× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 cannot access admin page or shares

teddis
Aspirant

RN214 cannot access admin page or shares

I've used my NAS since January 2016 without trouble. I powered it down for 3 weeks before today while away on a trip. I returned, powered it up, and now I cannot access the admin page, nor do shares appear. I tried reinstalling the OS per recommendations, and still no luck. I'm out of warranty unfortunately. Is paying the $149 support fee my only option at this point? I have a backup but rather not rely on that. Thanks for suggestions.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi teddis,

Is the NAS detected by RAIDar? If yes, what is the status of it?

Do you also see anything on the front display of the NAS?

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
teddis
Aspirant

Raidar reports healthy status. When I click Locate button, LED lights do not flash. When I click Download Logs or Diagnostics buttons, I enter password "password" or "admin" but dialog popups up showing "Not a valid User Name or Password". 

Front of the display shows:

NAS: 13% Free

ReadyNAS 192.168.0.6

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@teddis wrote:

When I click Download Logs or Diagnostics buttons, I enter password "password" or "admin" but dialog popups up showing "Not a valid User Name or Password". 

Did you try entering the old admin password for your NAS (the one that applied before you did the OS reinstall)?

FWIW, the default admin password for your NAS is password. 

Message 4 of 9
teddis
Aspirant

I did try but also failed. The OS Reinstall is supposed to reset to "password" but failed also. I've never had this happen before wher the admin page wouldn't show up. It's like the web server isn't running, but shares aren't either. 😞

Message 5 of 9
mdgm
Virtuoso

The good news from what you've described is the data volume is probably fine (the fact it's showing as 13% free would suggest that it has been mounted fine) and the problem is on the 4GB root volume.

Unless you are comfortable to go in via tech support mode (a boot menu option) and troubleshoot it yourself then support would be the way forward.

There could be a full 4GB root volume and/or some corrupt configuration files. If that proves to be all it is then hopefully it would be relatively straightforward to fix (but impossible to tell without looking at it).

Message 6 of 9
teddis
Aspirant

That's great news! I would be comfortable going in via tech support mode, but I would also need detailed notes on how to diagnose and fix. Does such an online resource exist? Thank you all so much.

Message 7 of 9
teddis
Aspirant

I successfully logged in with tech support mode:

> telnet 192.168.0.16

login: root

password: infr8ntdebug (found from another post)

But now I'm not sure my way around, can't find disk commands yet, or really what to do. Is there any online documentation that can help me at this point? 

I also logged into readycloud and it shows everything "healthy" and all my data volumes... But I still can't access the admin page. 😞 

Message 8 of 9
mdgm
Virtuoso

Tech support mode is intended for support but there are instructions in posts on the community about how to check disk health using smartctl (optional, more important if a problem with the data volume is suspected), how to check the status of the RAID using mdadm (also optional, more important if a problem with the data volume is suspected), how to start the root volume RAID, mount the root volume and check what's filling it.

If configuration files are corrupted that adds further steps as simply deleting what shouldn't be on the root volume may not be enough to resolve such a problem.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements