× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 firmware update bricked my unit

bbani
Tutor

RN104 firmware update bricked my unit

I have several netgear ReadyNAS units at work and home. 

The newest one of our collection, the RN104, got bricked on a recent firmware update from Netgear. 

On reading through the forum threads, this appears to be a widespread problem due to a faulty firmware release. 

Problem: 

RN104 turns on and shows only "Boot from USB"

If i don't put in a USB, it tells me "Boot from USB failed"

If i create a recovery USB per the support instructions, with the USB in the front port, the unit will boot, discover the USB and show "ReadyNAS USB Recovery".

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952

It appears to do something for a few minutes and then shutsdown as expected. 

I remove the USB, and power on the unit. Once again, by itself, it enters "Boot from USB" mode. 

Please comment on how i can possibly reload the firmware, or steps to RMA unit and replace with a working one. 

Best regards,

Babak Banijamali

babakbani@gmail.com 

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
bbani
Tutor

Re: RN104 firmware update bricked my unit

I found the receipt, called back Netgear support, and they accepted to RMA the unit as it was within warranty period for hardware and having a hardware failure due to faulty Netgear issued firmware. 

New unit arrived next business day, and the drives were put in and they booted up fine. The unit is working now. Thank you. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
bbani
Tutor

One more thing to mention: 

I press the reset button on the back on a reboot, but it does nothing. The unit insists on entering the "Boot from USB" and if i fail to put in a recovery USB in the front of the unit, it proceeds to fail with a "Boot from USB failed".

Message 2 of 13
bbani
Tutor

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@bbani wrote:

steps to RMA unit and replace with a working one. 

You can contact Netgear support at my.netgear.com if you are the original purchaser.  They might want to charge, so if you aren't in a rush you might wait for responses here.

Message 4 of 13
bbani
Tutor

The netgear support website is buggy. 

On calling Netgear support at 1-888-638-4327, it instructs you that if you don't have a case number to go to http://support.netgear.com/contact .. which ends up at a dead link. No support ticket reference, and the system hangs up on you. Nice. Double nice. 

I went to support.netgear.com and logged in, and attempted to create a support ticket. On the first several attempts, it kicked me to a page saying server error. I dug and found a way to create an email support ticket. Finally success. 

Called in to support with this new ticket reference, only to get a nice guy reading off a script *repeatedly*. Each time i asked something new, I got the same script verbatim. They seem under-trained. All I need is a hardware RMA to take care of this buggy firmware update Netgear released that bricked this, up until now, lovely NAS device. 

Message 5 of 13
bbani
Tutor

The netgear support website is buggy. 

On calling Netgear support at 1-888-638-4327, it instructs you that if you don't have a case number to go to http://support.netgear.com/contact .. which ends up at a dead link. No support ticket reference, and the system hangs up on you. Nice. Double nice. 

I went to support.netgear.com and logged in, and attempted to create a support ticket. On the first several attempts, it kicked me to a page saying server error. I dug and found a way to create an email support ticket. Finally success. 

Called in to support with this new ticket reference, only to get a nice guy reading off a script *repeatedly*. Each time i asked something new, I got the same script verbatim. They seem under-trained. All I need is a hardware RMA to take care of this buggy firmware update Netgear released that bricked this, up until now, lovely NAS device. 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 6 of 13
bbani
Tutor

That went nowhere. Netgear is not taking accountability, responsibility for the faulty firmware that has broken this unit. They hide behind a scripted support diatribe. They make it hard to open the support ticket in the first instance. And once you get someone on the phone, they are untrained and read off a script to troubleshoot. The guy faltered and repeated the steps a few times. 

I thank you all for your kind assistance, but I for one will no longer be buying or recommending anything Netgear for our datacenters based on the scripted support I just received. No compassion. Simple solution, once you determine it's a hardware failure, RMA. Don't hide behind the excuse of asking for a receipt. 

Message 7 of 13
bbani
Tutor

</rant> I might have more luck finding Hillary Clinton's lost State Department emails. Looking for receipt.

Message 8 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bbani,

While looking for the receipt, can you tell us which Firmware was suppose to be installed in your system (remotely)? If it's okay, I suggest that you run the USB recovery procedure again with another USB flash drive and try it on your system. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 13
bbani
Tutor

Thanks Brian. I repeated the exercise across 5 different (fairly new) usb flash drives. 

Boots on power-up directly into "boot from USB" prompt. Can't bypass to get the boot menu by pressing reset. Does nothing else but find the recovery USB, does something, then powers off. 

Got the unit RMA'd. Expecting replacement in next two days. 

Message 10 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bbani,

Thanks for trying. Leave this thread open until the replacement unit arrives and updated to the latest Firmware.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bbani,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 12 of 13
bbani
Tutor

I found the receipt, called back Netgear support, and they accepted to RMA the unit as it was within warranty period for hardware and having a hardware failure due to faulty Netgear issued firmware. 

New unit arrived next business day, and the drives were put in and they booted up fine. The unit is working now. Thank you. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements