× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 issues with 1 disk

Dalo-Harkin
Aspirant

RN204 issues with 1 disk

Hi All, 

My RN204 has been workign perfectly for well over 5 years so I was long overdue a problem ha ha 

A little extra info:-

Disk 1 - 2TB

Disk 2 - 2TB

Disk 3 - 3TB

Disk 4 - 2TB

All in X RAID (RAID 5)

around 2.5TB free space left, 23GB of snapshots

After I upgraded the firmware to 6.2.5 latest the other day (coincidence I think) I started to get a lot of AAT errors on Disk 3.

I removed the disk and tried to put a 1TB in its place but it came up with the flashing data degraded and kept doing so and did not even try and add the new 1TB disk into the pool.

I put the original 3TB disk back in, and it started to recover data (albeit very slowly) 5% in 24 hours.

So my question is, once it has recoved all data, should I be able to just add a 2TB drive (looking at the free space above of 2.5TB) I should have around 500GB of spare space?

Thank you in advance for any help

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN204 issues with 1 disk

XRAID won't shrink an array, it will only expand one.

So you can't replace a 3 TB drive with anything smaller.

Message 2 of 7
Dalo-Harkin
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for posting, even if there is 2.5TB free space across all 4 disks?
Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, since only 2TB of the 3TB is actually in use, the array doesn't need to shrink and I believe you can replace it with a 2TB.  I think I did that experiment back when I got my last new NAS and tried out a lot of stuff.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure enough to recommend you buy a 2TB to use.  But if you already have the 2TB, then do try it and let us know what happened.

Message 4 of 7
Dalo-Harkin
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, so once the data is recover off the damaged 3TB drive, I just leave the system powered on, remove the 3TB drive and then just swap it for a 2TB drive or larger and then the system will just incorporate that into the xraid setup and my data will be there as it was before?

I'm just a little unclear on the procedure as it's been a long time since I put it all together and set it up and it's mainly used only for file storage and streaming of my own media
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Actually, since only 2TB of the 3TB is actually in use, the array doesn't need to shrink 

Oops, that's correct.  I saw the mixed disk sizes, but somehow missed the fact that there was only one 3 TB.

So the 2 TB should have been ok, but it's not something I've seen confirmed with recent firmware.

@Dalo-Harkin wrote:
Thanks for your reply, so once the data is recover off the damaged 3TB drive, I just leave the system powered on, remove the 3TB drive and then just swap it for a 2TB drive or larger and then the system will just incorporate that into the xraid setup and my data will be there as it was before?

Yes, that is the procedure.  

@Dalo-Harkin wrote:

it's been a long time since I put it all together and set it up 

What firmware are you running? 

BTW, the RN204 was launched in October 2015 (about 3 years ago, not over 5).  Can you confirm that you have an RN204 and not the older RN104?

Message 6 of 7
Dalo-Harkin
Aspirant

Hi,

Maybe it's not been as long as I thought, it definitely feels longer than 3 though.
It's the very latest firmware, it was updates literally hours before my issue arose. 6.9.5 I think it is.

I will get another disk and let you know how I get on, thank you both for your posts and help
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements