× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 - No IP address after 6.6.1 Update

Pinkyg
Apprentice

RN214 - No IP address after 6.6.1 Update

Hi Guys,

I'm in need of some assistance.

I've just updated the rn214 to 6.6.1 and the nas now states no ip address on the front panel. A shutdown has not made any difference. 

It's directly connected to the router and was working fine before the update. 

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Re: RN214 - No IP address after 6.6.1 Update

Back up and running!

On my way home I remembered the NAS has a 2nd network port. If it is the settings for the NIC/port that have corrupted during the update, will the 2nd unused port be unaffected?

Swapped the ethernet cable to the other port and got an IP address. 

I was then able to reach the network settings on the device. 

The problem port was set back to DHCP and the cable swapped back, still no IP address.

A shutdown of the device and it's back up and running on the original port with an IP address. 

Set the IP address back to static as before and everything is now back as it was. 

Hopefully this can help anyone else who encounters the same problem. 

It's possible this issue occurs on devices that apply the update when set with a static IP?

Also thanks to Jak0lantash for your help and suggestions too 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Hi,

I should add, that there is no IP reservation for the NAS on the router, as I know another user resolved this issue by removing the reservation for his device.

Thanks

Geoff

Message 2 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 3 of 12
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Hi Jak0lantash,

Unfortunately RAIDar doesn't see the device as it has no IP address. I tried it before I revealed the message on the front panel (by pressing the power button).

I'm thinking I might have to go down the route of an OS reinstall as if it has no IP then I cannot connect to it at all?

Thanks

Geoff

Message 4 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Pinkyg wrote:

Unfortunately RAIDar doesn't see the device as it has no IP address

That's not a hard rule, but OK.

Is there any other message on the front panel?

Are you confortable with connecting the NAS to the Ethernet port of a PC and run a DHCP server such as TFTPd64 to see if you receive any DHCP request?

Message 5 of 12
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Hi Jak0lantash,

When I press the power button it will tell me the free disk space and then move on to say no IP address. From memory there was nothing else.

I could connect it directly to a pc and try that, if you could point me in the right direction for a clean download. It's not something I've done before though.

Thanks

Geoff

Message 6 of 12
Pinkyg
Apprentice

OK.

I have TFTPd64 installed. I won't be able to connect the NAS directly at the moment as I'm not home.

How should I configure TFTPd64? Should I shutdown and restart the NAS once connected directly to the PC?

Thanks

Geoff

Message 7 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

You most likely need to run TFTPd64 as admin. Under settings, only leave DHCP Server enabled, configure pool, lease time and defaut gateway, connect your NAS to your PC and see if your PC receives a DHCP request. You can try to reboot the NAS cleanly using the power button (press twice to shut down, press once to start).

Message 8 of 12
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Back up and running!

On my way home I remembered the NAS has a 2nd network port. If it is the settings for the NIC/port that have corrupted during the update, will the 2nd unused port be unaffected?

Swapped the ethernet cable to the other port and got an IP address. 

I was then able to reach the network settings on the device. 

The problem port was set back to DHCP and the cable swapped back, still no IP address.

A shutdown of the device and it's back up and running on the original port with an IP address. 

Set the IP address back to static as before and everything is now back as it was. 

Hopefully this can help anyone else who encounters the same problem. 

It's possible this issue occurs on devices that apply the update when set with a static IP?

Also thanks to Jak0lantash for your help and suggestions too 🙂

Message 9 of 12
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Well after a couple of days operational the NAS has once again decided not to pick up an IP address on one of the ports.

I can connect fine on the second port. THe first port will not connect on either dhcp or static.

Can I roll back to whatever version was before 6.6.1?

Message 10 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

I don't want to be a pain, but even though I don't work at NETGEAR anymore, I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with F/W 6.6.1. That said, you're free to do what you want and roll back to 6.6.0 (which you can find on netgear.com/support).

I'd advise you to clean up your subnet config, and switch everything to DHCP. Don't leave any device on the LAN on static IP, and the router will be able to manage just fine (as long as the pool configured on the router is big enough).

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:

I'd advise you to clean up your subnet config, and switch everything to DHCP. Don't leave any device on the LAN on static IP, and the router will be able to manage just fine (as long as the pool configured on the router is big enough).

I agree.  I'd also reboot your network when you are done (turn all clients off, then reboot the router, then turn them back on).

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements