× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 Stuck in Login loop Readnas Admin page - PLEASE HELP

NASNOOBking
Aspirant

RN214 Stuck in Login loop Readnas Admin page - PLEASE HELP

MODEL: RN214

Firmware: 6.10.2

i am having trouble accesing the Readynas Admin Page.  Also the front LCD screen of my nas seems to have stopped working as well.

I am fearing a failure coming soon and wonder what i should do, Its about 20ish TB of data, have aprox 10 backed up over a few External HDs

I am really new at this, i have used RAIDar; It sees the NAS but gives the status: Managment Services Unavailable

I have my logs but they will not attach.  If someone could guide me with this as well i would gladly upload

If someone could please help me i would greatly appricate it.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214 Stuck in Login loop Readnas Admin page - PLEASE HELP

@NASNOOBking wrote:

I have my logs but they will not attach.  If someone could guide me with this as well i would gladly upload

If someone could please help me i would greatly appricate it.

You don't want to post the logs publicly.  Instead, upload the zip into cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc), and then send a private message to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) and ask them to analyze them.  Send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

You can also look yourself at disk health  and the fullness of the OS partition.  Both are in volume.log (scroll down to the "=== df -h ===" section for the OS partition fullness.  It's /dev/md0 ).  You can look for other errors in system.log and kernel.log.

@NASNOOBking wrote:

I am fearing a failure coming soon and wonder what i should do, Its about 20ish TB of data, have aprox 10 backed up over a few External HDs

I am assuming that you can still access the data with file explorer (or finder if you have a mac).  If that's not correct, please post back.

Don't put any more data onto the NAS.

The first step is to back up the rest of the data while you still can.  So get enough USB drives to do that (perhaps one or two 10 TB EasyStores).  You want these right away, so maybe look at local retailers (so there is no shipping delay).  Since the NAS isn't responding to the Web interface, you'll need to connect the drives to a PC, and back up the NAS over the network.  FreeFileSync might a good tool for this.  BTW, connect the PC to the network with wired ethernet, as that will be more robust, and will be faster.

You can also arrange for paid support (my.netgear.com).  Don't purchase the gearhead stuff - that's the wrong package for the NAS.  Instead try to get per-incident support (or a service contract for the NAS).  Netgear will need you to boot into tech support mode, which might be problematic (since your LCD panel isn't responsive, and if you reboot the NAS the data volume might not mount at all).  So back up everything you can first.

Message 2 of 6
NASNOOBking
Aspirant

Here are the logs for my system

<redacted>

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@NASNOOBking wrote:

Here are the logs for my system

As I said, don't post the log zip publicly.  Send a private message to the mods.  I redacted your link.

Nov 15 11:12:19 PIRATE-NAS readynasd[2263]: Found RN204/RN214 nic down issue (RNAS-6628). Try to recover all the eth nics.
Nov 15 11:12:42 PIRATE-NAS readynasd[2263]: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Nov 15 11:22:15 PIRATE-NAS readynasd[2263]: RN204/RN214 nic software solution (RNAS-6628) did not work. After setting fan speed to 5000 RPM for 10 minutes, we still couldn't bring all the eth nics back.

Several errors like this.  If your NAS is under warranty (3 years), then I would ask for an RMA via my.netgear.com.  If it's not, then perhaps ask the mods ( @JohnCM_S and @Marc_V ) if there is any other remediation.

=== df -h ===
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 10M 4.0K 10M 1% /dev
/dev/md0 3.7G 2.8G 753M 79% /

Your OS partition is pretty full.  Normally it should be around 25%, not around 80.  There are several causes for this - one is that plex can sometimes leave transcoded files in the root partition. 

• Paid support (my.netgear.com) should be able to help on this. 
  • If you have ssh enabled and know how to use it, you could also resolve it on your own.  
  • You could also do a factory default, reconfigure the NAS and reload files from backup.

Nov 20 01:33:57 PIRATE-NAS apache2[13460]: [cgi:error] [pid 13460] [client 192.168.0.126:64615] AH01215: Connect rddclient failed: /frontview/lib/dbbroker.cgi, referer: http://192.168.0.141/admin/
Nov 20 01:33:57 PIRATE-NAS apache2[28624]: [cgi:error] [pid 28624] [client 192.168.0.126:64614] AH01215: Connect rddclient failed: /frontview/lib/dbbroker.cgi, referer: http://192.168.0.141/admin/

This is likely the login issue.   

Normally I'd suggest an OS reinstall, but I am a bit concerned about the fullness of the OS partition. Paid support might be a better option.

Do you have a backup of your data?

Message 4 of 6
NASNOOBking
Aspirant

I am currently backing up my data,

Quick question.

Is there a faster way than SMB in my current situation?

Is there anyway i could make a USB bridge and use SMB or something to back up the data?

I do have SSH enabled.  What file would i be looking for to remove to give the OS partion more space.  I do believe this is all steming from the transcoding thing you mentioned as i had an influx of transcodes on my machine in the last 2 weeks due to user error.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@NASNOOBking wrote:

Is there a faster way than SMB in my current situation?

Is there anyway i could make a USB bridge and use SMB or something to back up the data?

I do have SSH enabled. 

You could connect a USB 3.0 disk to the NAS, and manually mount. it with ssh  Then copy off the data.  It'd be best to format that disk as NTFS.  Not sure it would be any faster though.

@NASNOOBking wrote:

I do believe this is all steming from the transcoding thing you mentioned as i had an influx of transcodes on my machine in the last 2 weeks due to user error.

The plex transcoding files are chunk*.m4s (where the * is a longer string).  Some more information on finding them (and analyzing the root partition generally) is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-214-System-Volume-root-useage-9...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements