× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 Adding additional drives

MadTrucker902
Aspirant

RN204 Adding additional drives

I have the RN204 currently w/ 2x WD 6T NAS drives running RAID 0 (mirrored) showing a total of 5??T of usable space. I want to add 2 more of the same drives so I can run RAID 5, or equiv, and utilize all 24T of storage. I have already been adding files to the NAS. Once I add the new drives will it automatically re-configure for the other RAID and re-distribute my files accordingly, or will I have to delete everything, install the new drives, then upload again. If so, will I have to re-install PLEX and set that up as well? So far, everything has been running very smooth, and as I've learned, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN204 Adding additional drives

If you are running with the default xraid, all you need to do is hot-insert another 6 TB into an empty slot.  It will take a while to expand (days) and the NAS will be slower during the process.  But it should be automatic.

Though I recommend making sure your backup is up to date before installing firmware updates or manipulating disks.

BTW, the new disks will need to be at least the same size as your current 6 TB drives.

Message 2 of 4
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@MadTrucker902 wrote:

I have the RN204 currently w/ 2x WD 6T NAS drives running RAID 0 (mirrored) showing a total of 5??T of usable space. I want to add 2 more of the same drives so I can run RAID 5, or equiv, and utilize all 24T of storage.

This would be a Flex-RAID volume. You would need to create a RAID 5 with 2 new 6 TB disks while in Flex RAID, copy your data over from the RAID 0 to the RAID 5, then destroy the RAID 0, re-enable X-RAID, and then you can expand the array.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@kohdee wrote:

@MadTrucker902 wrote:

I have the RN204 currently w/ 2x WD 6T NAS drives running RAID 0 (mirrored) showing a total of 5??T of usable space. I want to add 2 more of the same drives so I can run RAID 5, or equiv, and utilize all 24T of storage.

This would be a Flex-RAID volume. You would need to create a RAID 5 with 2 new 6 TB disks while in Flex RAID, copy your data over from the RAID 0 to the RAID 5, then destroy the RAID 0, re-enable X-RAID, and then you can expand the array.

Something is very confused here.  RAID-1 is mirrored. RAID-0 is something else altogether.  RAID-1 could be either Flex-RAID or XRAID.  

MadTrucker902- can you post a snapshot of the volume tab in the web admin UI?

In windows, you'd take the snapshot by selecting the browser window with the mouse, and then entering alt + print screen.  Then you can open paint, and paste it using ctrl-v.  Crop it as desired, and save it as a png file.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements