× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 JBOD convert to X-RAID

aks-2
Apprentice

RN214 JBOD convert to X-RAID

Hi all,

Using OS6.10.3 via the web I/F.

I recently purchased a RN214 and (for testing and familirisation only) I installed 1 x 1TB disk as JBOD. I then installed a second 1TB drive and 'clicked' the X-RAID button. The volume was then shown as "RAID (RAID 1)" in the chassis image, but the volume status paned still showed JBOD. Disk 1 was shown in blue, whilst disk 2 remaind black (with a little green LED symbol). X-RAID conversion did not start, and the drives all went to sleep according to my power setting (5 mins, again for testing).

According to past threads like here, I expected the system to automatically start the conversion, but it clearly did not.

So, I did a reboot, and bingo a resync started. I am posting in case someone else is searching and gets confused, and perhaps Netgear will consider an improvement here too (I don't want to argue this is a 'bug' Robot tongue).

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage, RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

It should have also worked if you turned on XRAID before you added the second drive.

Message 2 of 3
aks-2
Apprentice

Thanks. I just destroyed the volume and added the second disk with/without X-RAID enabled before/after the second disk insertion. Everytime I enabled X-RAID, irrespective of if it was enabled before disk insertion or after the second disk is inserted, the system detected the second drive and the magic began: "Volume configuration switched to XRAID". The second drive changed to 'blue' with yellow status, whuch is all correct (resyncing)!

So, I have no idea why this was not the case initially. I have the logs, will review and report back if I spot anything.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements