× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 stuck after OS reinstall

b_rake
Aspirant

RN104 stuck after OS reinstall

TL;DR - My RN104 was stuck on root fs check at 48% ->  rebooted to the same thing but stuck at 46% -> initiated OS reinstall from boot menu -> Now the screen is stuck at kfree+14c

Background:

I received an alert saying that my RN104 was using about 90% of it's space (8 out of 10TB). After finding out that I have 6TB of snapshots, I deleted all of the 2015 and 2016 snapshots for my shares and initiated a balance. I lost access to the box a while after. 

When I got home from work (hours later) the screen had "Out of Memory" and with that powercycled it as is usually necessary when servers go OOM. and left it at that. Hours later, I checked the box again and it just said 48%. Left it for the night and checked the next day around noon, still 48% curser not blinking. I hard powercycled again and watched it come up, it said something about doing a root filesystem check then the % numbers started climbing. This time it got stuck at 46% (which it got to fairly quickly). I left it for 2 days and it still had not moved, still stuck at 46% without the curser blinking. 

At this point i opted to re-install the OS from the boot menu. That seemed to go through the motions properly as far as I could tell, however it got stuck with the screen just displaying  kfree+14c and has been sitting there for a day. 

So does anyone have any ideas about steps I can take now? Is it safe to powercycle the box and see what happens when it boots up/attempt OS reinstall again?

Can I toss the drives in a normal linux box, assemble the array, and fsck from there/potentially grab a copy of important stuff so I can factory reset? 

Thanks guys, any advice would be great. 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
b_rake
Aspirant

Re: RN104 stuck after OS reinstall

So I got impatient and powercycled the box. Holding the power button nor reset button did anything so I ended up pulling power. The box booted, and completed the fsck it was stuck on previously. 

My fw version was 6.7.4 btw (or at least that's what it booted in to when the OS reinstalled)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware were you running?

Message 2 of 5
b_rake
Aspirant

Hey, thanks for the response.  I'm not sure off of the top of my head which version, It was one of the later minor releases of 6.7 tree. When I logged in after getting the space usage alert, I did have an updat waiting, however I didn't do it, thinking that I'd get disk usage under control before attempting a firmware upgrade and sadly didn't note the version I was coming from/to. Is there a way that I could verify the minor version while in this state? 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 5
b_rake
Aspirant

So I got impatient and powercycled the box. Holding the power button nor reset button did anything so I ended up pulling power. The box booted, and completed the fsck it was stuck on previously. 

My fw version was 6.7.4 btw (or at least that's what it booted in to when the OS reinstalled)

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Glad it's back up.

I suggest checking the SMART stats (you can download the log zip and see them in both smart.log and disk_info.log).

The RN104 memory is limited, so it's important to be careful on services and apps.  Disable file sharing protocols you don't need.  Consider turning off volume quotas and antivirus also.

Current firmware is 6.8.0 - released last week.  Early results here look pretty good - I'm not seeing a lot of issues.  There were several upgrade issues with 6.7.5, so I think you should skip that and move right 6.8.0.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements