× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 will not get IP address

kmelcher
Aspirant

RN204 will not get IP address

I am having major problem getting my RN204 to connect to my network.  Started about a month ago when the NAS would not find an IP address.  Currently when I try to power off I get a do_exit+9ec error.  I can only eleminate this by unplugging the power.  I have tried multiple Ethernet cables and ports on my router.  Same issue occurs even with ethernet cables unplugged.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RN204 will not get IP address

Hi @kmelcher, it sounds currently you want your nas getting its ip-address via DHCP assigned by your router. First thing to simplify the situation for further troubleshooting I would assign a fix ip-address either by using the admin page (preferred in your situation) or by reserving it in the router's configuration.

To do this on the nas use admin page/network and click the cogwheel to select "settings". Then do the following:

1) Click the IPv4 tab and change "use DHCP" to "static". When choosing the ip-address for the system, make sure that your choice is not already used by another device on your private LAN. Otherwise you will make things worse.

2) Make sure the subnet mask is matching the one your router is on. Otherwise the nas will not find the router.

3) Make sure the address mentioned for the router is correct. Otherwise the nas will not find the router.

4) Make sure the listed address for dns servers is the one for the router.

If you are using both ethernet ports, you need to do above for both ports. If you use a bond of ports, just change the properties of the bond as layed out above.

Reboot the nas and test its behaviour under the new conditions.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@kmelcher wrote:

Currently when I try to power off I get a do_exit+9ec error.  I can only eleminate this by unplugging the power.  

This error is often related with the physical ethernet connection, not the IP configuration.  I don't recommend making any changes to the IP configuration just yet.

There was a problem with ethernet stability in some of the older releases.  If you aren't running 6.9.5, then upgrade to that first.  Then see if the error continues.

If 6.9.5 still fails, I would check the warranty status (and if covered) I'd request an RMA.  If the system isn't covered by warranty, you should try "cool" mode as a workaround - the physical ethernet problem is related to the system board temperature, and "cool" mode might at least reduce the odds.

Message 3 of 9
kmelcher
Aspirant

Since I can not connect to the ethernet what is the best way to update the firmware?

Message 4 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @kmelcher

Welcome to the Community!

You can download the latest firmware on your RN204 Support page and access the NAS directly using a computer.

By default it is set to obtain DHCP from your router, connect your PC directly on the NAS and both should end with a a 169.254.x.x IP. You can then access the NAS using the Hostname and if you have not changed the Hostname yet the default would be NAS-XX-XX-XX wherein XX would be the Last six of the 6 Hexa digits of the primary MAC Address. to access the Admin page you need to go to http://nas-xx-xx-xx/admin

Once you are on the admin page you can then locally update the ReadyNAS OS.

Note: If doing this procedure still cannot let you in on the Admin page, might be time to contact Support to check for any Hardware issue related to your NIC.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 5 of 9
kmelcher
Aspirant

I am assumng the MAC address is the MAC1 number on the back of the NAS.  When I plug directly into the ethernet port to my computer I do not get any response to the http://nas-xx-xx-xx/admin using the last 6 digits from this address.

Message 6 of 9
kmelcher
Aspirant

Contacting support seems to be a circular web.  The hardware is still under warrenty.  How do I contact support without a support contract?

Message 7 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @kmelcher

Yes the Primary Mac would be Mac1 on the back of the NAS or your Eth0.

If you want to contact Support for hardware replacement, you can login to my.netgear.com and create a case for RMA.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@kmelcher wrote:

How do I contact support without a support contract?

Try this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/LED-blinking-Continuously-blinking-W...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements