× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 can't access error on new laptop

TheReefManiac
Aspirant

RN104 can't access error on new laptop

I have a new laptop and halt the time it works ,but most times it can't access the network drive

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 can't access error on new laptop

How are you trying to access the NAS?

Are you getting an error? If so, what?

Message 2 of 7
TheReefManiac
Aspirant

The wierd thing is the windons can't access Readynas most of the time. Then all of a sudden it works, If I leave the readynas 10 minutes later I get once again Windosw can't access \\ReadyNas. It works a little of the time and most of the time I get this error. It did the same on other computer

@StephenB wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 7
TheReefManiac
Aspirant

Also I access readynas from file explorer, I created a readtnas short cut on my desktop

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The next time it fails, try using the IP address instead of the hostname.

Also, download the log zip file, and look for errors in system.log around the time you have the problem.

Message 5 of 7
TheReefManiac
Aspirant

How do I do that I just hit my shortcut and it goes on to the readyNas how do I change to a IP address
Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Temporarily, type it into the address window of a Windows Explorer window, in the form \\10.98.76.54.  You can include the share name after another backslash if you choose.  Note that if you accidentally use forward slashes, it'll redirect to your browser.  If that works, and the NAS IP address is fixed, delete the shortcut and re-create it with the IP address instead of NAS name or modify the hosts file (Google it for instructions) so Windows properly finds the NAS by name.

If the NAS is not always at a fixed address, then you should go into your router and reserve it's IP address (whihc is alwats a good idea even when not accessing it by IP address).  Alternately, you can use a static IP via the NAS GUI, but that can cause problems if it's within the DHCP range of the router or you change routers, so it's better the other way.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements