× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10400 - Unable to access to the NAS

Ronmoul
Aspirant

RN10400 - Unable to access to the NAS

Hi!

My NAS RN10400 is unreachble, either via htttp admin console (ReadyNAS Admin Page is offline)

or via  the network and windows from multiple machine.

The power light is always blinking.

When i use the RAID software  diagnotics i get  the message here in the screenshot attached

Thank's in advance for your help

Ronald

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN10400 - Unable to access to the NAS

@Ronmoul

Welcome to the Community!

You may want to contact Support for the issue you are having since the diagnostics show that your Disk 3 has reallocated sectors, this needs replacement of the disks but the cause why your NAS is offline is more on the Volume root has been full. When Data or OS volume becomes full, processes or booting can be an issue and also degrades the performance.

Contacting Support is the best option here so that they will be able to assist you on getting to your data. You can login to my.netgear.com to create a case for Support to follow up.

Alternatively, if you already have backup of you may want to make sure that the failing disk is replaced and perform a factory reset. 

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

While 24 re-allocated sectors is something to take notice about, it's not a catastrophy.  The cause of your problem is the full root partition.  Unfortunately, it appears you have let it go to the point that it's hard to fix.  If you have a backup, do a factory default and recover data fro backup.  If you don't, and you already had SSH enabled, see if you can get in through SSH.  If you can, there are guides to help you clean up the root partition.  If you have neither of these options, then you need to contact Netgear support.

Whatever way you go, you need to figure out why the root partition got filled, or it will happen again.  And you also need to be mindful of any warnings the NAS is giving, as it likely had several warnings of this impending condition before it became dire.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Whatever way you go, you need to figure out why the root partition got filled, or it will happen again. 

If you were still running 6.9.5 firmware with the AntiVirus service enabled, then that would explain it.  That service failed (due to insufficient memory in the NAS) and was removed altogether in 6.10.x

If that's not the situation, then it likely was a third party app. What apps did you install?

Message 4 of 13
Ronmoul
Aspirant

Hello!

Thank you for your quick answer, and sorry for the late response. My NAS is no longer under warranty, i have to think about the opportunity of taken a 90$ support for one year.

I wonder if it is possible to empty the root volume, if i am able to get access tot the NAS via ssh?

Anyway, thank you for your help

Ronald

Message 5 of 13
Ronmoul
Aspirant

Hello!

you totally are right, i have to  be aware about the warnings, unfortunately, the NAS was running fine  and i did not pay attention to any warnings messages

I have a partial backup of my datas Smiley Sad, so i am going to try a factory reset.

Ronald

Message 6 of 13
Ronmoul
Aspirant

Hello!

I have  no additional applications installed Smiley Sad

The fact is that it is the third times , that kind of problem occurs . The first time a guy from Netgear support get acces remotely to my NAS and fix the problem ... 

I have already change 2 hard disks.  I just use the NAS in a simple and traditionnal way: share data accross my private home network, to store mainly movies, photos and music files.

Now, i have no more any support from Netgear.

And the  AntiVirus was already disabled.

Thank's for your response

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Ronmoul wrote:

I have  no additional applications installed 

And the  AntiVirus was already disabled.

It's quite unusual to see a full root volume without some applications (including AntiVirus) being installed.  Did you have AntiVirus enabled earlier?  If so, do you recall about when you disabled it?

Do you have a back up of the files on the NAS?

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you doing any backups to a USB drive?  If something happens to the mount point of a USB drive, then the backup can go to the actual directory on the OS partition rather than the USB drive that's supposed to be mounted to it.  That can fill a root partition quickly.

If you can get access via SSH or Tech Support mode, and you are confortable with the Linux shell, you may be able to find and delete the offending files yourself.  I've seen guides for doing so posted, but don't have a handy link.

Message 9 of 13
Ronmoul
Aspirant

Hello!

I can imagine that it is quit unusual. I have had a lot of troubles with this NAS. After the last problem (2 hard disks out of order), i have done a factory reset, and i was unable to install any applications because the page containning avalaible applications was empty. At the begining the antivirus was enable, when i see that my system was very slow, i disabled it ...

After i get a "ReadyNAS Admin Page is offline" when i try to get acces to the NAS via the admin console ... but data was accesible via the network

Now i have done an OS restore via the boot menu ... it get worse ... unable to access to my data ... even no access vie ssh ..... and unable to download the logs  .....

I have a partial bachup of my backup data ....

Ronald

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You can still get paid support through my.netgear.com.  That's probably your best option (since you have no backup).

FWIW, RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  So after you get through this issue you should put a backup plan in place.

Message 11 of 13
Ronmoul
Aspirant

Hello!

I have decided to restart with the  factory reset option. Indeed, i have lost all my datas. Then NAs have done a 2 days "data recovering" for ... nothing Smiley Sad

Anyway, i get your point about considering  to put a  backup plan in place, but honestly, i dont really know how to backup  5.4 TB of data (and soon 12TB, since i want to upgrade to 4 x 4 Tb hard disks), and on which support (tapes?) ... for me, the purpose of this NAS was to secure my datas   with the Raid5 option.

Anyway, thank's a lot for your comment

Ronald

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Ronmoul wrote:

Hello!

I have decided to restart with the  factory reset option. Indeed, i have lost all my datas. Then NAs have done a 2 days "data recovering" for ... nothing Smiley Sad

Anyway, i get your point about considering  to put a  backup plan in place, but honestly, i dont really know how to backup  5.4 TB of data (and soon 12TB, since i want to upgrade to 4 x 4 Tb hard disks), and on which support (tapes?) ... for me, the purpose of this NAS was to secure my datas   with the Raid5 option.

Anyway, thank's a lot for your comment

Ronald

RAID isn't enough, as you learned.

Personally I back up to another NAS. But you can use USB drives as well.  You can get a 10 TB USB drive (for instance a Western Digital EasyStore) for $250 US.  That might be enough to back up a 12 TB volume.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements