× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 Cannot connect

Starminder
Guide

RN214 Cannot connect

Raidar sees it, but I cannot connect to the admin page through a web browser, connection refused.  Apparently pool is offline.  I've had a case open for almost a week now with little response :/.  Can't seem to attach logs here, either.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Starminder wrote:

Can't seem to attach logs here, either.

And you shouldn't post them publicly. 

@JohnCM_S can check on what the hold-up is on getting a response on your case.  He might also be willing to review your logs.  

Message 2 of 22
Starminder
Guide

OK, that would be awesome if someone could take a look.  My device has been down for a week now, and I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Message 3 of 22
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Starminder,

You may PM me the case number so I can check what happened to the case.

You can also send to me the logs so we can review it as well. You may upload it to Google Drive then PM me the download link.

Regards,

Message 4 of 22
Hopchen
Prodigy

@Starminder 

I can also take a look at those logs for you.

Upload the log zip file to Google drive or similar. Share it and PM me the link to download them.

Cheers

Message 5 of 22
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi again

Thanks for sending logs over.

Something odd is going on with the raids here. I think you were running a raid0 on 3 disks (Volume: "Pool")?

Did you try to replace a disk at some point? Or did you try and add a disk?

Let me know a little more about your setup. Cheers

Message 6 of 22
Starminder
Guide

Yes, the current setup is raid0 with three 8TB disks and the Volume name is Pool.  I noticed Plex was offline and rebooted, now the volume is ofline and I cannot connect to the admin interface.  Like I mentioned, Raidar dies see it, but I'm stuck in this half pregnant state.  Is there way to get to a safe mode from here?  Thanks for looking, I need all the help I can get.

Message 7 of 22
Starminder
Guide

I have booted into tech support mode....still stuck, appreciate thoughts on what comes next.

Message 8 of 22
Starminder
Guide

Still stuck.  Anyone?  Bueller?

Message 9 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Starminder wrote:

Still stuck.  Anyone?  

It'd be best to wait for @Hopchen or @JohnCM_S since they've seen your logs.

My next step would be mount the OS partition and chroot.  You do that by entering

# rnutil chroot

Were you able to access the NAS shares with SMB before you booted into tech support mode?

Message 10 of 22
Starminder
Guide

I'm on Windows 10.  I only tried web browsers to accesss the admin interface, so far still to no avail.  Raidar can see the box, that's how I got the logs.  Thanks!

Message 11 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Starminder wrote:

I only tried web browsers to accesss the admin interface, so far still to no avail.  

Then I suggest rebooting the NAS normally, and seeing if you can access the shares from file explorer.

The results there will focus the rest of the troubleshooting.

Message 12 of 22
Starminder
Guide

Thank you.  Went back to a normal boot.  No Admin page access from a browser.

Tried Windows Explorer. There's a "ghost" there, but I get the error:

"Windows cannot access \\\SPROCKET\Documents          

Check the spelling of the name.  Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.  To try and identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose. 

Error code 0x80070035

The Network Path was not found.

Raidar sees it. but indicates the volume is inactive.

Message 13 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Starminder wrote:

Raidar sees it. but indicates the volume is inactive.

Ok.  A reasonable next step is to power down the NAS and test the disks in a Windows PC with vendor tools.  That would be Lifeguard for Western Digital and Seatools for Seagate.  You can connect either with SATA or via a USB adapter/dock.

Label the disks by slot as you remove them.

Message 14 of 22
Hopchen
Prodigy

Sorry @Starminder 

I left you hanging. Had to go inactive for a while. Where did you end up with this?

Message 15 of 22
Starminder
Guide

No worries @Hopchen .  I appreciate your help.  I'm still in the same boat.

I tried rebooting to no avail.  Cannot see device through admin page.  Can see device with Raidar.  Per Tier 2 support, booted to Tech Support mode.  Case was escalated to Tier 3 over a week ago, have not heard from anyone since.

I guess I can run the tools and test the disks next, I was trying to leave things in place for Netgear Support as they requested.

Message 16 of 22
Hopchen
Prodigy

Ok, so you opened a case with NTGR. Well, leave the NAS as is (in tech support mode) and wait til L3 takes a look at it 🙂

Message 17 of 22
Starminder
Guide

@Hopchen Well, I'm still back where I started, nothing's changed.  There's been no activity on my case in almost a month.  Is there a way to escalate the case to a supervisor?  

Case #41192043

Thanks!

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 18 of 22
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Starminder,

I have forwarded this to an appropriate team so they can send a follow up to the L3 handling the case.

Regards,

Message 19 of 22
Starminder
Guide

@JohnCM_S Another 10 days have gone by and nothing happened.  Can this get reassigned?

Message 20 of 22
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Starminder,

I have sent another follow up regarding the case. I am not sure why no one has contacted you yet. I will provide you an update once I get feedback.

Regards,

Message 21 of 22
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Starminder,

It looks like you are already in contact with L3. You may just update us if you will need again our assistance.

Regards,

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements