× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10400 Won't Shut Down

DaveR54
Aspirant

RN10400 Won't Shut Down

My NAS won't complete shut down when selected from the GUI or initiated by the power button on the unit.  It hangs on the "Shutting Down Goodbye" screen with only the power indicator blinking at approximately a 1 Hz rate.  Othe LEDs are on solid. Only the WoL function is enabled.  Disk Spin Down and Power Timer are both off.  And the Log contains all GREEN indications.

Tried to manually re-install the FW from the downloaded ZIP file, but of course that did not complete because it could not shut down to restart.  Did an OS Reinstall from the Boot Menu.  No luck on any of these efforts.  When unit hangs at Shut Down, I have to pull the DC plug from the rear and then reinsert it.  Unit operates fine otherwise.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Running FW 6.5.1.

One application loaded: PLEX.

1.77TB free out of 1.81TB

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN10400 Won't Shut Down

It seems that the last entry before the system is booting again consistently relates to shutting down the MySQL service.

What do you use MySQL for? Perhaps removing this would resolve the problem.

I can see you don't have much data on this unit (less than 70GB) and it hasn't been factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) since you got it with 6.0.0 firmware. So one option would be to backup your data, do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you disable WoL does that make any difference?

Message 2 of 10
DaveR54
Aspirant

I unchecked the WoL box and that made no difference.  Still hangs on the "Shutting down" screen.  

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you update to ReadyNAS OS 6.5.2 now that has been released and check again after you have updated to that?

Message 4 of 10
DaveR54
Aspirant

Clicking on the "Check for Updates" button returned a "Your System is up to date" message.  So I downloaded the ZIP file and did the manual update, which necessitated the removal of power to get it to restart.  I did the manual boot routine to get it to load the OS from the flash and when it finally came on line, the admin page displayed FW 6.5.2 version.  So I believe it was updated to OS 6.5.2.  BUT, after waiting for all the activity to cease on the hard drive, I clicked the shutdown in the upper right of the GUI and the system is still hung at the "Shutting Down Goodbye" screen with the power LED blinking.

Should I copy off all my data to another drive on my computer and do a factory reset?  I can't think of anything more to try.  This problem used to arise once in a while, but not consistantly like it does now.  Hope it's not a HDD going bad.  If you have anymore suggestions, I'm willing to give it a try.  Thanks for your efforts.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It seems that the last entry before the system is booting again consistently relates to shutting down the MySQL service.

What do you use MySQL for? Perhaps removing this would resolve the problem.

I can see you don't have much data on this unit (less than 70GB) and it hasn't been factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) since you got it with 6.0.0 firmware. So one option would be to backup your data, do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.

Message 7 of 10
DaveR54
Aspirant

The Plex Media Server appears to be the culprit.  When I removed it from the NAS, the unit could restart or shut down consistantly.  Something has happened to Plex that it won't even reinstall now.  I guess I'll have to go without, but I'll sure miss the nice user interface it had, showing album artwork and info on the artists.  But I'm sure glad you were able to find the problem.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think the problem is Plex. Plex doesn't use MySQL.

I have sent you a PM.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After cleaning some things up the NAS now can shutdown properly with Plex installed.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements