× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN21400 - is it possible to upgrage os inside via apt?

EpicMorg
Aspirant

RN21400 - is it possible to upgrage os inside via apt?

Hello everyone! I've got RN21400 model. And I have been using it for 2-3 years. All is working ok.

Безымянный.png

I connected via ssh and saw that I have old debian on board.

002.png

And I have  some questions:

1. Can I replace "jessie" to "stretch" or "buster" in the sources.list?
  2. Will it be safe for data (i have jbod massive of 4 disks) in HDD if i upgrade os (apt upgrade)?
  3. Can future firmwares from web-panel broke something? 
Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

If you make that upgrade, you will have to replace everything and essentially have Netgear hardware running FreeNAS.

Buster is still in the test phase.  I don't know why you wouild even consider putting that on your NAS.

Stretch is the current release.  The changes are significant, and I'm happy to wait until Netgear has fully tested an OS version based on it before releasing.  But I'm sure they will, just as they did migrate to Jessie.

Jessie is still in long term support, so security patches and the like are still being released.  If I were using Linux on a desktop system, there may be a compelling reason to jump to Stretch, but it's a NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If you make that upgrade, you will have to replace everything and essentially have Netgear hardware running FreeNAS.

Buster is still in the test phase.  I don't know why you wouild even consider putting that on your NAS.

Stretch is the current release.  The changes are significant, and I'm happy to wait until Netgear has fully tested an OS version based on it before releasing.  But I'm sure they will, just as they did migrate to Jessie.

Jessie is still in long term support, so security patches and the like are still being released.  If I were using Linux on a desktop system, there may be a compelling reason to jump to Stretch, but it's a NAS.

Message 2 of 4
Hopchen
Prodigy

I agree with @Sandshark here. A NAS is supposed be reliable over everything else.

Installing a cutting edge OS version on the box, makes no sense to me.

NETGEAR will migrate to never versions of Debian when they see it necessary. The important components of the NAS are very much up-to-date, such as the filesystem (BTRFS) version, Anti-Virus, etc. It does not really matter then, what version of Debian it is running and better to run something tried and tested, for a NAS solution.

Message 3 of 4
EpicMorg
Aspirant

Thank you all very much for the answers. I was just curious, no more. I will not touch anything, and let everything be as it is.
Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements