× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 vertical expansion failed

martinkitching
Aspirant

RN214 vertical expansion failed

Hi all

I foolishly managed to overlook the fact that my ReadyNAS214 (4x 2TB) was nearly full and I've switched one of the 2TB disks for a 4TB disk.  Using Frontview I can see that I now have 1x 3.6TB disk and 3x 1.8TB disks.  The increased capacity isn't showing as an increased data capacity though and I still only have 64kB of free space.  Can anyone advise me how to make the increased capacity available please?

cheers

martin

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
bedlam1
Prodigy

Add another 4 TB disk

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

It didn't fail, you didn't give it the space it needs.  The added 2TB of the 4TB drive has nothing to use for redundancy, so it remains unused until it does, which can only be solved by swapping out yet another 2TB for a 4TB or larger.  The, the volume will grow by 2TB -- 2TB of additional space and 2TB of additional redundancy.  If it's larger, then anything above 4TB will be in the same situation and go unused until it has a "mate". 

Message 3 of 4
martinkitching
Aspirant

Thank you 🙂  All makes sense now!  Although, adding another 4TB disk hasn't panned out as expected so I'm about to start a new thread

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements