× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 Detected Increasing pending sector

digitalman161
Aspirant

RN214 Detected Increasing pending sector

I've been recieving these messages now every day.  Today every few minutes.  However the drive light is GREEN.  I have a new drive on order but until then can't I suppress these messages?  also, is there a procedure for swapping the disks?  Do I just pull the bad one and replace with good or do I need to take it offline etc....?  I am using RAID5.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN214 Detected Increasing pending sector

I don't have email alerts set up, so can't help you there other than to say that stopping alerts completely will stop them.

As for replacing the drives, step 1 is to insure you have a current backup.  Volume re-sync puts a lot of strain on the drives, and one near to failure can fully fail and cause the process to fail, leaving you no usable volume.  It is also good to check the SMART stats of your other drives both before and after re-sync.

When the time comes, replace the faing drive with the power applied.  I usually wait till the OS reports that it has detected the removed drive to put in a new one.  But it generally takes more time to swap the drive in the caddy than that takes, anyway.

Then wait for re-sync fo complete.  If your RAID consists of more than one RAID group, you'll see one re-sync per group.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements