× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN212 Backup allways full ?

Boolnet
Aspirant

RN212 Backup allways full ?

Dear all,

I have a ReadyNas RN212 which works just fine, and I am very happy about it 🙂

However, there is a little issue:

I do overnight backup to a remote disk over SSH (rsync over remote SSH). It works fine. The datas are correctly saved remotely. That is cool 🙂

The problem is that every night , it does a FULL backup. Can't we do an INCREMENTAL backup ? The idea is to avoir to copy all the data over and over again.

I firmware of the ReadyNAS is up-to-date (6.10.2).

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN212 Backup allways full ?

@Boolnet wrote:

The problem is that every night , it does a FULL backup. Can't we do an INCREMENTAL backup ? The idea is to avoir to copy all the data over and over again.

There is a setting for that.  Is the backup job using it? 

Message 2 of 13
Boolnet
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your answer... Sorry, but I don't know where is that setting and I don't know how I can check this setting... Can you please advise ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Boolnet wrote:

Thank you for your answer... Sorry, but I don't know where is that setting and I don't know how I can check this setting... Can you please advise ?

It's a setting on the backup options tab - though it is worded the other way around (saying how often you want to make a full backup).

incremental.png

How are you determining that system isn't doing incremental backups?

Message 4 of 13
Boolnet
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

I tried that setting, and I tried it on 'First Time' and on 'Every week'... same result :-(.

I assume it does always do a full backup because of the time it takes (sereval hours) to proceed to the next backup...

I have one backup that contain 100GB, and it takes more than the night to complete (despite the fact that it did a backup the day before)...

What can I do ?

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Boolnet wrote:

I assume it does always do a full backup because of the time it takes (sereval hours) to proceed to the next backup...

I have one backup that contain 100GB, and it takes more than the night to complete (despite the fact that it did a backup the day before)...

What can I do ?

Download the full log zip file, and look at the details in the backup logs. 

backup_XXX.log contains a summary for all of the backup jobs XXX and that includes an indication on whether the backup job was full or not. Start and finish times are in Unix epoch time format - you can convert them to GMT using this website: https://www.epochconverter.com/

backup_XXX_copy.ZZZZZZZZZZ.log is a summary of the most recent backup run for job XXX.  It holds a list of the files that were backed up, along with the number of bytes that were sent and received over the network.

If the two NAS are in different locations, it would also be useful to know the internet upload speeds for both locations.

Message 6 of 13
Boolnet
Aspirant

Hello Stephen

First, thank you for your support.

Second, here is an extract of the log:

---

Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: rsync+ssh
Backup Source: [COMMANDES]/
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync+ssh]/gbackup.innovip.be://data/Gback-XXXXX/Online-backup/Documents/COMMANDES
Backup Start Time: Thu Jan 30 2020 1:05:30 AM
Backup Finish Time: Thu Jan 30 2020 3:41:39 PM
Backup Status: Success

---

So, it does say it does an Incremental Backup, but it takes more than 14 hours to complete... Isn't it strange ?

Indeed, the 2 NAS are in DIFFERENT LOCATION, but... 14 hours... seems VEEEEERRRYYY slow to me (specialy if we consider than both sides have very good internet connections)...

What do you think ?

Message 7 of 13
Boolnet
Aspirant

And... in addition to what I said, I see the following at the end of the log:

---

sent 179,470,264,904 bytes  received 1,327,956 bytes  3,414,246.85 bytes/sec
total size is 179,421,146,439  speedup is 1.00

---

Thank you in advance.

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Are you looking in the log zip file, to see what exactly was being backed up?  Maybe also look at a smaller share, as it might be easier to troubleshoot.

Note that "incremental" still means file by file backup.  The backup doesn't update parts of files - if it thinks a file has changed, it will update the entire thing.

Message 9 of 13
Boolnet
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

I look at the log file of a backup (backup log) ...

Whether it is a small backup or a big one 😞

Parts of files are NOT modified. I am still thinking it backup everything over and over again 😞

What can I do ?

😞 Help please 🙂 !

Message 10 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Are both NAS synchronized to an internet time server?  If the time stamps are off, the NAS may not think the files are the same.

Message 11 of 13
Boolnet
Aspirant

Hello again Stephen,

Yes, both NAS are synchronised through an Internet Time Server, and they are exactly (to the second) at the same time....

😞

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Boolnet wrote:

Parts of files are NOT modified. I am still thinking it backup everything over and over again 😞

Do you have either of the two check boxes set on the options tab of the backup job?

Do you mean "some of the files being backed up were NOT modified"?  

Or that "parts of some files were modified, but those entire files were backed up again"?  If this is what you meant, that is normal.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements