× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 stuck at 'boot menu', flashing power button

gdekker
Aspirant

RN104 stuck at 'boot menu', flashing power button

It seems a power failure (even though the NAS was turned off) has broken my device. I found it having turned itself on saying 'boot menu' with the power button flashing.I took out the disks (and labeled them), but that made no difference. Pressing the backup button shows 'boot menu - normal', and that's as far as it goes. It is the exact same as when I try to initiate a reset by holding the reset button and pressing backup.

I tried updating the firmware. I started with 6.10.10 (which turned out impossible, but at that time I didn't know I was still at 6.2.4), which got the NAS stuck at IP:TELNET. That is when RAIDar finally recognised the device (and when I found out the firmare version), with 'Model: None' and 'Serial: N0NE00200000'.

Hoping that I could get it fixed just like skmax did, I tried updating to 6.2.5, followed by 6.5.2. In both cases the NAS said "update succesful" (or something like that, I cannot remember the specific wording), but when booting without a boot img on the stick (to get it in the TELNET mode) RAIDar tells me it is still at 6.2.4.

I'm close to accepting it is dead, but not completely willing to give it up just yet, so... help!

And if it is dead, assuming the disks are still ok, would putting them in a different RAID5 device work, or would I need to find a different way to save the data?

Message 1 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Not sure how far you can get, given the broken serial number.  But if you can get into tech support mode without the USB recovery image, then you can try to manually mount the OS partition and the data partition.  You could then copy the data off to USB disk(s).

It is also possible to trigger a firmware update from tech support mode.  But getting the data off the NAS first is the best approach.

@gdekker wrote:

And if it is dead, assuming the disks are still ok, would putting them in a different RAID5 device work, or would I need to find a different way to save the data?

It is possible to manually mount the disks from a normal linux system.

Message 2 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

How did you attempt the original update to 6.10.10?  By USB recovery?  That would be a bad thing and specifically what Netgear warns against doing, presumably for a reason.  And I suspect that reason is that something changes in UBOOT.  Of course, your UBOOT may have sustained damage, not just be corrupt.  But if USB recovery to the same version that is already in the unit doesn't fix it, it's likely nothing can short of manually wiping and restoring the UBOOT (which I have no experience with, but do recall seeing a post here about) will fix it, and that's assuming there is no damage to it.

If you want to move the drives to another ReadyNAS, I'm not sure if the old OS will create an issue or not since it will update your OS on the drives to whatever version it has and going back to 6.2.4 on the replacement isn't something you should do.  On an Intel based machine, I don't think it would matter.  But on another ARM system, I just don't know because I don't know the reason for the update warnings.

Message 3 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Not sure how far you can get, given the broken serial number.  But if you can get into tech support mode without the USB recovery image, then you can try to manually mount the OS partition and the data partition.  You could then copy the data off to USB disk(s).

It is also possible to trigger a firmware update from tech support mode.  But getting the data off the NAS first is the best approach.
It is possible to manually mount the disks from a normal linux system.

Alas, pressing the backup button doesn't cycle through the options, but stops at 'Boot Mode - Normal'; Tech support mode doesn't seem like an option. Copying the data would be a problem in itself as it is a half full 4x3TB RAID5, but I'll deal with that later, I'm not too worried that I might lose the data (but it would be nice to be able to fix the NAS in stead of having to find a big enough storage space to copy the data, get a new NAS and copying it back again.)

@Sandshark wrote:

How did you attempt the original update to 6.10.10?  By USB recovery?  That would be a bad thing and specifically what Netgear warns against doing, presumably for a reason.  And I suspect that reason is that something changes in UBOOT.  Of course, your UBOOT may have sustained damage, not just be corrupt.  But if USB recovery to the same version that is already in the unit doesn't fix it, it's likely nothing can short of manually wiping and restoring the UBOOT (which I have no experience with, but do recall seeing a post here about) will fix it, and that's assuming there is no damage to it.

Indeed, by USB recovery (there was no other option), and trying to update 6.10.10 from 6.2.4 may have made the problems worse..? However, I did some troubleshooting and that seemed like the only option. I feel like Netgear didn't do too good a job warning against it. Sure, the USB Recovery Tool Page says to only use it at the "recommendation of Netgear Tech Support", but that's about as serious a warning as Samsung telling me not to install LineageOS on their device, so it never seemed like that big a deal. It's not like I haven't done dozens of similar things on differents systems. Also, the download page doesn't mention not to install 6.10.10 on 6.3.x or older (that's merely mentioned in the release notes), that, to me, seems like a pretty big thing to omit.

Anyway, on topic: I understand plugging the disks in a different NAS would most likely not work, so even though I'm still hoping on a little miracle that will fix my NAS, I will start thinking of a way to copy the data.

Message 4 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@gdekker wrote:
Also, the download page doesn't mention not to install 6.10.10 on 6.3.x or older (that's merely mentioned in the release notes), that, to me, seems like a pretty big thing to omit.

It is, though keep in mind that you hadn't updated the firmware in 9 years.  If you'd kept up along the way, you wouldn't have run into this.

@gdekker wrote:
Anyway, on topic: I understand plugging the disks in a different NAS would most likely not work, so even though I'm still hoping on a little miracle that will fix my NAS, I will start thinking of a way to copy the data.

Disks can be migrated to another OS-6 ReadyNAS.  You'd need to purchase one used.  If you want to try this, install a test disk (not in the array) on the NAS first, and update the firmware to 6.10.9 (if you don't care about apps, you can go to 6.10.10).  Make sure the NAS will boot with the test disk in every slot (powering down before moving the disk).  After that, you can power down again and migrate the disks.

As I mentioned above, if you can connect all the disks to a PC, you can boot up that PC using linux (using a "live" USB boot disk) and then mount the disks manually using linux commands. 

Message 5 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

It is also possible to trigger a firmware update from tech support mode.

I just noticed that when booting from USB without an image on it, RAIDar detects the nas in 'Tech Support Mode', although it doesn't detect (the absence of) any disks). How would I trigger the firmware update from that?RAIDar.png

Message 6 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Disks can be migrated to another OS-6 ReadyNAS.  You'd need to purchase one used.  If you want to try this, install a test disk (not in the array) on the NAS first, and update the firmware to 6.10.9 (if you don't care about apps, you can go to 6.10.10).  Make sure the NAS will boot with the test disk in every slot (powering down before moving the disk).  After that, you can power down again and migrate the disks.

What concerns me about doing this, and just because I don't know what will happen, is that the OS on the drives will update to 6.10.x when they are installed  without (it appears) going through the standard upgrade path.  That should only be an issue with those ARM systems that require it, and may not be with them, either.  @StephenB , do you know for sure?

Message 7 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

It is, though keep in mind that you hadn't updated the firmware in 9 years.  If you'd kept up along the way, you wouldn't have run into this.

Well, the main problem is the power outage causing the 'boot menu' erro and the system not booting. I'm pretty sure having the latest firmware would'nt've prevented these problems. Nor do we know if if me trying to install 6.10.10 did anything at all, and if it did, if that caused the system to not update to 6.2.5 now. But yes, keeping the system up-to-date might not have been a bad idea, regardless of these problems 😉

@StephenB wrote:
As I mentioned above, if you can connect all the disks to a PC, you can boot up that PC using linux (using a "live" USB boot disk) and then mount the disks manually using linux commands. 

I looked around for a secondhand 4-bay ReadyNAS, but none are offered. Plus, it might be wise not to migrate to another outdated system. So I think the easiest way would be to simply buy a new NAS and go the Linux route. There should be plenty documentation on how to do that, so I think I'll manage. (And if not, I know my way to the forum.)

Thanks for the help so far!

Message 8 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

Thanks for adding that concern, that makes 3 reasons not to go for the OS-6 ReadyNAS. I've almost arrived at the 'acceptance' part of this grieving process 😉

Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@gdekker wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

It is also possible to trigger a firmware update from tech support mode.

I just noticed that when booting from USB without an image on it, RAIDar detects the nas in 'Tech Support Mode', although it doesn't detect (the absence of) any disks). How would I trigger the firmware update from that?

You'd first log into the NAS via telnet (using the back door password), and then mount the OS partition.

From there you would copy the firmware image to /etc/.flash_update and reboot the NAS.

If you want to try that, I'd suggest installing 6.2.4, as that seems safer than trying to go forward.

Message 10 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:
That should only be an issue with those ARM systems that require it, and may not be with them, either.  @StephenB , do you know for sure?

Of course one way to avoid that would be to migrate to an x86 ReadyNAS.

I don't know for certain, but I've always assumed the upgrade steps are needed because 6.2.5 and 6.5.2 included UBOOT updates, and that the newer firmware required those updates to be installed in order for the system to boot.

Message 11 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

Hm, I'm subscribed to the topic, but I haven't gotten any email notifications after the 1st two. Strange... Oh well.

@StephenB wrote:

You'd first log into the NAS via telnet (using the back door password), and then mount the OS partition.

From there you would copy the firmware image to /etc/.flash_update and reboot the NAS.

If you want to try that, I'd suggest installing 6.2.4, as that seems safer than trying to go forward.

Note: I have very little Linux and no Telnet experience, but have done plenty of Windows tinkering. So here we go!

Logging in: check. Mounting the OS partition, unfortunately, seems impossible. (Which was kind of expected, as RAIDar cannot detect the disk status.) This is part of my Telnet adventure:

# start_raid.sh
-sh: start_raid.sh: not found

# ls
# pwd
/root
# ls -al
drwx------ 4 0 Sep 13 05:30 .
drwxrwxrwx 19 0 Sep 13 05:22 ..
-rw------- 1 107 Sep 13 05:42 .ash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 Jun 11 2013 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 175 Jun 11 2013 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r-- 1 161 Jun 11 2013 .bash_profile
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 Dec 21 2017 .ssh

This doesn't look too promising. However, somehow I found the rnutil command, and would you look at that, I can try a firmware update from here!

# rnutil firmware_update
name: ReadyNASOS
version: 6.2.4 => 6.5.2
verno: 6002004 => 6005002
time: 1430414564 => 1472768299
arch: arm
size: 59531264
md5sum: 34b8b991c91124a8a652ba22387d5910

descr: ReadyNASOS Update
error downloading firmware image

... but alas, no luck. (Also note that it tries to install 6.5.2, whereas NetGear says to update to 6.2.5 first. Good thing it couldn't download it then, I guess.)

Ok, next command: 'rnutil -get_disk_info' does detect the disks and that info looks fine.
Let's try the start_raids command

# rnutil start_raids
mdadm: /dev/md/0 has been started with 4 drives.
mdadm: /dev/md/1 has been started with 4 drives.
mdadm: /dev/md/data-0 has been started with 4 drives.
mount: mounting LABEL=0e346bd0:data on /data failed: No such file or directory

I don't know if that 5th line should worry me, but at least I can mount the disk, go to sysroot, create '.flash_update' in /etc aaannndd... I forgot to put the images on the stick. And crap, the 'rnutil rn_shutdown' command doesn't work (it says to use 'reboot' which also does nothing), which means unplugging the power with the disks spinning, not a fan of that, but it seems like the only option...
I copied the image to the stick (naming it '624' as to not have the NAS try and install it when booting).
I repeated all the steps aaaaannnndd... I'm stuck as I have no idea how to mount the usb stick. So I may need your hel once again!

Also, if anyone knows a shutdown command that does work, please let me know! Cutting the power like this really does not feel good.

Message 12 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

My reply is gone? I wrote a whole paragraph reporting my journey, I saw it being posted, but now it's just... gone..?!? now I have to figure it out again from scratch 😞

Anyway, the summary, and the help I now need, is:

- I can start the raid and mount the volumes (using the 'rnutil' commands), but don't know how to mount the USB stick, and
- the 'rnutil rn_shutdown' doesn't work (says I should use 'reboot', but that doesn't work either). Is there a known shutdown command that does work?

Message 13 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Your first reply got caught in the spam filter.

How is your USB stick formatted???

Message 14 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Your first reply got caught in the spam filter.

How is your USB stick formatted???

Me posting a reply in my own topic triggered the spam filter? Without giving me the option to undo that or even letting me know? This forum, it's quite... wel, let's say quirky 😅

The stick is FAT32 (as is required to be able to boot off it, I think).

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

First see if it is already mounted.  Just type mount  - that will show you all the mounted drives on the system.

If it doesn't show up there, then we need to find the drive letter.  Enter fdisk -l - that will list all the drives.  Normally the internal disks will be first (sda, sdb, sdc, sdd), followed by the USB drives

Once you know the drive name (lets call it sdX), you can mount it to /mnt using mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt

Note the number at the end is the partition number.  The internal drives have 3 or more partitions - 1 is the OS, 2 is for swap, and the remaining ones for for the data volume.

Message 16 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

First see if it is already mounted.  Just type mount  - that will show you all the mounted drives on the system.

If it doesn't show up there, then we need to find the drive letter.  Enter fdisk -l - that will list all the drives.  Normally the internal disks will be first (sda, sdb, sdc, sdd), followed by the USB drives

Once you know the drive name (lets call it sdX), you can mount it to /mnt using mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt

Note the number at the end is the partition number.  The internal drives have 3 or more partitions - 1 is the OS, 2 is for swap, and the remaining ones for for the data volume.

Damnit, again no email notification 🙄

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow. In the meantime, if you (or anyone) have any ideas on how to properly shut down the NAS using telnet, I'd love to hear it!

Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@gdekker wrote: if you (or anyone) have any ideas on how to properly shut down the NAS using telnet, I'd love to hear it!

I think the problem is the chroot is getting in the way.  Maybe try exiting the chroot first (typing exit, or pressing ctrl+d).  Then try ./sbin/shutdown -h now

Message 18 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

# mount
mount: failed to read mtab: No such file or directory

# fdisk -l
fdisk: cannot open /proc/partitions: No such file or directory

So following this page I type:

# mount -t proc /proc /sysroot/proc
mount: mount point /sysroot/proc does not exist

So I give up. This isn't going well, and the lack of Linux experience is very limiting, and I feel this has such a small chance of succeeding anyway. The shutdown thing also doesn't work ("-sh: shutdown: not found", and there is no "sbin" dir if I'm not in chroot mode), and I really don't want to pull the plug on my disks every time I test this.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, even though it led to nothing. I'll consider the NAS dead, and I'll go and prepare and set up the rescue mission on a Linux machine.

Message 19 of 20
gdekker
Aspirant

Small update, for anyone that's interested: I was expecting to have to configure all kinds of weird raid-related stuff in Linux and look up and run a plethora of commands. I downloaded Ubuntu (I went for 14.x, because of this post on Superuser) and was a bit confused when the "mdadm --assemble --scan" told me it found nothing. However, after a few frustrating and fruitless searches it turned out that the raid was auto-found and mounted and all the data was right there all along, just not where I first thought I should look.

Anyway, long story short: the raid was auto-configured (after installing mdadm) and the data is safe. (Considering the NAS now officially dead.)

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements