× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN204 Frozen On

DALivingston
Aspirant

RN204 Frozen On

Good Day,

I have a RN204 with 2 6TB drives. It is frozen in the On status. As soon as I plug it in it lights up, the top row of the display is all solid white blocks, the network cable indicator lights are blinking but it is not connected to the network. The indicators at the top are are all lit up irregardless of drives inserted. The on/off switch does nothing. The fan is not running.

I have tried all of the suggestions re:reset buttons etc. And none have worked. The drives seem to be operating as I can plug them in to a computer and they show up. They cannot be accessed.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can try to unfreeze the RN204?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can access the drives?

Thank you for your help,

David

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't own a 204, but most ReadyNAS power up upon connection to power, regardless of the condition prior to loss of power.  So, that much of your situation is likely normal.

The rest of it sounds like a hardware problem.  If you can't even press and hold the power button to shut it down, it's not a software issue (on the drives or in the flash).  Bad RAM or CPU are likely candidates.  I know the CPU cannot be replaced on a 204, and I don't believe the RAM can either.  A bad internal power converter might also do it, but is also not repairable.  You could try a replacement external power brick in case the internal converter just isn't getting enough current, but it's a long shot.

Message 2 of 7
DALivingston
Aspirant

Thank you. I was hoping it was otherwise. I think my best bet is to buy a new unit and plop the drives in.

Message 3 of 7
bedlam1
Prodigy

Is your 204 still in Warranty as you may be able to RMA it

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

Is your 204 still in Warranty as you may be able to RMA it

The warranty is 3 years for the original purchaser - you should certainly check to see the NAS is still covered.

Message 5 of 7
DALivingston
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. The warranty expired in June. It made it 2 months out of warranty.

Message 6 of 7
bedlam1
Prodigy

Oh bad luck, I think if it was me I would buy a cheap replacement power brick before investing in a new NAS, which you could probably use on that anyway

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements