× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 locked out and Boot Menu Mode only allows for Normal boot, cant get to OS reinstall

rafalux
Aspirant

RN104 locked out and Boot Menu Mode only allows for Normal boot, cant get to OS reinstall

Hi all,

I am locked out of my RN104.

I tried reset password but somehow it doesnt work saying "recover password failed"

I also tried to get to OS reinstal using boot menu option (power on with reset botton pressed).

The result is a Boot menu that does not let me choose anything when pressing backup botton. the only option availabe is Normal boot.

Can anyone help me reseting my RN104 to regain access??

Thanks

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104 locked out and Boot Menu Mode only allows for Normal boot, cant get to OS reinstall

Hi rafalux,

Can you try accessing the boot menu without the drives and see if you will get the same issue?

Note: Please label the drives with its corresponding bay before you remove them so you can re-insert them in the same order later.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
rafalux
Aspirant

Same thing, I get to "Boot Menu", but I can only select "Normal". No other options available.

Of corse when booting normal without disks I get ERR: .. no disks...

Message 3 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rafalux,

It is most probably an issue with the chassis already. If the device is still under warranty and you are the original purchaser of the device, you may contact support so they can provide replacement.

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
rafalux
Aspirant

Hmm, I am all but positive that I am out of warrenty.

Any other suggestion on how to get back in or do you think I just have to buy a new one??

Message 5 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rafalux,

This is actually a hardware issue already. It will be best if you replace it with a new chassis.

Regards,

Message 6 of 7
rafalux
Aspirant

Actually, I dont think it is.

I pulled all disks and inserted an ol 200GB disk.

with that, it rebooted and reset itself to Factory settings. I was able to log in, reset all options, but once I plugged in my 3 disks that fromed the RAID I was back to the same as before. the undesirable cure was DESTROY, FORMAT, and start from scratch.

But, at least the box is not bicked 🙂

Thank you all for youre suggestions

Rafa

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements