× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN312 blinking blue, SSH access ok but no SMB, no Admin Page, nothing

shen
Tutor

RN312 blinking blue, SSH access ok but no SMB, no Admin Page, nothing

Hi all,

I have some big problems. Over night my RN312 v6.7.5 was not accessable any more. I was unable to connect to the admin site or to my SMB shares. I managed to reboot the device using SSH, but the problems are still there.

I can access SSH and login as root, but still no SMB. Trying to access the device using my browser this is what I get after a while:

screenshot_05.png

What can I do? As this is my main storage device I have no access to my actual data 😞

Stefan

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 12
shen
Tutor

Re: RN312 blinking blue, SSH access ok but no SMB, no Admin Page, nothing

As I'm not the linux expert I just tried to read some logs. It may be interesting that according to my apache access log the whole issue started around midnight. There is a local machine that automatically checks a local website on my RN312 every minute and the last entry is from 23:59 yesterday so the trouble began with the new day.

It seems that actually mysql and apache are not started:

screenshot_06.pngscreenshot_02.png

But I still have no idea what went wrong since I did not change anything since the last firmware update which is some days ago 😞

Message 2 of 12
shen
Tutor

This is my RAIDar Status, however Protocol Download does not work.

screenshot_04.png

Message 3 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello shen,

I strongly suggest you contact support as this appears to be fixable from the back end. I checked your profile and found 5 ReadyNAS units registered to your name. The 2 units of RN312 has lifetime CHAT support while the one with SN that ends with C37 has no available support.

Regards,

Message 4 of 12
shen
Tutor

Meanwhile I could fix it myself. It turned out that even around 50% was reported as free on the 4 GB boot device this was declared as "no space left" which is very annoying. After deleting some log files and rebooting I'm back in business.

This seems to be a general problem which others had before - this should be addressed by NETGEAR by moving some stuff to other partitions or even gzipping old logs, because I'm afraid that I run into this problems again in some time as I can nothing do against it by myself. Am I right that these 4 GB are the flash memory?

Anyway thanks for answering!

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@shen wrote:

. Am I right that these 4 GB are the flash memory?

No, the OS partition is on the disks.

Though you may be good for now, I think there is still something wrong.  You shouldn't be seeing these errors with a 50% full OS partition.

Message 6 of 12
shen
Tutor

That worries me. I had several errors saying "No space left on device" in my logs what prevented starting different things. After cleaning up log files and restarting again I was back in business.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Did you shift the logs to the data volume, or take a look at them before you deleted them?

Message 8 of 12
shen
Tutor

I deleted them, but that where just logs that were very old and wouldn't have actual information. Some were from Apps that are not installed anymore.

Also I deleted some files in the cache.

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Ok.

What I suggest is that you keep your backups up to date (which is the best practice anyway).  Then when/if this recurs, I suggest doing a factory reset instead of cleaning the logs again.  Then rebuild/reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from the backup.

Message 10 of 12
shen
Tutor

Thanks, but this the last thing I want as I've lot's of snapshots I have to keep. The data is backed up daily to a second RN312, so this is mostly safe.

As I'm not the only one who ran into this problems, it would be great if the source of this trouble could be found - but I've no idea.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@shen wrote:

Thanks, but this the last thing I want as I've lot's of snapshots I have to keep.

To clarify - I didn't say to do a reset now.  Just that you should be prepared to do that if the issue recurs.  It sounds like you are.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements