× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 arm latest radiator version iTunes streaming support for Apple Music App Macos Catalina

Linux_lad
Aspirant

RN214 arm latest radiator version iTunes streaming support for Apple Music App Macos Catalina

NETGEAR 214 4Bay NAS   - iTunes Share issue

Current version of Raidiator 6.10.2

from the cli -

forked-daapd/6.10.2,now 24.2-0.netgear1 armel [installed]

(iTunes Shares use the forked-daapd demon to share the itunes Libuary from the Readynas box)

Current version of forked-daapd on the web is 26.5 with support for Music app.

The issue is with the version of forked-daapd currently in Raidiator, this version does not support the new MacOS Music app ( replacement for iTunes) which is now on MacOS Catalina and all versions going forward.

Does any one know when Netgear will update the version of forked-daapd to a later version such that the Music App can use the shared libuary. as was the case with iTunes previously.

Otherwise the iTunes share will become obsolete for any one using the latest MacOS / AppleTv

thank you in advance

Tim

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN214 arm latest radiator version iTunes streaming support for Apple Music App Macos Catalina

@Linux_lad

Welcome to the Community!

Thank you for reporting this, we have notified Support. This might need to be tackled as a bug and notify engineering about the possible issue. I would suggest opening a case with NETGEAR Support so it will be escalated to them and be fixed.

You can go to my.netgear.com and create a case. It would be best also to provide your information regarding your findings so we can get them to forward it right away.

Please let us know if you are having issues creating a case or registering your product so we can assist.

Many thanks!

Regards

Message 2 of 7
Linux_lad
Aspirant

Re: RN214 arm latest radiator version iTunes streaming support for Apple Music App Macos Catalina

Hi Marc

Thankyou for the reply. I may well be in the wrong location but when I try to contact support via mynetgear the only option is to pay for support, as my box is 1 day out of warrentie. Am I missing something, ? is their another way to contact support ?

Cheers Tim

Message 3 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Linux_lad

If your device is already out of warranty, it will require to have a contract purchased.

Can you send me logs and also screenshots of the issue you have encountered so we can try to report it.

I also sent you a PM.

Regards

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

If your device is already out of warranty, it will require to have a contract purchased.

Which of course is a very expensive way for a user to submit what amounts to an enhancement request.  It'd cost @Linux_lad $75 USD or more - even if he opts for per-incident support.

Message 5 of 7
Linux_lad
Aspirant

Hi

So first of all many thanks for the replys, not sure how the PM thing works not found it yet but I will keep looking.

Logs and screen shots are not going to be alot of use in this situation as their is nothing to see. To be clear the problem is one of progress rather than error.

iTunes has now been retired by Apple, the latest version of MacOS which  is Catalina no longer has iTunes and instead uses the new Apple Music App.

The iTunes shares on a ReadyNAS box usesa p[ackage (program) called forked-daapd to facilitate the sharing of the music libuary to clients on the local network.

It creates a database of the music stored on the ReadyNAS in the folders which are set to use the iTunes server, and then tells the local clients how to find them.

On the current version of Raidiator OS 6.10.2, which I have installed, the version of forked-daapd is 24.2-0. This version DOES NOT support the new Apple Music app.

See list of supported clients here -

https://github.com/ejurgensen/forked-daapd/blob/24.2/README.md

Only the latest version which is 26.6 is listed as supporting the Music app. 

See list of supported clients here - 

http://ejurgensen.github.io/forked-daapd/

I hope this clarifies the situation, cheers for now Tim

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Linux_lad wrote:

not sure how the PM thing works not found it yet but I will keep looking.

"PM" is "private message".  Click on the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements