× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN212 Last update messed up my MacBook Pro access to ReadyNAS

joe_wht
Luminary

RN212 Last update messed up my MacBook Pro access to ReadyNAS

My ReadyNAS 214(212) has worked PERFECT for 5+ years.  My MacBook Pro Laptop & Windows Desktop could access all my ReadyNAS storage shares SUPER FAST.

-- I know I don't update my ReadyNAS firmware regularly...

SO, 3 weeks ago I updated the software and my Mac & Windows could not login.

After fiddleing around I got both to access the NAS... HOWEVER..

However, After I close Windows Expl or Mac Finder.. then later on open it back up

it takes 30 to 60 seconds (or longer)  to reconnect. B4 the update this took 2 seconds!! !!

Each morning or evening when I'd boot up my Macbook.. B4 it connected in a few seconds..

NOW-- after the firmware update.. it takes like 60 seconds...

How the HELL can I get back to the fast 2 seconds connection ??

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Probably not relevant to your issue, but your network access settings are a bit odd.  Either the users group should be enabled or anonymous access should be disabled.  There's no point in denying access for a group if anonymous access is allowed.

• Is disk spin-down enabled on your NAS?
  • What firmware were you running before the update, and what firmware are you running now?

Perhaps also try cutting back on services.  If you don't use NFS (or Rsync), you should disable them.  You might also test connection speed with antivirus disabled.

Message 2 of 6
joe_wht
Luminary

@StephenB  Thank you for the info.  Give me MORE INFO!!

It's been a while since I " Re-Loaded" everything.

Actually the 1st time was when everything LOCKED UP several years ago. 

The 2nd and last time I added a new (identical) HD <4 HD each 3TB -- Raid10 >.

--- Do you (would you) suggest that I -- ? -- Format & Reload ?

This morning I had my RN214 (212)  to backup ALL of my shares. Looks like it did it perfect, only leaving out junk files like "Thumbs"

What steps would you take in me setting up everything?

..  I mainly use my MacBook Pro (90%).  I have a Windows Desktop(10%) in my "Office" that I only use for Printer/Scanner purposes like photo scaning or to scan in all my bills, statements, purchases, invoices.. into one PDF file on the last day of each month. 

I'm the only person living here.. I do have family that'll drop in. 

The only Share I'd keep private just for me is my "ScannedFileCabinet" -- maybe my Documents.

... What "Service" buttons & Share settings would you suggest.. & other info??

Give me some tips .. Boss Man

I've been torn with ReadyNAS  Plex and iTunes.

I like Plex adding missing info, but then

I like iTunes loading music to my iPhone..

Then Plex will devide up folders I've downloaded..

and iTunes messes stuff up.. I think I'm "Manually" doing iTunes--

Next week I'll probably find that iTunes REMOVED half my music uploading it somewhere and I'll be at work in the boonies with NO CELL SERVICE ... and I can't listen to my music because I didn't know iTunes  F'd my cell.

ARGGG

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@joe_wht wrote:

I like iTunes loading music to my iPhone..

and iTunes messes stuff up.. I think I'm "Manually" doing iTunes--

You must be running iTunes on the Mac, (it's off in your screenshot).  The freeware server on the ReadyNAS can't be connected with your iPhone. 

Apple recently announced that iTunes is being discontinued (though it might still be used on Windows).  Personally I won't miss it - I think it's very frustrating.  They kept changing it around, but it never got any easier to use.

@joe_wht wrote:

I like Plex adding missing info ... 

Then Plex will divide up folders I've downloaded..

I use Plex mainly for videos, but I do have a music library there as well.  FWIW, I run it on a windows platform (with the media files on the NAS) instead of running it on the NAS natively.

It will sometimes mis-match some files, which will create the "division" you are talking about.  If it's confused about the album (or video name) you can manually fix the match.

Also, if the music album has different artists for different tracks, it might also divide the album (one for each artist).  I think you can also overcome that manually, but it's been a while since I had to do it.

@joe_wht wrote:

The only Share I'd keep private just for me is my "ScannedFileCabinet" -- maybe my Documents.

... What "Service" buttons & Share settings would you suggest.. & other info??

I am a bit confused on exactly what you have.  Do you just have a 2-bay RN212?   Or do you have both the RN214 and the RN212 (using one to back up the other).  FWIW, the RN212 and RN214 were launched in October 2015 - so you've only had them in service for 3-4 years (not 5+).

Disabling services you don't use will free up memory on the NAS, which can give you some performance boost.

Based on the setup you described above, you can disable NFS (since you aren't using it).  If you are using Plex, then you can also disable ReadyDLNA (since Plex has it's own DLNA server built in).  If you are using only SMB to access the NAS from your Mac, then you can also disable AFP. 

I don't know if you are using rsync or not (it is one of the backup protocol options in the backup jobs).  If you aren't, you can disable that one too.

On network permissions - I suggest enabling the access for the users group for your public share.  Anonymous access will allow guests to access the files when they visit (assuming you give them normal wifi access).  So if you don't want that you should disable it.

If you want to lock down a share, then you do need to disable anonymous access.  If your guests aren't using your Mac or Windows PC, that's likely all you need to do (since they don't have an account on the NAS).

@joe_wht wrote:

It's been a while since I " Re-Loaded" everything.

Actually the 1st time was when everything LOCKED UP several years ago. 

The 2nd and last time I added a new (identical) HD <4 HD each 3TB -- Raid10 >.

--- Do you (would you) suggest that I -- ? -- Format & Reload ?

If it's been several years, then a factory default and reload might improve your speeds some.  Netgear has made some optimizations to the file system that can only be applied to new file systems.  

But we don't really understand the sudden change in mounting/accessing the shares yet - and it's not clear to me that rebuilding the NAS will fix that problem.  Is this only on initial access?  Or has folder browsing also become sluggish?

One thing you should check is whether "strict sync" is enabled on the shares.  That's an SMB option.  Select network access on the share settings wheel, then SMB, then click on advanced.  You should see it there.   If it is enabled, try disabling it, and see if the mounting speed improves.

Since you have AFP enabled at the moment, you could try accessing the shares with both AFP and SMB, and see if both are sluggish on initial access, or if this issue only affects one.

Also, if you have disk spindown enabled on the system->power page, try disabling it.  If the disks need to spin up when you access the NAS, that will slow initial access.  If that helps, then consider setting a spindown schedule - leaving the disks spinning when you normally use the NAS, but allowing them to spin down off-hours.

You could also try disabling antivirus and file search on the NAS, and see that improves the mount time.  If that makes no difference, then turn them back on again.

Message 4 of 6
joe_wht
Luminary

@StephenB  -THANK YOU-THANK YOU-THANK YOU- !!

It's FIXED.. Back to the way it was before.. Nice & Fast!

I have the RN214, 4bay Only. 

... Strict Sync WAS Enabled on EVERYTHING.

... I turned off  Spindown

... I turned of antivirus

.. I turned off ReadyDLNA, AFP, NFS, FTP, & Antivirus.

***** What is on is : SMB, UPnP,  HTTP, HTTPS, & File Search***

I totally have no idea what they all do.

Did  I turn off too much ?  haha

I access Files, Music,  & Pics from my NAS Mainly from my Macbook- Sometimes from my PC both Ethernet connected.  Also cel & ipad.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I could help. Smiley Happy

@joe_wht wrote:

... I turned off  Spindown

... I turned of antivirus

.. I turned off ReadyDLNA, AFP, NFS, FTP, & Antivirus.

***** What is on is : SMB, UPnP,  HTTP, HTTPS, & File Search***

Did  I turn off too much ?  

Spindown can save some power, so you might consider enabling that on a schedule - turning it on when you generally aren't using the NAS anyway.  

File Search creates an index on the NAS that makes it faster to find files.  It is integrated with spotlight on the Mac (https://kb.netgear.com/000045492/ReadyNAS-OS-6-8-File-Search ), so you might try re-enabling it.  If the speeds are still good, then maybe leave it on.  

If the PC and Mac already have antivirus software running, then you can leave off the AV on the NAS.  If not, then you're probably better off getting AV for the PC/MAC (avast perhaps) instead of turning it on in the NAS.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements