× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 stuck on Booting after firmware upgrade

maxman1
Apprentice

RN104 stuck on Booting after firmware upgrade

3 Days ago I installed firmware 6.9.3 on my RN104. I was in the other room. After about an hour on not being able to access my NAS, I went and saw on the LCD "Boot from USB Failed!". So thanks so much Netgear for destroying my NAS! I checked message boards for a solution. I tried the USB recovery, and it does not work. I tried taking out the disks and doing recovery, and it does not work. I tried new disks and doing recovery and it does not work! Everytime after trying recovery and powering on, I get the message "Boot from USB Failed!" With this being an older unit, I have no support for the product, yet the product was working perfectly fine until your newest firmware! Did you intentionally do this to force people to buy a new NAS? Is this like Apple slowing down old iPhones on purpose? I demand a fix for a problem you caused!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
maxman1
Apprentice

I just spent a couple hours completely taking the NAS apart, cleaned, put back together. It wasn't very dusty, and the backup button did not appear stuck. However, I put it all back together, and surprisingly it seems to be working fine now. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15

All Replies
maxman1
Apprentice

Any help Netgear? 

Message 2 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did the system automatically power off when USB Boot Recovery was complete?

Note not all USB keys are compatible

That error could suggest a problem e.g. the backup button being stuck in.
Message 3 of 15
maxman1
Apprentice

@mdgm-ntgrwrote:
Did the system automatically power off when USB Boot Recovery was complete?

Note not all USB keys are compatible

That error could suggest a problem e.g. the backup button being stuck in.

Yes, it auto shuts off everytime I've tried. I've used 2 different USB sticks (PNY 16GB and SanDisk 32GB). I've tried probably over 20 times. It appears to do it's 'recovery' each time and shuts off. I remove the USB stick, power on, and almost immediately gives the error.

It doesn't appear the reset button is stuck. It pushes in and out normally. If that were the case, not sure how that could happen because it is kept in a safe place where no one every touches the NAS... 

Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Booting off USB uses the backup button not the reset button.

If the reset button was the problem you'd expect it to go into the boot menu each time you try to boot it.

Message 5 of 15
maxman1
Apprentice

@mdgm-ntgrwrote:

Booting off USB uses the backup button not the reset button.

If the reset button was the problem you'd expect it to go into the boot menu each time you try to boot it.

My bad, I meant the backup button. It does not appear to be stuck. But I suppose I will open it up to see what it looks like... the button pushed on and off normally though

Message 6 of 15
maxman1
Apprentice

I just spent a couple hours completely taking the NAS apart, cleaned, put back together. It wasn't very dusty, and the backup button did not appear stuck. However, I put it all back together, and surprisingly it seems to be working fine now. 🙂

Message 7 of 15
DamionJones
Aspirant

For what it is worth, this past week, I have been moving everything from my NAS Boxes to my Server.

I have 2 ReadyNAS 104 boxes, both with 4x3TB Drives in ( all WD RED ) plus I alos have 2 DLINK 320B NAS Boxes, bothwith 2x2TB in, one with Hitachi and the other with Seagate.

The Netgears were both setup with 2x3TB as one in RAID and the other 2 as seperates. Now, they are simply going to be acting as backup to the Server's DATA Drives.

Now, when I reset my first NAS, it went through just fine and I was ok with it, however the second one seemed to be trapped like yours, in some infinite loop? I reset it a few times, ( I think 3 times? ) and it finally got itself all sorted out.

I dont know why this was, but I do know, that even though both my Netgear 104's are completely empty, and I have them setup both as one single drive in RAID5, they are in a RE-SYNCING sort of loop now, that is getting on my nerves...

Whats it SYNCing with? And why is it taking days to SYNC with nothing?

Is yours now doing that?

Message 8 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The disks have to be synced sector by sector to setup the RAID. This is done at a lower level than the filesystem.

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

This is done at a lower level than the filesystem.

Yes - and that means that it takes the same amount of time even if the drives have no files on them.

Message 10 of 15
maxman1
Apprentice

No, mine is working normally. I'm not seeing the sync loop you are seeing.

I don't think I can help, my only suggestion is to check your apps and any backup jobs you might have.. Perhaps there is an app trying to sync and failing or a backup job failing (and keeps retrying )
Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@maxman1 wrote:
I don't think I can help, my only suggestion is to check your apps and any backup jobs you might have.. Perhaps there is an app trying to sync and failing or a backup job failing (and keeps retrying )

I don't think so- this sounds like a normal RAID resync.  It takes a long time to complete on an RN104.  The OP uses the word "loop", but doesn't explain why he thinks it is looping.

Message 12 of 15
DamionJones
Aspirant

RE: Looping

When you said OP, did you mean me? I did say that it was in a sort of loop, but of course I know its not as the % is definitely going up... I merely meant that not litterally.
The whole thing is horribly slow, dropping down to 10mb/s and at best its at 40.
And yes, I agree that it is the normal RAID RESYNC but it seems to be rather slow, but as has been suggested, the 104 is slow at that, and so there is the answer there then!

My only one issue now, is that they are now just being buggers to me in their visibility.

For example, my AMD can see them perfectly fine, and always has.
My Kabylake however sees them, I can access the main admin page, but can I get at the files? NO! - I can use the download option from inside the admin page yes, but I cannot simply make a Network drive or even go through the network with explorer.
This has been a pain for a few weeks and it sort of does it on and off on other Machines too... That is why I decided to stop using them and move everything to the SERVER.
The DLINKS are doing the exact opposite... They are seen in the Intel but the AMD does not.
My daughters PC sees everything and my sons sees nothing and the Media PC also has issues, but they all see the server, so...

Message 13 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

DamionJones are you able to download the logs from your NAS and send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@DamionJones wrote:

RE: Looping.  When you said OP, did you mean me? 

Yes  - OP: "Original Poster".  Though you aren't really, since you added your problem to @maxman1's thread.

Hopefully @mdgm-ntgr will see something in the logs that will help resolve the file explorer issues you are seeing.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements