× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 backup question

vvulture
Guide

RN104 backup question

Hey guys,

I currently have a RN104 running for the past 12 months without major issue.

Recently i accquired a ReadynasDUO v1 without any hard drives from a friend of mine.

Before i invest in new hard drives, is it possible to use the DUO as a backup destination for my RN104 ?

TIA.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 backup question

@vvulture wrote:

Before i invest in new hard drives, is it possible to use the DUO as a backup destination for my RN104 ?

Yes you can.  Rsync between the Duo and the RN104 works fine (as do the other backup choices, though rsync is usually the best).  The duo is much slower than the RN104, but once the initial backups complete it will keep up.  Use share-by-share backup, as that gives your the most flexibility (esp. if/when the RN104's capacity grows beyond the Duo's).

Disk capacity is limited to 2 TB drives (WD20EFRX work well).  If you want to back up more than 2 TB of data, you will want to use flexraid/jbod.  Set it up with one volume per disk (C and D), and allocate the shares to keep the two volumes approximately balanced.  RAID-0 can give you a 4 TB volume, but it is fragile (either drive fails and you lose all your data).  jbod is much safer.

One (relatively small) issue is that guest/guest on the RN104 doesn't align with nobody/nogroup on the duo.  I just set my source shares to be owned by admin/admin, which is aligned.  You can also create UIDs and GIDs that match (or just not worry about it, since you can always change ownership on the Duo if you wish).

Message 2 of 3
vvulture
Guide

Re: RN104 backup question

Nice...   thank you my friend..  🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements