× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 with 6.2.2 permanent freeze. How go back to 6.1.x?

desm11
Aspirant

RN104 with 6.2.2 permanent freeze. How go back to 6.1.x?

Hi there,

maybe someone solved a problem with permanent freeze of RN104 after upgrade to 6.2.x?

Behavior:
After Boot RN104 may work 1-2-3 days and stop responding. Device reply to ping, but no GUI, no SMB share even no Power Off button works.

My actions (unsuccessful):
1. OS reinstall - no success (6.2.2 installed now)
2. Test memory - OK
3. Test HDD (I have 4 WD RED 3Tb each - all SATA error = 0) - OK
4. Backup and make Reset to Factory - no success

Absolutely have no idea what to do next. When was 6.1.9 then such freeze happens only once or twice per year.

Maybe I can downgrade to 6.1.9. Even of I need to backup and Reset to Factory again 😞

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 29
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: RN104 with 6.2.2 permanent freeze. How go back to 6.1.x?

desm1 wrote:
Maybe I can downgrade to 6.1.9. Even of I need to backup and Reset to Factory again 😞

You cannot downgrade the firmware to v6.1.x once the NAS is upgraded to v6.2.x
Message 2 of 29
desm11
Aspirant

I`m not sure that it`s not possible. Some special prepared USB.
Otherwise device is absolutely unusable.
Message 3 of 29
Nhellie
Virtuoso

yup, it was mentioned on the release notes of the 6.2.x that once it was updated there is no going back to 6.1.x , probably just gonna have to wait for a beta fix or official FW.
Message 4 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Which services do you use on the NAS? Any apps?
Message 5 of 29
desm11
Aspirant

After RAID rebuild (last rebuild was finished but after hard power on/off, it started again), device hangs after 3-4 hours.
Ping works. SSH - not (was enabled before to try to monitor).
😞

Small box of ...
Message 6 of 29
IanWilson
Aspirant

Well I have had my 314 for less than a day and it was working fine. I uninstall Netgear surveillance and after that point I can't access the admin web page. I can access shares and ready cloud etc. just not the local admin page.

All within 24 hours from brand new. Not happy.

Contacted support, tried browser cache resets and disable, tried OS reinstall, all to no avail, told to put the item in tech support mode and hours on I am still awaiting some form of further interaction.

I bought the unit new in the UK, so have a right to go back to the retailer and ask for an exchange or refund which I may have to do, as I have no way of knowing how quickly, if at all this will be resolved, and I have no faith in the NAS now when it breaks so quickly.

I feel for you- it's a terrible position to be in, and neither of us can use our data currently can we?
Message 7 of 29
desm11
Aspirant

I found interesting thing - as last time I switch off by power cord then rebuild process started. While process not finished then I can use device as usual. 🙂
So may be just create cron script to loop rebuild forever? ;-);-)
Message 8 of 29
IanWilson
Aspirant

Well, much relief on my front. Netgear support came through after 12 hours or so and fixed my problem. Turns out that the procedure to uninstall some apps is broken and leaving some files behind which then interfere with the Apache server in the box. They advise not to uninstall any more apps until the firmware gets fixed. I am running 6.2.2 - could this be a similar problem you are having?
Message 9 of 29
desm11
Aspirant

Thank you, Ian, but in my case nothing was installed/uninstalled.
I use NAS as backup for my Home computers and DLNA server for NetTV (Philips) only.

So I began from 6.0.4 (more then year ago) and installed new firmware each time when GUI asked me about it. So it was no any doubts to install new ones, but now I think it was my mistake.

My reason was - maybe some new security issue fixes or errors were resolved. So I will wait 6.2.3. or new ReadyNAS series - RN204 🙂
Message 10 of 29
jsnow31
Aspirant

Hello,
Whtih the 6.2.3 beta firmware, I still have freezes...
Someone else have the same issue?
Message 11 of 29
desm11
Aspirant

Hi jsnow31,
with latest beta 6.2.3 no more freezes during last week.
Just APC UPS problem stil exist but only annoying nor more.
Message 12 of 29
jsnow31
Aspirant

Hello,
Thanks for your answer.
I have an opened case whith netgear support, but I really dont understand: the RN104 was stable and I have all my raspberry images stored on it.
The problem hapenned with the 6.2.2 FW update.
I have only SMB, http/https activated.
The access to admin page is erratic and the RN104 freezes sometimes within minutes.
Message 13 of 29
desm11
Aspirant

Hi,
absolutely the same - I used to use RN104 from September 2013 - maybe 1 time of freeze per year.
After upgrade to 6.2.x it`s just impossible to use - hangs in any time (especially when idle). I use the small part of X-RAID (WD Red 3Tb) for backup my home PCs and DLNA. No any apps installed.

I made some investigations in logs - found only one thing - something about Bad sector table. So only idea - maybe new firmware occasionally write to bad memory sector.
No any other ideas.

Really I like NETGEAR before (use it on my work - switches, VPN routers) but for now I'm in confusion. How I can rely on company which not test firmware before publishing.
Message 14 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Every firmware update is tested before it is released.

These lockups have been unable to be reproduced so far and the logs we have received don't show entries at the time of the lockup to show why they locked up which makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

Our general feedback that we have received is that 6.2.x has been an improvement over previous releases. We would like to determine why some of our users are experiencing lockups.
Message 15 of 29
jsnow31
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,
I guess we understand in a way, as you understand that, even if its difficult in IT services to prevent everything, it s quite a mess when you loose personal and in my case professional data because we updated a firmware.
Its my second netgear NAS, and the second time it happens... And it doesnt seem that we are a few with this freeze problem.
As the support didnt manage to access my NAS (guess the nas freezes to quickly), I just ask you when a new release will be published.
Have a good day
Message 16 of 29
jsnow31
Aspirant

A little test:
- Unplugged physically network interface
- SMB, http, https on
- freezes within 10mn

Admin page goes offline from time to time.
A surprise: I tryed to erase snapshots files. They reappear...
Message 17 of 29
jsnow31
Aspirant

Disabled all the snapshots, erased one by one the snapshot files, surprise, the nas is online for 1h without any freeze.
The admin page is much more easy to access...
Is the snapshot process the issue?
(sorry for my poor english, i'm french)
Message 18 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can't give an ETA yet on when the next firmware will be available. In any case if an issue is hard to reproduce it is impossible to suggest a time on when there will be a fix.

Can you send a fresh set of logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 19 of 29
jsnow31
Aspirant

Sent, thks.
Message 20 of 29
jsnow31
Aspirant

Frozen again after 6h on line...
Message 21 of 29
jsnow31
Aspirant

I have theese error messages, just before the NAS froze (systemd-journal.log):

Line 4515: Jan 31 17:07:53 NAS kernel: mvSFlashInit ERROR: Unknown SPI flash device!
Line 4516: Jan 31 17:07:53 NAS kernel: ERROR: sflash_probe - Failed to initialize the SFlash.
Line 4552: Jan 31 17:07:53 NAS kernel: o Driver ERROR statistics enabled
Line 4945: Jan 31 17:08:32 NAS readynasd[1405]: Error proxy call. GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit radar.timer is not loaded.
Line 4945: Jan 31 17:08:32 NAS readynasd[1405]: Error proxy call. GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit radar.timer is not loaded.
Line 4953: Jan 31 17:08:32 NAS apache2[1400]: [error] (9)Bad file descriptor: apr_socket_accept: (client socket)

Someone had the same?
Message 22 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Those messages are not the problem.
Message 23 of 29
hactic
Aspirant

Hi all,

same problem here on my RN104, using 1 TB WD and 2 TB WD Red in bay 1 and 2 for quite a while.

Freeze keeps occuring since January 2015 = after upgrading to OS 6.2.2.
Only unplugging helps. No suspected activity or apps (but only the OS itself).

Can I go back to 6.1.9 [http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25636/~/readynas-os-version-6.1.9] by downloading and flashing it in?
I have a backup on a btrfs disk and am OK with losing the data on volume 1; also have done a factory reset already.

Any news on replicating the issue in the lab?
New version 6.2.3, 6.3.0 of the OS ahead?

best regards

Klaus (hactic)
Message 24 of 29
hactic
Aspirant

Just tried to upload OS arm 6.1.9 and got message:

"Error
Uploaded file is older than the current version."

I. e. it really prohibits to step down. 😞
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements