× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN312 6.2.0 SMB Sharing access with Hosts List

MAW1
Aspirant

RN312 6.2.0 SMB Sharing access with Hosts List

I am using an RN312 on a PC network with Guest shares allowing anonymous access via SMB. One of the shares is used for a home business - so I restricted access to PCs and printers in the business by having a hosts list of allowed IPs. This has worked fine until a 6.2.0 upgrade today that did not allow anyone access to the share - access was denied or it asked for a username and password but as none are set up this did not work.

I tried 6.2.1 but his made no difference. Eventually I cleared the hosts list and now anybody can get to the share. Is this some deliberate change to behaviour with this upgrade - or a bug?
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Where did you set the hosts list?
Message 2 of 12
MAW1
Aspirant

In the SMB security settings for the share
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you configure that list again does it work this time?
Message 4 of 12
MAW1
Aspirant

No - as soon as I add an entry all machine are locked out including the one I am allowing.
Message 5 of 12
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

I just tried this with one of my devices running 6.2.0 and it works fine. I had a customer the other day who had similar issues as you though, turns out there was NATing between the client and the NAS in his setup though so that was the problem. May be worth looking in to.
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

MAW, can you provide more information on how the network is set up? Particularly the path between the business PCs and the NAS (and also between the NAS and PC you were using when you were locked out).
Message 7 of 12
MAW1
Aspirant

It is a single network with several unmanaged Netgear Gigabit switches to minimise wiring between rooms. Internet access, Wireless access and DHCP is provided by a BT Homehub 5. There are 2 Oki printers with Ethernet for network printing and scanning. There are three shares on the RN312 - a share for home business files, a share for media files for home use and a share for backing up work files and PCs.

We do not use active directory or any users with passwords. All the home business PCs run windows 7 (with static ip addresses) but the family also have Macs, iPads, etc using the system with DHCP.
Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Thanks. So that means there is no NAT on the path to the business PCs, and no chance of IP address changes. Is the workgroup on the NAS the same as the workgroup set on the PCs?

When you enter the host addresses, and then get a network password prompt-- What happens if you enter "admin' as the username, and the NAS admin password?
Message 9 of 12
grahamu59
Tutor

I've seen a similar issue on 6.2.0. I have a mapped share with IP host only limiting acces. It used to connect when a machine on the network boots, now I get an 'unabel to connect network drive' error. However if I wait about 10 mins after the PC has booted I then can connect manually (but not sooner).
Message 10 of 12
MAW1
Aspirant

Thanks for your help.

Tried changing workgroup on authentication page from "VOLUMES" to the same one as PC but it made no difference. Was not hopeful as I do not have any users set.

Tried admin and its password when it prompted me on mapping the share - but it made no difference - still did not work.

Any other ideas?
Message 11 of 12
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Try calling support and show them the issue during a Teamviewer session, they can escalate the case as a bug if required. What you're describing should work but it's hard to say without seeing it in action.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements