× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 triggering vertical expansion in X-raid

NasNard
Guide

RN104 triggering vertical expansion in X-raid

Hi, I have an RN104 I just upgraded to 6.4.1. I had four 3tb drives and I swapped them for four 6tb drives. My drive space pre-swap was about 9tb, and I was expecting the new usable storage to be about 18tb.

I was using X-Raid, Raid5; So I had backed all my stuff up and one by one swapped out the drives. I was under the impression that the X-Raid would be vertically expanded on its own. But it seems like it only happened during swaps of drive 2 or 3.

So for some reason after swapping four 6tb drives, I only have usable space of about 10tb, which is not what I was expecting at all. Am I missing a process or will I need to rebuild all 4 drives to get the 18tb?

*edited formatting easier read

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
NasNard
Guide

Re: RN104 triggering vertical expansion in X-raid

If anyone was wondering, after reviewing the logs, i determined it was faster to destroy everything and rebuild it to get the proper volume. Yay for backups.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Is the array done syncing?  If so, try restarting the NAS.

Message 2 of 6
NasNard
Guide

As far as I can tell, the box is idle now. I've restarted twice since. Nothing is displayed in the front. Nothing displaying active in the UI (like nothing is in progress) and I have email notices that the last disk upgrade It has since changed from RESYNC to ONLINE.

Since then, I upgraded from 6.4 to 6.4.1 and restarted twice more.

I will restart again but this will be the third time.

Message 3 of 6
NasNard
Guide

Restart has not changed the situation

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Maybe download the logs, and see if there is anything in rn-expand.log and mdstat.log

Message 5 of 6
NasNard
Guide

If anyone was wondering, after reviewing the logs, i determined it was faster to destroy everything and rebuild it to get the proper volume. Yay for backups.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements