× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10400 Boot from USB Failure After Firmware Update

edthesprinter
Aspirant

RN10400 Boot from USB Failure After Firmware Update

Hello,

I went into the admin console and saw that the firmware for my ReadyNAS 104 had a firmware update. I did the update using the console, and when it rebooted, there was an error in the LED that said it failed to boot from the USB. After searching around, I found this, and made a recovery USB

After trying, it recognized that it was doing a recovery, but after about 3 - 5 minutes, it gave me a message: "DEBUG: Telnet" and an IP address. When I tried to telnet to that IP address, the admin/password combination did not work. Then I tried to recover again, and it gave me a DEBUG telnet IP address of 192.168.168.168. This IP address doesn't work, in fact, it's not even in my subnet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If I have to buy another NAS, will the drives be recognized?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN10400 Boot from USB Failure After Firmware Update

@edthesprinter wrote:

After trying, it recognized that it was doing a recovery, but after about 3 - 5 minutes, it gave me a message: "DEBUG: Telnet" and an IP address. When I tried to telnet to that IP address, the admin/password combination did not work. Then I tried to recover again, and it gave me a DEBUG telnet IP address of 192.168.168.168. This IP address doesn't work, in fact, it's not even in my subnet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

What happens if you remove all USB drives (including the recovery disk) and reboot the NAS?

FWIW, the 192.168.168.168 IP address is what the NAS uses when getting an address with DHCP fails.  Also admin/password won't work when you are access with telnet, you need to use root with a different password.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements