× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 Volume Error then not accesible

gsrocket
Aspirant

RN214 Volume Error then not accesible

RN 214 with 4 x 6TB WD red drives in RAID5, main use is media server.  Volume shows being inactive or dead.

I've read a couple related discusions here, very pertinent is my logs show 

Oct 03, 2019 03:14:35 PM

Volume: The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data

I rebooted in read-only mode hoping it would be a simple recovery, no change.

A very quick history.  NAS was new Nov 2015, no troubles until Dec 2018.  Had a drive going bad, replaced it.  Since that point in my logs, the only noetworthy logs I see are; errors began (unnoticed) in July for Antivirus download failures almost daily (but did intermittently load correctly). Then 1 week prior to my finding a failure, the already mentioned read-only note and finally, "System volume root's usage is 89%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

Where do I go from here?  TIA

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

One option would be to contact tech support.  You'd probably need data recovery (not sure):  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Did you follow the advice to back up the NAS when you got the read-only message on 3 October?

Message 2 of 13
gsrocket
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

One option would be to contact tech support.  You'd probably need data recovery (not sure):  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Did you follow the advice to back up the NAS when you got the read-only message on 3 October?

I appreciate the reply.  I did not back up, I have not received alerts lately so it was too late. That's an entirely different issue that may be my own fault.  Life's been complicated the past couple years, but that's not what we're here to talk about.  I have looked at the tech support options and not feeling like this NAS is going to serve me much into the future. So a large chunk of cash to diagnose and only possibly revover doesn't seem a wise investment.

I can replace all the media files (video/music), they are scattered across several smaller drives.  That and pics/documents/etc that were backups to my desktop, laptop, and phones made up 95% or more of the data.  So recovery would be nice, but I'm thinking throwing money at it just to be in the same position again in the future is unwise.

What I really desire, and I intended to include in my original post (but got distracted), is to learn WHY this happened and WHAT actually failed.  Seems like these are some common symptoms on this series NAS but I've not seen any discussion on the roots of the issues.  Solutions are great, but learning is the best I can hope for on this issue, I'm afraid.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@gsrocket wrote:

What I really desire, and I intended to include in my original post (but got distracted), is to learn WHY this happened and WHAT actually failed.  

Perhaps download the full log zip file from the web ui.  You can send a private message to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) with a downloadable link to the log zip file, and ask them to analyze them for you.  Don't post the logs publicly.  You can send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 4 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gsrocket,

Your NAS probably detected a file system problem which is why the volume became read-only. You may also send me the logs as what @StephenB has suggested so we can check the cause of the issue.

Regarding the error: 

"System volume root's usage is 89%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

This indicates that the NAS OS partition is about to get full. The usual cause of this issue is 3rd party apps installed on the OS partition via SSH.

Regards,

Message 5 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi gsrocket,

Regarding the error: 

"System volume root's usage is 89%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

This indicates that the NAS OS partition is about to get full. The usual cause of this issue is 3rd party apps installed on the OS partition via SSH.

The antivirus has also been known to fill the OS partition, and a problem with a backup job to a USB drive where it goes to the actual directory on the OS parttion instead of the USB drive that is supposed to be mounted to that directory is another.

Nonetheless, you need to get that fixed ASAP, or you will lose all access.

Message 6 of 13
gsrocket
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi gsrocket,

Regarding the error: 

The antivirus has also been known to fill the OS partition, and a problem with a backup job to a USB drive where it goes to the actual directory on the OS parttion instead of the USB drive that is supposed to be mounted to that directory is another.

Nonetheless, you need to get that fixed ASAP, or you will lose all access.

Thank you John and Sandshark,

This is along the lines of what I've expected to hear.  A few days ago, via the GUI, I ran the disk test with no errors reported upon completion.  With the volume not being identified, active, whichever term best suits my condition, is this enough to believe I do not have a physical disk issue going forward?  And with this condition, what in theory happens if I were to start with an OS reinstall? Or what is the proper approach to accessing the partition I cannot see?

Would a simpler solution be to destroy the volume and rebuild it or do either of you think there's a glimmer of hope in rectifying the OS partition issues in current state?

John, if looking at my logs would give better insight, I can work on that a little later today.

Moving forward, once this is resolved, how do I prevent the OS partition from filling?  I've been running the volume between 70-80% capacity, so I see the 20/30% threshold warnings often (and I'll probably rebuild bigger as soon as budget allows) but I've only seen one log entry for the root use maxing out.

Thanks folks!

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

The antivirus issue last summer showed up on RN100 systems, but I haven't seen it reported on the RN200.  The backup job glitch is certainly a possibility - it could also be caused by a third party app or package that is writing to the OS partition.  Since the system is used as a media server, I am thinking that it might be plex - which can sometimes write temp transcoded files in root of the OS partition.

@gsrocket wrote:

With the volume not being identified, active, whichever term best suits my condition, is this enough to believe I do not have a physical disk issue going forward?  And with this condition, what in theory happens if I were to start with an OS reinstall? Or what is the proper approach to accessing the partition I cannot see?

Would a simpler solution be to destroy the volume and rebuild it or do either of you think there's a glimmer of hope in rectifying the OS partition issues in current state?

Bad disks can sometimes pass the non-destructive SMART tests, so there's no quarantee that that there isn't a physical disk issue.

An OS-reinstall is a bad idea, as it requires OS partition space that you don't have.

If you need to remount the volume, then the best option is to see if paid tech support (my.netgear.com) can do that.  It will likely be simpler (and certainly cheaper) to do a factory default, reconfigure the NAS, and reload files from backup.  That assumes that you have a backup that can be easily restored of course.

Preventing it in the first place requires some knowledge of the cause.  If it is plex ,you could enable ssh, and check the OS partition from time to time for the transcoded clutter.  Normally you can remove the clutter before the volume is lost, especially if you take action as soon as you see the error.  A workaround would be to run plex on a PC, with just the media saved on the NAS.

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Preventing it in the first place requires some knowledge of the cause.  If it is plex ,you could enable ssh, and check the OS partition from time to time for the transcoded clutter.  Normally you can remove the clutter before the volume is lost, especially if you take action as soon as you see the error.  A workaround would be to run plex on a PC, with just the media saved on the NAS.

I'm not a Plex user, but I was wondering if the clutter can be identified by directory and/or a file name wild card such that a daily cron job could auto-clean?  I have similar clutter on a PC from another program and have created just such a daily process.

Message 9 of 13
gsrocket
Aspirant

@StephenB 

I do indeed run Plex on this Nas, if only I could access that partition to see if your theory is true...

Unless I hear anything else in the next 24 hours or so, I'm planning on starting from scratch this weekend.  I don't have a full back-up, but I'll be able to rebuild the data from multiple sources. Pain in the butt, but at least I can do that.  Once up and running, I'll monitor better, specifically the OS partition.  I never thought to monitor it at all...thanks for the tips.

I see a new build in the future, using a PC to run Plex as you mentioned. I'm already looking at building a new tower with a decent standalone RAID setup, possibly use the NAS to back it up. 

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:
I'm not a Plex user, but I was wondering if the clutter can be identified by directory and/or a file name wild card such that a daily cron job could auto-clean?  I have similar clutter on a PC from another program and have created just such a daily process.

Yes it could easily be done.  The file names are chunk*.m4s

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Sounds like someone who uses Plex should make this recommendation to the developer.  Of course, they also should recommend that the junk not be placed in the OS partition.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

...Of course, they also should recommend that the junk not be placed in the OS partition.

That would be the proper fix.  And of course the clutter should be automatically removed by the service.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements