× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 - booting stuck at 88% following power cycle

gsned
Aspirant

RN204 - booting stuck at 88% following power cycle

My RN204 is primariliy used to run plex and share a couple of SMB shares.  Last night the smb shares became inacessible, along with the web interface timing out.  This happened last year (presume it was just the size of the plex library that had caused some sort of memory issue) and I decided to power cycle.  On the first power cycle, the web interface eventually came up with a error saying Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4.  

I thought hmm maybe something not right so I rebooted from the web interface and went to bed.

8 hours later - the readynas LCD panel still says booting which appears to be stuck at 88% and a press of the power button says upnp.http.service 

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

Model: RN20441D|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN204 - booting stuck at 88% following power cycle

I suggest using Netgear paid support (my.netgear.com) to resolve this.  

Message 2 of 4
gsned
Aspirant

For anyone with similar issues:

I performed an OS re-install which allowed the web interface to come back up at least but however wouldn't show up any volumes - just saying remove disk 1,2,3,4 but did however allow me to download the logs.

the disk_info log showed my disk 1 as having pending sectors (i'm not exactly sure what this means perhaps someone here could enlighten me?) . However after powering down, removing the first drive and booting in read only mode my volume shows back again.  Currently updating my backups before I do a full wipe and start from scratch.

Would anyone here be able to look at my logs to tell me whether this is actually a physical drive issue or merely some corrupt data (i.e. do i need to head out to the shops to replace drive 1 or can I just wipe and start again - I would rather not have to drop another £200 to replace a drive if it's just a software issue)

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@gsned wrote:

the disk_info log showed my disk 1 as having pending sectors (i'm not exactly sure what this means perhaps someone here could enlighten me?) . \

When a disk write to a sector fails, then the sector is reallocated (with the correct data written there).  In this case the drive updates it's reallocated sector count.

When a disk read to a sector fails, then the sector isn't re-allocated because the drive doesn't have the correct data to write there.  The drive flags it, and updates the pending sector count.

Note these stats are tracked by the drive itself - reported by the drive in the SMART statistics.  I think it's clear that the drive is failing, and that it needs to be replaced.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements