day or so.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements